C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Solved! Dull down the paint in door jambs

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 10:47 PM
Jddaddy1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Solved! Dull down the paint in door jambs

I had my 63 SWC judged in March of this year, lost the full deduction for paint because it is BC/CC and really great. They told me I could get half of it back if I dulled down the door jambs.

I have read a lot about the different suggestions and processes here on the Forum, and it was finally time to take a shot at it.

Here is what I did, and it worked perfectly, and super easy:
  • I tried it on my wife's '94 Honda Civic DX! A classic in its own right, she is the original owner. The car paint job is a mess on the outside, but the door jambs were in perfect condition for this test
  • Tried this procedure in both cool shade, and direct warm sun. The shade trail is definitely the way to go, much better results.
  • I cleaned and dried the original paint in the door jamb. Then masked off a trial section. I did not scuff it with 3000 or anything like that. Turns out did not need to anyway.
  • Purchased from the Hobby Lobby on line, I used a can of Tree House Studio Clear Acrylic Matte Coating.
  • First I did a complete light coat, let it dry, which only took a few minutes.
  • Then I did a more substantial coat, shot from closer to the work, being careful not to use too much to avoid running.
  • Let it dry, took the tape away, and Bam! Looks and feels great
  • Next Monday, I will be masking off all areas on my SWC that I have to shoot, and going for it. I may experiment again if I should take the tape away BEFORE it dries rather than after.
hope this helps. jd

Attached Images    
Old 09-26-2016, 11:20 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Hope you don't 'over-dull' the paint job on your SWC...

Your wifes honda now has a dull spot...
Old 09-26-2016, 11:29 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Make sure the paint is compatible and doesn't cause bubbling or blisters before you start shooting it on your Corvette.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:06 AM
OneOfThem
3-speed
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would highly recommend using Dulling Spray, made by Krylon. You'll achieve the same results and it'll wipe off with a wet towel after your judging.
Dulling Spray has been used in the film industry for decades to put a temporary, matte finish on reflective or glaring objects that 'pop' too much for the cinematographer... especially on items that are rented or part of an expensive filming location... all without permanent damage. It's a great tool to have in the garage.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck Gongloff (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 12:22 AM
Jddaddy1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I will test that out as well. Thanks for jumping in on this... Jd
Old 09-27-2016, 06:44 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by OneOfThem
I would highly recommend using Dulling Spray, made by Krylon. You'll achieve the same results and it'll wipe off with a wet towel after your judging.
Dulling Spray has been used in the film industry for decades to put a temporary, matte finish on reflective or glaring objects that 'pop' too much for the cinematographer... especially on items that are rented or part of an expensive filming location... all without permanent damage. It's a great tool to have in the garage.
Interesting. I was unaware of this product.

Thank you.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:15 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by OneOfThem
I've used it....
Its as much trouble as the other products as far as masking off areas and being judicious in spraying for the right effect. It will work. Truth be told I permanently dulled my jambs, hood edge and hood surround with another product and the effect was a tad better.

The Dulling Spray is akin to the old hair spray trick. Don't mention 'faking it' on the NCRS forum, you'll be accused of cheating or fraud - like I was.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-27-2016 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:32 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,948 Posts

The Dulling Spray looks like an interesting product but since it semi-dries, wouldn't it be easily detectable by simply dragging a finger across it? Or does it dry fairly firm and take a wet towel or cloth to soften it to wipe off?
Old 09-27-2016, 07:40 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
The Dulling Spray looks like an interesting product but since it semi-dries, wouldn't it be easily detectable by simply dragging a finger across it? Or does it dry fairly firm and take a wet towel or cloth to soften it to wipe off?
I did my test spray out on a piece of scrap metal and cleaned it off with a wet cloth so I can't say about your question with complete certainty.

Since its purpose is to dull down reflective surfaces for photography of items, sometimes VERY expensive items I have to believe it removes fairly easily....and the old "scratching it off with a fingernail" trick would reveal the deception. I may just shoot some on something in the garage with a high sheen and check it out again...
Old 09-27-2016, 08:02 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

Truth be told I permanently dulled my jambs, hood edge and hood surround with another product and the effect was a tad better.
And that other product was.................................... ?

Old 09-27-2016, 08:09 AM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 572 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

The way I understand the ncrs judging is that the paint should "appear" as the way it came off the assembly line. No one should be scratching your paint.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:23 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
And that other product was.................................... ?

A Top Secret Mike Coletta product.

I'll have to dig around in the garage and see if I have the spray can still around this morning... I DO know that, if applied lightly, it makes the jambs look damn near exactly like unbuffed lacquer. Those areas blew by regional judging - no questions asked.

I'll try to find the stuff Chuck...
Old 09-27-2016, 08:29 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I'll have to dig around in the garage and see if I have the spray can still around this morning... I DO know that, if applied lightly, it makes the jambs look damn near exactly like unbuffed lacquer. Those areas blew by regional judging - no questions asked.

Just post the name of the product here on CF, Frank.

I'll read it and I promise I won't reveal the secret product to anyone else.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:34 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Then why did you post - "Paint was a 100% deduct before I walked through it again with the team leader and showed them where I had dulled down the door jambs, hood ledge, etc. - then 50% deduct."

You also posted that you used Rustoleum Satin Clear Enamel.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:36 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,008 Likes on 573 Posts

I've used it....
Its as much trouble as the other products as far as masking off areas and being judicious in spraying for the right effect. It will work. Truth be told I permanently dulled my jambs, hood edge and hood surround with another product and the effect was a tad better.

The Dulling Spray is akin to the old hair spray trick. Don't mention 'faking it' on the NCRS forum, you'll be accused of cheating or fraud - like I was.
Honestly if the judging of door jambs is that important why wouldnt someone just shoot the car with laquer instead of BC/CC to begin with?
BTW way, cheating, fraud, really?? I love restored cars but arent all restorations creating an illusion of newness to begin with? Hope you told them where to stick their prizes.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:39 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by 1snake
Then why did you post - "Paint was a 100% deduct before I walked through it again with the team leader and showed them where I had dulled down the door jambs, hood ledge, etc. - then 50% deduct."

You also posted that you used Rustoleum Satin Clear Enamel.
It was still a 50% deduct as I didn't get the underhood ledge transition from body color to black correct (I don't have a pic) up by the hood hinges....and the overall paint was still considered too shiny.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:43 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

It was still a 50% deduct as I didn't get the underhood ledge transition from body color to black correct (I don't have a pic) up by the hood hinges....and the overall paint was still considered too shiny.
I don't consider an initial 100% deduction "blew by regional judging - no questions asked".
Looks like you'll get to do it all over again anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To Solved! Dull down the paint in door jambs

Old 09-27-2016, 08:45 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by phil2302
Honestly if the judging of door jambs is that important why wouldnt someone just shoot the car with laquer instead of BC/CC to begin with?
BTW way, cheating, fraud, really?? I love restored cars but arent all restorations creating an illusion of newness to begin with? Hope you told them where to stick their prizes.
Indeed, that is the case IMO, but you have the 'old guard' that is intransigent. Not everybody is that way and many members helped me out with advice, etc. for judging...
Old 09-27-2016, 08:47 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by 1snake
I don't consider an initial 100% deduction "blew by regional judging - no questions asked".
Looks like you'll get to do it all over again anyway.
The "dulled down" part did... I could have been more specific...

I'll have to get "psyched up" to campaign the car again...prob do a chapter meet if I DO decide to go at it again. Citrus County or Howie-in-the-Hills, Florida chapter...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-27-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:28 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by phil2302

Tough to buy lacquer anywhere in the US anymore. If you can find it, professional shops are prohibited from using it. (EPA, OSHA, etc.) That being said, you can spray it yourself.

In addition, and more importantly IMHO, "modern" lacquer lacks many chemicals present in "old" lacquer, making it less durable. Lead content comes to mind.

Chuck

Quick Reply: [C2] Solved! Dull down the paint in door jambs