C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Mounting new tires on ZO6 rims....what a hassle!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 01:45 PM
bbdmac
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Mounting new tires on ZO6 rims....what a hassle!

So I hit a pothole last week and one of my painted silver rims was dented and the tire is now losing pressure. I decided it was the right time to switch to gloss black rims so I ordered a set from a supporting vendor on this site. I also ordered two new rear 20" tires from Tire Rack so that both rear tires would have the same tread. I have just under 10K miles on the existing tires.

First place I took the car to was an auto repair place that's in town that has the latest Hunter touchless machine and experience with Corvettes. The owner in fact has a 2016 Stingray. They assured me they could get them done. Four hours later they called to tell me to pick up the car because they can't get the new tires to seat on the rims.

I said OK, as I was sort of expecting this. I then called a tire company that told me they could definitely do it because they'd done it in the past with no issues. This was on a Saturday. They told me they'd have them done by noon when they were closing. About 10AM they called to tell me they underestimated the job and asked if they could keep the car until the end of day on Monday. OK, as long as you store the car indoors which they agreed to.

Monday about 11AM they called to tell me they could do it, but that it might take them all day and they'd have to charge me by the hour. I had visions of an $800 dollar bill for this so I said no. I already had an appointment made with my local Chevy dealer for the next day so I said I'd get the car and take care of it elsewhere.

I brought the car and the new rims and tires to my chevy dealer and they told me they had just received a brand new Snapon totally touchless machine that was guaranteed to work on Corvette and Z06 rims. So you know where this is going......I dropped the car Monday evening and they still have it as of Wednesday afternoon. They need it one more day in order to use some special grease that Snapon told them they'd need to use to get these tires mounted.

No Discount Tire Stores near me so that's not an option. So let's see where this story goes tomorrow!

The following users liked this post:
BOBSZ06 (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 01:59 PM
Checkmate1
Burning Brakes

Received 212 Likes on 128 Posts

This issue is well documented on the forums. Problem is that these low profile tires are also Run Flats. There are a number of guys who've changed the tires to Conti DW tires as they are non-run flats that are easier to sit on these tires.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:05 PM
bbdmac
Instructor

Yup, and I read all of those posts before making the decision to go this route. I definitely went into this with my eyes open, but it still amazes me that a car that's been released for 3 years still has this problem. I'm just putting this out there for anyone else that's considering it. Find someone that definitely can do the work before pulling the trigger.

This was more of a venting post for me than anything else.....
Z06NJ (09-29-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 02:16 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 718 Posts

My 2011 ZR1 is affected by this as well. Probably going to buy Continental DW non run flats in the future.

Last edited by GOLD72; 09-28-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:18 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Reading all the tire mounting problem posts makes me wonder what process and machine GM's supplier uses?
Old 09-28-2016, 03:35 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

OP, I see you are from Leominster, MA-------do you know if anyone has tried MacMulkin in NH (I haven't needed to have these tires changed yet, but I always thought they had the best vette service area around---and great to work with as well), or Masse in RI (heard good things about them too, but no actual experience myself).

I haven't seen any posts from anyone in our 'general' area about who can change our tires, and am looking for leads as I 'heard' on this Forum that an all season Michelon tire may be coming later this year for our Z06's and if so, I definitely will want to switch.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:54 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Little town of 30k people and a tire shop that mounted my rear tire after patching in 10 minutes!

$10

Last edited by BOBSZ06; 09-28-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:34 PM
eddie-d
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default my journey to find a Cup2 installer....

I have a similar experience. I picked up a set of Cup2s for my Z from the TireRack in Delaware this past Monday. I had heard that these tires are hard to remove/install but I didn't anticipate too much of a challenge finding a shop to install them in the Baltimore/DC area. Much to my surprise, I was turned away by multiple shops including 3 national tire shops, each of which claimed to have extensive experience in C7s. One shop indicated that they would install the tires but could not guarantee that they would not damage the rim--no thanks. The other would charge by the hour--again, not interested. Two car dealerships, one Chevy and the other Porsche, claimed they could do it for almost $100/tire! But they didn't really convey a convincing argument that they could really get the job done without damaging the rim or tire and the price was too steep.

Luckily, a couple of the shops recommended a small tire and rim repair shop called RimRenew in Maryland. Wow. They turned out to be a great group of guys with a lot of experience. Being a rim repair shop, I figured if they damaged the rim then they would also repair it. Fortunately, no damage done and they installed the set for less than half the price than the dealerships were charging. I dropped off the tires late Monday evening, watched them complete two wheels; the other two were ready Tuesday morning. I attribute their success to lots of experience and know-how. Although (some) dealerships have the equipment/technology to install the tires, they do not always (perhaps rarely) have the most experienced or dedicated individuals to perform the job. Also, the reality is that if their technicians take 6 hours to install 4 tires then their profit margin is not worth installing them. Oh, yeah and get this, one GM dealer was willing to install the tires IF I purchased my tires from them at nearly $650 above TireRack's price. In contrast, tire shops like the one I went to see all kinds of tires and rims every single day-which adds up to a lot of experience. Plus, these smaller shops really do depend on repeat business more than bigger retail stores so I think they tend to appreciate the customer and their business that much more.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:31 PM
Forujames
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lgodom
Reading all the tire mounting problem posts makes me wonder what process and machine GM's supplier uses?
This question comes up on these tire mounting posts, but I've never seen an answer. Certainly whoever mounts the tires for the new cars can't be spending an hour + per tire. How do they do it!?!
Old 09-28-2016, 08:32 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

In my experience they spend 1 hour + per tire. They also use a lot of the Tire Goop. And you need to clean that off the tire and wheel immediately after they are mounted. It is toxic to both you, the tire and the rim clear coat. The rears are the big problem....low profile and 20 inch rims. My DT hates to see me walk in the door. Now that I have bought a 16 Z, they get to put new sensors in 2 sets of extra wheels/tires. I expect the back half of the shop to run out when I walk in the front door.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:20 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

The type of tire machine really has nothing to do with it. It takes a tire person with a lot of experience and a special touch. I have been down this road, if you find an individual that can mount these write down his name and phone number in case he goes to another tire shop.
The following 3 users liked this post by BERETTA:
AORoads (09-29-2016), Forujames (09-28-2016), Z0Sick6 (05-19-2017)
Old 09-29-2016, 06:07 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate1
This issue is well documented on the forums. Problem is that these low profile tires are also Run Flats. There are a number of guys who've changed the tires to Conti DW tires as they are non-run flats that are easier to sit on these tires.
Another reason to buy non Run Flats.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:02 AM
bbdmac
Instructor

I purchased my car from MacMulkin and they were going to be my last resort. I had a not so good buying experience with them due to a salesman that was an asshat. He left or was fired a day or so after he sold me my car. Not sure if my bad review had anything to do with it or not. Tommy did call me and try to get me to lighten up on my GM survey, but it was too late as I had already submitted it. So for this reason I'm reluctant to go up there for service. My local dealer that has the car now called me last night to tell me that they have the first rear tire mounted and they believe that they have this figured out now. That along with the new goop coming this morning should allow them to get the other three completed today. My fingers are crossed.....
Old 09-29-2016, 09:36 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bbdmac
I purchased my car from MacMulkin and they were going to be my last resort. I had a not so good buying experience with them due to a salesman that was an asshat. He left or was fired a day or so after he sold me my car. Not sure if my bad review had anything to do with it or not. Tommy did call me and try to get me to lighten up on my GM survey, but it was too late as I had already submitted it. So for this reason I'm reluctant to go up there for service. My local dealer that has the car now called me last night to tell me that they have the first rear tire mounted and they believe that they have this figured out now. That along with the new goop coming this morning should allow them to get the other three completed today. My fingers are crossed.....

My local dealer had to replace a rear on mine when it was first received as it had been frozen in Toledo in mid February and had some cracks.
They managed to find a replacement tire, but after about 8 hours trying to mount it they called GM Tech support who told them to get the goop. Took another week to get the goop and no go!

They finally used a piece of rubber hose to seal the deal. Anyone with these tires in the future...$100/ea to mount.

The patch job I had done recently was done by someone that knew how to do it.... "plant air thru the valve stem".

Good luck with the goop.

Last edited by BOBSZ06; 09-29-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:40 AM
bbdmac
Instructor

So the dealer just called. Good news and bad news. They have the two rears mounted along with one of the fronts. They were starting to do the final rim and they realized it was another 20 inch wheel. I've gone back to the seller of the wheels and I should have a new 19 inch rim on Monday. I've hit just about every problem possible trying to get this done.

So the goop must work!

Last edited by bbdmac; 09-29-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Z06NJ (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 11:10 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by BERETTA
The type of tire machine really has nothing to do with it. It takes a tire person with a lot of experience and a special touch......
This ^............I had to take my car back to the dealer the day after I bought it because something was rattling inside the right front wheel. The tire tech broke the bead loose and found a broken TPMS sensor loose inside the wheel (which was damaged and left inside the tire from the factory mounting). The factory actually replaced the sensor but left the broken piece in the wheel. Dumbassesssesssesss!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway; the tire guy couldn't get the bead back on. So after about 15 minutes of wrestling with it this younger mechanic came over and actually talked the tire tech through the process step-by-step. The kid got it done while I got to supervise the whole process because I didn't want the Carbon Flash painted wheel returned with damage.

Life is good now!
Old 09-29-2016, 01:43 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Took mine to a local discount place (Mr Tire) - Swapped my SC2's for some PSS's; mounted, road force balanced, and out the door in about 3 hours for $1850.

They used one of those inner tube things to help seal the bead but they got it. Was definitely a PITA but the tech had a can do attitude which is what really matters

Get notified of new replies

To Mounting new tires on ZO6 rims....what a hassle!

Old 09-29-2016, 02:19 PM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,566 Likes on 860 Posts

How to bead 2015 Corvette z06
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od1bT_UDOCw

https://youtu.be/w0ovo_a79Rc

Last edited by Redc8z06; 09-29-2016 at 02:21 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Redc8z06:
BOBSZ06 (09-29-2016), ramtip (09-30-2016), tail_lights (09-30-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 02:31 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06
My local dealer had to replace a rear on mine when it was first received as it had been frozen in Toledo in mid February and had some cracks.
They managed to find a replacement tire, but after about 8 hours trying to mount it they called GM Tech support who told them to get the goop. Took another week to get the goop and no go!

They finally used a piece of rubber hose to seal the deal. Anyone with these tires in the future...$100/ea to mount.

The patch job I had done recently was done by someone that knew how to do it.... "plant air thru the valve stem".

Good luck with the goop.

Good job Redc7z06!

Shop air was used by the small shop tech that I had my tire patched...done!
Old 09-29-2016, 02:34 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I have always felt that GM should make sure dealers are equipped to service what they sell. Every dealer that wants to sell a Corvette should make the investment in training and equipment so that you can bring a set of tires in and have them mounted on the rims or have a tire removed and patched. No exception. The whole Corvette experience can be a nightmare for the person that gets his car thru a small town dealer and has to travel far away just to get new tires installed.

Quick Reply: Mounting new tires on ZO6 rims....what a hassle!