C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

retrofitting 78/82 ttops onto a 72 vette

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 04:46 PM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

Default retrofitting 78/82 ttops onto a 72 vette

Ok, I know this can be done but I can't find the answer to my question using search.

I'm putting a set of the 78 moon ttops on my 72 vette. The 72 uses the dual latch set up, and the 78-82 use the single latch in front with the rod holding the rear in place. I have the 78-82 rear ttop mount/plate set up to do the conversion.

Now my question. Do I cut down the plastic pin holder and back of the mounting plate to fit flush with the 72 mounting plate which is located in the fiberglass of the 72 vette? This is the only way I can see to make the conversion work. I don't want to drill out the mounting plate that is in the fiberglass of the 72.

I hope this makes since!
Old 09-28-2016, 07:57 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The 1978 plates should mount in place of the flat plates for the 1972 but you'll have a clearance issue with inner reinforcement where the pin holder goes. The solution is to drill a hole in the reinforcement plate large enough to accommodate the pin holder. Once you do this the plate will mount flat just like your originals. Make sense? I hope so I can be confusing at times.

Willcox.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:36 AM
crf311
Melting Slicks

So what your saying is to drill out the 1/4-20 threaded part of the mounting plate that is locateded on the inner structure of the vette. If I'm following you , wouldn't I lose the ability of going back to the 68-77 setup ? Thanks
Old 09-29-2016, 11:19 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

The newer style plates have a part that sticks out the rear (into the fiberglass of the car) where the pin from the t-top goes

If you switch to the newer plates, you need to open the hole behind them so that can stick through the fiberglass. The original plates only had the triangle post threaded stud and the clearance hole in the fiberglass was smaller (I think)

If you are careful and line it up right, if you changed back to the original style plates, they should cover the oversize hole.

Some people just remove the triangle post and drill the original plate to accept the t-top pin.... A little Bubba-ish but works in a pinch

HIH
M

Last edited by Mooser; 09-29-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:44 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Mooser
The newer style plates have a part that sticks out the rear (into the fiberglass of the car) where the pin from the t-top goes

If you switch to the newer plates, you need to open the hole behind them so that can stick through the fiberglass. The original plates only had the triangle post threaded stud and the clearance hole in the fiberglass was smaller (I think)

If you are careful and line it up right, if you changed back to the original style plates, they should cover the oversize hole.

Some people just remove the triangle post and drill the original plate to accept the t-top pin.... A little Bubba-ish but works in a pinch

HIH
M
Old 09-29-2016, 12:10 PM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mooser

HIH
M

That's what I thought. So if I make the modification, I won't be able to go back to the original style , dual latch setup, without having to replace the mount behind the fiberglass. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:19 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

No, nothing changes on the car part other than opening up the one hole (the one at the top that it only clearance)

The same bolts hold the new or old style plates onto the car. The top hole (the one you have to open up) is clearance only. Same threaded steel plate inside for both

Unless you want to fiberglass the oversized hole back down, nothing should need to be changed on the car to go back.

Mine has been changed over and I can take a couple of pictures if you want
M

Get notified of new replies

To retrofitting 78/82 ttops onto a 72 vette

Quick Reply: retrofitting 78/82 ttops onto a 72 vette