C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

My own experience on the cooling situation

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 09:26 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts
Default My own experience on the cooling situation

I share this story since I found it very easy to get concerned over a problem that I both witnessed firsthand and read about extensively prior to directly testing and experiencing myself. As a bit of background, I'm an intermediate HPDE experience driver who has done about 17 'track days'. So I'm far from an expert but not a newbie either. Also, I don't intend to dismiss the trouble that other Z06 owners experience as their situation and driving skill may be vastly different (much faster drivers or A8 cars).

I took delivery of my 2016 Z06 M7 in June and was quite concerned about the cooling situation. It was the car I wanted and lusted after, so I dove in regardless. I had read every thread on the forum and attended a May track day at Sebring where 4 of 5 Z06s attending overheated. Needless to say, I was wrapping my mind around how I'd deal with the problem. Go with aftermarket solutions and void my warranty? Do two hot laps and a cool down every third? Drive 'easy' and still enjoy myself? I decided only time would tell.

A couple months after taking delivery of my M7, I chose to preemptively install the GM secondary radiator. It was an easy enough install and I figured it couldn't hurt. It really did drop coolant temps by about 15F and this was readily apparent even when street driving. Recovery after a temp rise was also significantly improved.

Come mid-September, I decided it was time for a road course experience and signed up for a PCA event at Sebring. It was a blistering, sunny 91F Florida day. My friend with an A8 also attended. He drove in automatic mode and his car overheated in 3 laps just as it did in May.

I was very pleasantly surprised that my M7 did extraordinarily well. I fully realize I'm far from a pro driver and many of you may be at much higher driver skill levels. I've posted a video to share how I drove. I'm an intermediate HPDE driver who was 'taking it easy' in terms of redline pulls on straights and did some coasting into braking zones since this was my first Sebring experience. My max water temp was 219F and oil was 261F. Even more satisfying was a cool down lap brought those temps to 201 and 208, respectively. As we enter the cooler season, my safety margin for temps will only improve.

While I may have more trouble with temps as my skill and confidence grow, it's clear that the M7 with secondary radiator will keep me very happy for what I intend to do. So before anyone considering a Z06 simply writes it off due to presumed cooling problems, do yourself a favor and put your driving intentions, skill and experience into perspective. It seems like cooling will not be a problem for me for some time.

As for my friend, at the end of the HPDE he proclaimed that his A8 is for sale and he's buying an M7.

Last edited by spearfish25; 09-27-2016 at 11:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JMGaston (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 09:38 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Very good perspective. Thanks for sharing.

I have a new C7Z A8 car and I have NOT seen the temp above 215 during my spirited street cruises (have to say cruise so the popo don't come knockin). I am logging all of my runs with HP Tuners (on every cruise) to verify any known issues.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:00 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
I share this story since I found it very easy to get concerned over a problem that I both witnessed firsthand and read about extensively prior to directly testing and experiencing myself. As a bit of background, I'm an intermediate HPDE experience driver who has done about 17 'track days'. So I'm far from an expert but not a newbie either. Also, I don't intend to dismiss the trouble that other Z06 owners experience as their situation and driving skill may be vastly different (much faster drivers or A8 cars).

I took delivery of my 2016 Z06 M7 in June and was quite concerned about the cooling situation. It was the car I wanted and lusted after, so I dove in regardless. I had read every thread on the forum and attended a May track day at Sebring where 4 of 5 Z06s attending overheated. Needless to say, I was wrapping my mind around how I'd deal with the problem. Go with aftermarket solutions and void my warranty? Do two hot laps and a cool down every third? Drive 'easy' and still enjoy myself? I decided only time would tell.

A couple months after taking delivery of my M7, I chose to preemptively install the GM secondary radiator. It was an easy enough install and I figured it couldn't hurt. It really did drop coolant temps by about 15F and this was readily apparent even when street driving. Recovery after a temp rise was also significantly improved.

Come mid-September, I decided it was time for a road course experience and signed up for a PCA event at Sebring. It was a blistering, sunny 91F Florida day. My friend with an A8 also attended. He drove in automatic mode and his car overheated in 3 laps just as it did in May.

I was very pleasantly surprised that my M7 did extraordinarily well. I fully realize I'm far from a pro driver and many of you may be at much higher driver skill levels. I've posted a video to share how I drove. I'm an intermediate HPDE driver who was 'taking it easy' in terms of redline pulls on straights and did some coasting into braking zones since this was my first Sebring experience. My max water temp was 219F and oil was 261F. Even more satisfying was a cool down lap brought those temps to 201 and 208, respectively. As we enter the cooler season, my safety margin for temps will only improve.

While I may have more trouble with temps as my skill and confidence grow, it's clear that the M7 with secondary radiator will keep me very happy for what I intend to do. So before anyone considering a Z06 simply writes it off due to presumed cooling problems, do yourself a favor and put your driving intentions, skill and experience into perspective. It seems like cooling will not be a problem for me for some time.

That has been my experience as well. With the GMPP Secondary Radiator my oil and coolant temps have been far from overheating. I have 13 track days on the car this year and have gone through 2 sets of front brake pads, one set of front carbon rotors and one set of rear brake pads. My biggest concern is the cost of my consumables.

The 17 M7s will get the radiator as standard equipment.

Bill
Old 09-27-2016, 11:10 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedforhire
Very good perspective. Thanks for sharing.

I have a new C7Z A8 car and I have NOT seen the temp above 215 during my spirited street cruises (have to say cruise so the popo don't come knockin). I am logging all of my runs with HP Tuners (on every cruise) to verify any known issues.

I doubt you will ever get close to overheating while driving on the street or highway unless something happens to your cooling system. Spirited drive on the street doesn't come close to the duty cycle you put on a car on the track. Run a few spirited runs with your PDR recording the action and then look at your percent of throttle opening data and compare that to ones posted by various track dogs on this forum.

Bill
Old 09-27-2016, 02:01 PM
rsilver
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25

As for my friend, at the end of the HPDE he proclaimed that his A8 is for sale and he's buying an M7.
This seems like the way to go if you want to track your Z. I was thinking the same for my A8 car, just trade/sell and buy an M7. Problem I see is it will cost about 30k plus or minus. Thats a tough hit to take. But it will take about 10K to do LG motor sports fix and then no factory warranty most likely. that includes painting labor etc and there are variations that might save a little. Still makes it 20K difference. Its tempting.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:23 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilver
This seems like the way to go if you want to track your Z. I was thinking the same for my A8 car, just trade/sell and buy an M7. Problem I see is it will cost about 30k plus or minus. Thats a tough hit to take. But it will take about 10K to do LG motor sports fix and then no factory warranty most likely. that includes painting labor etc and there are variations that might save a little. Still makes it 20K difference. Its tempting.
He drives his car daily and put 26k miles on it in the first year. So he's going to move cars soon regardless. It helps that he's very well off financially too. After his very first HPDE he was so hooked that he's investigating trailers, tow rigs, etc. A car swap is certainly not the best option for everyone. I wouldn't be able to swing it.

Last edited by spearfish25; 09-27-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:35 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default ! ;)

So NOT steamed is it?

Get notified of new replies

To My own experience on the cooling situation

Quick Reply: My own experience on the cooling situation