C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Cross X-Pipe & Magnaflow Axle Back - Day 2 Review...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 11:27 PM
Pooner
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cross X-Pipe & Magnaflow Axle Back - Day 2 Review...

Still breaking in the car, but managed to get a Corsa Xpipe and Magnaflow competition axle back installed while the car was in the shop for a few other things.

Sound is always such a subjective topic, but hot dang this thing is loud.

Great roar on cold startup. My youngest (2 yr old) was playing outside with the nanny today when I was about to leave to work... and I actually had them move far far away from the garage so I wouldn't startle or upset my boy...

Driving lightly under 2K RPM you can definitely tell its loud, but its still manageable on the ears. Driving under light to medium load above 2K RPM and the cabin is entirely filled with the exhaust note; there's no escaping it. Its vivid, bright and easily muscles itself over the radio that's turned up to 60%. Again, I haven't even broken in the vehicle so I have yet to have even surpass 3500RPM OR apply heavy load...

I am not sure if its my age kicking in or if this combo is just THAT loud, but its scarily treading on the border of 'too loud in the cabin' for me. I've had aftermarket exhausts on almost all my cars and motorcycles so having my eardrums finally start to quiver is a new feeling for me. I've had a very good tolerance for loud vehicles in the past.... but my physical audible tolerance has never been tested until now.

Regardless, I am very smitten with this exhaust setup. No way I am going back to stock unless the bylaw enforcers make me... or if the doctor proves that this is making me deaf.

BTW - 'stealth mode' is no longer stealth. Stealth = nice aftermarket exhaust. Track mode under some load > 2K RPM = Holy #@#!.

I also played a tiny bit with the auto rev matching... matched downshifts create a 'whhuuupp Buuuup' sound loud enough to cause a heart attack for those standing on the sidewalk. I literally laughed at how ridiculously loud and intense the downshifts were...

I know its a tease, but my iPhone videos weren't doing any justice at all... will try to get some good videos when time and technology are in line.

And again... its all subjective...
The following users liked this post:
Z06NJ (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 10:53 AM
Z06M3
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

A tease indeed. Waiting on those sound clips. Where are you located?
Old 09-28-2016, 11:17 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I have the same set up on my car and I agree, it does sound pretty good! I have noticed that it does drone a bit in 7th gear if you put the car under load; something easily fixed by dropping a gear, or two.

I think the Magnaflow tips looks so much better than the OEM tips as well! They even stayed clean for me much longer than the stock exhaust. Only issue I have at this point is that after racing the car the tips have discolored a bit from the heat and are no longer as super polished as they began.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:05 PM
Bad Dad
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

I have the same, A8 LOVE IT

Last edited by Bad Dad; 09-28-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:25 PM
Z06M3
Instructor

With this set up on an A8, do you ever get any drone? In stealth mode can you have a normal conversation?
Old 09-29-2016, 01:38 PM
Firemedic301
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 55 Posts

I have had loud cars in the past and thou I do have some spirited driving moments with my Z, I TRUELY enjoy the fact that even in Sport and Track modes I can hear my stereo and have a conversation without yelling or having to strain to hear. Love a throaty exhaust, but love to cruise with good tunes. Besides it is my everyday driver so stock at this point is my bad, but with that said I would love to hear yours singing!!!!! I love hearing Bald Eagles YELLING "AMERICAAAAAA" out of Z's!!!!!
Old 09-29-2016, 07:37 PM
0Magna_Flow
Former Vendor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Glad that you like it so far! We're tuned in to hear the sound clip.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:31 PM
Z06M3
Instructor

I'm so itching to get the Magnaflows but want to hear the sound clip first. Anyone? I already have the Corsa X pipe, and while it sounds better then stock, at times I need to hear even more. Other times I want to be able to cruise with more constraint. Any more feedback on this system when in Stealth mode?
Old 10-01-2016, 01:08 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
I have the same set up on my car and I agree, it does sound pretty good! I have noticed that it does drone a bit in 7th gear if you put the car under load; something easily fixed by dropping a gear, or two.

I think the Magnaflow tips looks so much better than the OEM tips as well! They even stayed clean for me much longer than the stock exhaust. Only issue I have at this point is that after racing the car the tips have discolored a bit from the heat and are no longer as super polished as they began.
For M7, Is the drone issue noticeable any time you are at cruising speed (lower rpm regardless of gear)?
Old 10-01-2016, 01:48 PM
Pooner
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't hear drone at low RPM.... but the exhaust note feels like a new passenger that will forever be in the vehicle. I took some iPhone videos but audio quality was a joke. I'll try with my trusty handheld video camera next week.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:12 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 5thGear
For M7, Is the drone issue noticeable any time you are at cruising speed (lower rpm regardless of gear)?
It only drones in 7th gear, at low rpm and under load. So cruising at 65-70 mph in 7th and you give it a good bit of throttle input. If you drop a gear it goes away. That is the only time I've noticed drone, but it is present with the Corsa X pipe in this one situation.

I may try to get a go pro and my external mic for some audio tomorrow, if I get a chance.

Last edited by fleming23; 10-01-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:34 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
It only drones in 7th gear, at low rpm and under load. So cruising at 65-70 mph in 7th and you give it a good bit of throttle input. If you drop a gear it goes away. That is the only time I've noticed drone, but it is present with the Corsa X pipe in this one situation.

I may try to get a go pro and my external mic for some audio tomorrow, if I get a chance.
Thanks for the info and yes if you can share a sound clip that would be awesome.
I also have Corsa xpipe

Get notified of new replies

To Cross X-Pipe & Magnaflow Axle Back - Day 2 Review...

Quick Reply: Cross X-Pipe & Magnaflow Axle Back - Day 2 Review...