C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

95 Cruise Control Woes

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 01:50 PM
awches
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts
Default 95 Cruise Control Woes

Attempting to learn and fix the controller. So far, everything under the hood checks out in ohmage and vacuum but not voltage to the vacuum pot connections. Good reason was found with a blown fuse in the passenger side box, Changed it out. Blew again. Guess the next step is follow the line from the fuse to the module under the dash.
In other words, back to the Factory manuals I have for this car. Sigh!
Old 09-27-2016, 02:23 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Sounds like you have a project on your hands.

How long has the cruise not worked? The reason I ask is that most electrical issues start from related work i.e. an aftermarket radio was installed or steering column was worked on.

If was broke when you bought it then you get the great task of figuring out what the previous owner messed with.

Gotta love old cars. They are the gift that just keeps giving.

Good luck!
Old 09-27-2016, 07:37 PM
awches
Pro

Originally Posted by kg4fku
Sounds like you have a project on your hands.

How long has the cruise not worked? The reason I ask is that most electrical issues start from related work i.e. an aftermarket radio was installed or steering column was worked on.

If was broke when you bought it then you get the great task of figuring out what the previous owner messed with.

Good luck!
It didn't work when the po bought it 11 years ago. So, I'm going from scratch on trouble shooting. But, love these projects.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:30 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by kg4fku
...ain't that the truth!
Old 09-28-2016, 05:57 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by awches
Attempting to learn and fix the controller. So far, everything under the hood checks out in ohmage and vacuum but not voltage to the vacuum pot connections. Good reason was found with a blown fuse in the passenger side box, Changed it out. Blew again. Guess the next step is follow the line from the fuse to the module under the dash.
In other words, back to the Factory manuals I have for this car. Sigh!
It's good that you have the proper FSM. Do you know if your ASR/ABS etc function correctly? I believe that all of the later C4's with ABS/ASR require proper function before cruise works. The FSM generally has very straight forward diagnostics. It seems maybe you avoided the diagnostic sequence or maybe just didn't mention. It would seem that you start at the SWITCH, CUT-OFF RELAY and NOT the module with fuse blowing issues. Start maybe at the FUSE BOX schematic.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:59 AM
awches
Pro

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
It's good that you have the proper FSM. Do you know if your ASR/ABS etc function correctly? I believe that all of the later C4's with ABS/ASR require proper function before cruise works. The FSM generally has very straight forward diagnostics. It seems maybe you avoided the diagnostic sequence or maybe just didn't mention. It would seem that you start at the SWITCH, CUT-OFF RELAY and NOT the module with fuse blowing issues. Start maybe at the FUSE BOX schematic.
gonna study up on the schematic and follow step by step. Be a few days yet. Old retired mechanics just work when they feel up to it. It's due inspection in a month so probably won't dig too deep into it till after that. Did get all working that needs to be for inspection.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:48 PM
awches
Pro

Spent about 15 mins of study on the Cruise Control System. Since I have a problem in the turn sig switch mechanism That going to require pulling the steering wheel to fix or replace. I'll stop on the Cruise blow fuse problem till then.
Reason for this is when I replaced the bad fuse the 1st time, it lasted for testing session in which I drove the car and attempted to get it working without blowing. As I checked it again when I got home and it was good.
Yesterday, when riding about, I decided to attempt to engage it again and got a slight burnt smell running down the road. It clear our smell wise pretty fast with just one window down. When getting home, that's when I found the replacement had blown.
So , with the fuse output going to the two places, one of them being the switch at the turn sig assembly, Which is loose and don't work proper anyhow, I'll fix that in the coming month ( after inspection is past for the year ) then proceed with the rest. Problem can be in the loose mess in there.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:17 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by awches
Spent about 15 mins of study on the Cruise Control System. Since I have a problem in the turn sig switch mechanism That going to require pulling the steering wheel to fix or replace. I'll stop on the Cruise blow fuse problem till then.
Reason for this is when I replaced the bad fuse the 1st time, it lasted for testing session in which I drove the car and attempted to get it working without blowing. As I checked it again when I got home and it was good.
Yesterday, when riding about, I decided to attempt to engage it again and got a slight burnt smell running down the road. It clear our smell wise pretty fast with just one window down. When getting home, that's when I found the replacement had blown.
So , with the fuse output going to the two places, one of them being the switch at the turn sig assembly, Which is loose and don't work proper anyhow, I'll fix that in the coming month ( after inspection is past for the year ) then proceed with the rest. Problem can be in the loose mess in there.
Good call! let us know what you find..
Old 09-29-2016, 12:04 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Had an intermittent cruise control problem. I replaced the turn signal stalk, vacuum check valve (under the right/passenger side engine cover), vacuum actuator, checked the brake pedal clearance and still had the problem. My son the electrical genius was able to track it down to the cruise control relay located way up under the drivers side of the dash.

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 09-29-2016 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:34 AM
awches
Pro

Learned a long time ago about chasing electrical problems. Can take 10 mins, Can take 10 hrs. Talked to the PO of 11 yrs last night. Sig light assem was like that when he bought the car. No cruise control either. He never even check the fuse. As long as it worked enuff for him to attract women, he was good. LOL. Course, he never knew it had a spare tire either so go figure.

Get notified of new replies

To 95 Cruise Control Woes

Quick Reply: 95 Cruise Control Woes