C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Battery disconnect for winter storage and power pull down function

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 12:37 AM
GMHZ06
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Battery disconnect for winter storage and power pull down function

I plan to winter store my 2017 Z06 when it arrives but unfortunately I cannot plug in the battery tender as the condo parking I use has no power outlet close. My question is when you disconnect the battery how do you close the rear hatch as the power pull down/close feature will not function. I know there is the key to open the hatch without power but how do you close it. I don't want to force it and want it to cycle correctly when reconnecting back the battery. Advise greatly appreciated as I will do this every year I keep the vehicle which for me will be many, many years. I expect this is an issue for all 2016MY who store in the winter and cannot use the battery tender as the rear pull down feature became standard. Looking for a simple solution that can work every time.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:01 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

I have never used one but they have solar powered battery chargers.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:09 AM
Joy c7
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 238 Posts

Very good question. All ears.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:24 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by GMHZ06
I plan to winter store my 2017 Z06 when it arrives but unfortunately I cannot plug in the battery tender as the condo parking I use has no power outlet close. My question is when you disconnect the battery how do you close the rear hatch as the power pull down/close feature will not function. I know there is the key to open the hatch without power but how do you close it. I don't want to force it and want it to cycle correctly when reconnecting back the battery. Advise greatly appreciated as I will do this every year I keep the vehicle which for me will be many, many years. I expect this is an issue for all 2016MY who store in the winter and cannot use the battery tender as the rear pull down feature became standard. Looking for a simple solution that can work every time.
There is a thread on hooking up the charger through the grill under the hood.
You don't need to pull the battery. Just find the thread and use a solar charger.
Thinking it was EBoggs that has the answer this a older thread. You could figure this out pretty easy going under the hood.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 09-28-2016 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:49 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

The power pull down for the rear hatch isn't necessary and it will close easily with one of the doors still open, the power pull down is a convenience feature added later and the early C7 production doesn't have it. If I shut my hatch while the passenger is still exiting it drops closed without activating the power pull down.

Is your condo parking enclosed where it won't get extremely cold? If not you should pull the battery because as it self-discharges over winter the freezing point of the electrolyte increases and a very cold spell could cause the battery to split if it freezes leading to leakage when it thaws. Even a disconnected battery will lose its charge over time.

You will have to re-index the windows after re-connecting the battery but there are no real issues with storing it with no power.

Last edited by NSC5; 09-28-2016 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:52 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I did this, and nobody GAF

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-your-c7.html
Old 09-28-2016, 12:10 PM
scottty33
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default solar

I have two of my cars on solar powered battery chargers. I use one harbor freight unit and one northern tool unit. they both work equality good. You will need one solar panel 20 watt, one solar panel controller and one extension wire kit with several types of connectors. I use the charging port in the back of the corvette. Both of these units will mind the batteries without worry. Either in sun or a cloudy day, they will charge. At night time they automatically shut off and no back feed
Old 09-29-2016, 12:34 PM
GMHZ06
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
The power pull down for the rear hatch isn't necessary and it will close easily with one of the doors still open, the power pull down is a convenience feature added later and the early C7 production doesn't have it. If I shut my hatch while the passenger is still exiting it drops closed without activating the power pull down.

Is your condo parking enclosed where it won't get extremely cold? If not you should pull the battery because as it self-discharges over winter the freezing point of the electrolyte increases and a very cold spell could cause the battery to split if it freezes leading to leakage when it thaws. Even a disconnected battery will lose its charge over time.

You will have to re-index the windows after re-connecting the battery but there are no real issues with storing it with no power.
The solar idea wont work for me as I don't want to leave it out of the car with the car cover installed. Do you feel you can just push down on the hatch after the power is disconnected? If the last step after the battery disconnect is to close the hatch there is no window index issue. Then when opening the hatch with the key before battery power is available what will happen? The feature will be in the down close position. As thsi will happen year over year I do need a best case scenario. Thanks
Old 09-29-2016, 02:01 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by GMHZ06
The solar idea wont work for me as I don't want to leave it out of the car with the car cover installed. Do you feel you can just push down on the hatch after the power is disconnected? If the last step after the battery disconnect is to close the hatch there is no window index issue. Then when opening the hatch with the key before battery power is available what will happen? The feature will be in the down close position. As thsi will happen year over year I do need a best case scenario. Thanks
With the windows closed I would give it a good push from about the half way open position to avoid having to use a lot of force to push it closed which would be needed if you didn't have the help of inertia. I do recall someone early on managed to crack the hatch material by pushing too hard to close it. Do some google research in the regular C7 (non Z06) part of the forum and you will find some tips and techniques used to close the hatch on those cars with the largely non-functional venting system that was used prior to power pull down.

With the windows down I find the hatch closes just by dropping it from a couple of inches from closed and at that point the power pull down feature isn't activated so I don't think you are going to run into any issues with its position when opening with the key and closing it manually.

Last edited by NSC5; 09-29-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery disconnect for winter storage and power pull down function

Quick Reply: Battery disconnect for winter storage and power pull down function