C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

New 65 dash pad hits windshield trim

Old 09-27-2016, 10:24 AM
watson
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 175 Posts

Default New 65 dash pad hits windshield trim

I am trying to wrap up the interior on my 65 coupe project and I have run into a snag. The new dash pad on the passenger side seems to be a bit to far forward and I can't get the lower windshield trim strip to seat all of the way down. The drivers side is fine and the dash pads look to be even everywhere else. The parts came from Al Knoch. Has anyone else had a similar problem and is there a solution short of pulling the entire dash assembly again? I really don't want to do that so I was thinking of a small trim on the molding piece. Then I discovered that they don't make that part and I don't want to screw up a good part.

Thanks,

Doc
Old 09-27-2016, 11:05 AM
watson
Burning Brakes

Now that I have had a chance to look a little deeper, the dash pad is not the problem. I measured both sides and they are the same. It looks like the clip that is attached to the windshield frame is in the way. It also looks like the new windshield rubber could be the problem in that it is pushing on the clip. Is there a difference in those rubbers in terms of how much sticks out inside the car?

Thanks,

Doc
Old 09-27-2016, 12:00 PM
rccarson
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Windshield moulding

Doc, The lower windshield moulding is attached to retaining clips that are secured to the birdcage with clips that slide into slots in birdcage under the rubber gasket for windshield glass. You may have broken one or both clips in a retainer (easy to do if you used original retainers). Are you sure that the moulding attaching screw is tightening the moulding when you turn screw? You may have to remove moulding to look at retainer.
RC

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...050b&ukey=4394
Old 09-27-2016, 02:05 PM
jbmcrae
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Those molding clips

Originally Posted by rccarson
Doc, The lower windshield moulding is attached to retaining clips that are secured to the birdcage with clips that slide into slots in birdcage under the rubber gasket for windshield glass. You may have broken one or both clips in a retainer (easy to do if you used original retainers). Are you sure that the moulding attaching screw is tightening the moulding when you turn screw? You may have to remove moulding to look at retainer.
RC

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...050b&ukey=4394
I had a similar problem with my 63. The car (a bubba bucket) came with only 2 of the 4 clips and I tried to put them on with windshield and dash already back in the car. One wouldn't go in so I just marked and drilled all 4 holes and used longer screws, screwed into the fiberglass. No problem. I did have the two outer trim brackets and used them.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:59 PM
watson
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone, I was able to get it to fit by moving the clip and gently nudging the rubber seal. This car seems to put up a fight at every opportunity. The good news is that the end is in sight.

Thanks,
Doc

Get notified of new replies

To New 65 dash pad hits windshield trim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 65 dash pad hits windshield trim