C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Can anyone confirm by trap speed or dyno that low end torque lost with Corsa X-Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 04:24 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Can anyone confirm by trap speed or dyno that low end torque lost with Corsa X-Pipe?

The Corsa Extreme X Pipe (and recently installed Nitto drag radials 345/30/19) are the only mods to my 2016 Z with A8 trans.

I see that one very knowledgeable and accomplished drag racer here has lost low end torque with just the Corsa X Pipe and ran slower at the drag strip, and went back to the stock X pipe (with its 2 rear cats) and ran faster with the stock X Pipe and cats in his M7 car. Part of the theory on this is b/c the Corsa X Pipe is a 3 inch pipe and we know on a stock car bigger pipes can cost you low end torque. As most know the stock and Borla X Pipe are both 2.75 inches.

Now I love the extra sound that I get out of my car (which is way to quiet for me stock) with the Corsa Double Helix X Pipe but am not looking for any mods that might make my car slower in the 1/4 mile.

Has anyone else been able to confirm a loss of low end torque in either that M7 or A8 tranny C7 Z by way of trap speed at the track, 60 foot times or et, or on they dyno, when compared to the stock X Pipe?

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 09-26-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:52 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,536 Likes on 524 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Are you talking about the Corsa Double Helix X pipe? Never heard of the corsa extreme x pipe

http://marylandspeed.com/corsa-30-do...61-p-5622.html

There is a link for reference.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:58 PM
Dfwz06
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

That's like saying that you'll lose torque from putting on headers.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:05 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

I HIGHLY doubt the car lost power from the X pipe.. Its much more likely it lost power from bad air at the track on the night with the X pipe on. I'd need to see the DA from both nights to believe it had ANYTHING to do with the x pipe...

Another thought is maybe it had a tank of weaker octane fuel in it and it was pulling timing or something. (not all 93 octane is always the same)

That's just like people saying that headers kill torque and that couldn't be further from the truth...on the contrary, they almost always gain torque...

Definitely something else contributed to the loss of performance on that one night...IMOP.
The following users liked this post:
Dfwz06 (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 07:09 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
Are you talking about the Corsa Double Helix X pipe? Never heard of the corsa extreme x pipe

http://marylandspeed.com/corsa-30-do...61-p-5622.html

There is a link for reference.
Yes, that is what I am talking about.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:21 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I do not think that the X pipe will cause a power/torque loss either. I remember that back in the 03/04 Cobra days, larger diameter cat-backs and X pipes would increase power throughout the power band and improve ET's as well. The stock ones were REALLY restrictive though. Perhaps the X pipe in the Z06 is not that restrictive? One would think that the smoother mandrel bent pipes and elimination of the two rear resonators would improve HP/TQ though.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:10 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I think the same source thinks that headers offer no power on the LT4 either. The story about the 3 pipe losing to the stock 2 3/4 is wrong too! The stock intake is a restrictive piece of crap.
So you may not get much gain with any of the mods like you should until you scrap the stock intake.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:22 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

When I do start modding this was one of the first mods I was considering.... Interested in the findings
Old 09-27-2016, 08:57 AM
Adam Silver05
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Would this require a tune?
If no tune, will it trip the check engine light or log any faults?
Will the car have a gassy smell at the back that is the norm when all cats are deleted from any car?
How hard is the install?
Will it work with the stock mufflers and the different exhaust modes?
Is there any downside?
Old 09-27-2016, 11:08 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Adam Silver05
Would this require a tune?
If no tune, will it trip the check engine light or log any faults?
Will the car have a gassy smell at the back that is the norm when all cats are deleted from any car?
How hard is the install?
Will it work with the stock mufflers and the different exhaust modes?
Is there any downside?
No codes it only deletes the rear cats that are behind the 02 sensors so no smell, no codes, no downside whatsoever except at least one person (not me) right now believes b/c its a 3 inch pipe and not a 2.75 inch x pipe like the stock one or Borlas, that it loses some torque on the low end of the rpm band that affects the acceleration of the car. Works with stock exhaust and 0 gas smells since your 2 main cats are still in place and unaffected by this. Took my Chevy dealer about 1/2 hour to install. I certainly recommend it as it makes the car sounds considerably more aggressive and exotic sounding. This mod is done strictly for better exhaust sound and louder and not for performance.

Youtube search should allow you to find a couple of videos with a C7 Z with just this mod (that sold me) b/c the car sounds bad azz especially when hot rodding it.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 09-27-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:58 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Just go Borla. It sounds so good and is so cheap and makes no seat of the pants difference.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:27 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

I find it hard to believe a smoother bent x-pipe with out rear cats does not offer a performance gain. The exhaust has to flow better with less restriction. I have done the Borla unit, car definitely pulls harder and stronger to redline. The sound is the extra bonus.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:18 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default Headers! Believe it or not.

Check out the C6 forum.

They make 1 3/4", 1 7/8" and even 2" primary tube headers for the LS3. You will even have the manufactures tell you that the 1 3/4" headers make more torque down low in their own brand and about/or the same hp as the 1 7/8" headers on the top end. So the 1 3/4" car all things being even except the diameter of the primary tubes usually wins the race.

I went from a 12:31 @115.75mph with my "stock" present to this day Grand Sport 1/4 mile record holder to 11.32 @125mph with just a set of 1 3/4" headers, a Home Made CAI from a stock intake and a second hand DiabloSport "canned" tune on sticky tires. With these mods the car was now faster than any standard/lighter bodied LS3 with the same type of mods. I have nothing against headers, turbos, superchargers, etc.; just do your homework and purchase wisely.

Bottom Line: As has been said, bigger is not always better. You match the parts for the performance level (HP) you are shooting for.

Examples: A larger turbo will produce more psi (HP) than a smaller one, once it gets spooled up and piston ring gaps can gain or lose 20/30+ HP depending on what they are set at.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 09-28-2016 at 12:42 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Can anyone confirm by trap speed or dyno that low end torque lost with Corsa X-Pipe?

Quick Reply: Can anyone confirm by trap speed or dyno that low end torque lost with Corsa X-Pipe?