Southern California Southern California

Moving to Socal

Old 09-28-2016, 08:16 PM
Vetteguy88
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moving to Socal

Hey guys! Currently located in Indianapolis and will be relocating to SoCal for work. I want to get a head start on groups and events. Very into Autox and track days.

One thing that has me worried are my mods. I have Kooks LT, No cats, Vortex Rammer CAI, and FAST 102. I understand I will need to put cats on and that headers will not "normally" pass visual emissions. Would anyone be willing to PM location of a friendly smog shop?

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited by Vetteguy88; 09-28-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:27 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I sold my 2 cars with LTs when I moved back to Kalifornia. They would smog easily (on OBD2 test), bit wouldn't pass the visual. Many nearby states don't care so long as they pass. And "friendly" shops soon lose their business license so they are really very hard to find.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:17 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I am not sure what to recommend for the mods and the smog shops. I will leave that to others.

You will find a very active and friendly track-day community for Corvettes. I suggest you start here:
https://www.facebook.com/CorvetteChallenge/?fref=ts

http://www.speedventures.com/events/Default.aspx
Old 09-29-2016, 10:14 AM
Vetteguy88
Instructor

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:53 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Where are you planning to live in SoCal?
Old 09-29-2016, 10:47 PM
Vetteguy88
Instructor

Not sure yet the job is in Cypress. I am strongly looking at Chino Hills.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:20 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

That's a hefty commute in traffic.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:30 PM
Vetteguy88
Instructor

Any recommendations? trying to be at or under 2k a month for somewhere with a garage.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:42 AM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,223 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteguy88
Not sure yet the job is in Cypress. I am strongly looking at Chino Hills.
Great city to live in, 23 years . Give me a pm for info. Do u have a family with kids?Makes a big difference. Schools in Chino Hills are highly rated. No family just get a place in Cypress no worries about traffic.

Last edited by oldC5; 09-30-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:47 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Any recommendations? trying to be at or under 2k a month for somewhere with a garage.
Lived in SoCal my entire life, grew up very close to Chino Hills. If you're cool with over an hour each way commute to Cypress, you can certainly get more home for your money. I recently moved from south OC (San Juan Capistrano), and while that area is a fantastic place to live, it's most likely out of your budget...not to mention its still a bit of a drive to Cypress. To lessen the drive, you could look into Lake Forest, which is a nice area, Irvine adjacent without the Irvine prices. Maybe look at Brea, La Habra, Fullerton, Anaheim, and Orange which has some good areas as well. Work/Life balance...trust me, it sucks to spend 2-3 hours of your day staring at your windshield.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:49 PM
Nomomoney
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you sure you wanna or gotta move here to So Cal?
Heavy traffic day or night
Freeways are jammed packed
People everywhere
Disneyland is way over priced (as well as other theme parks)
Gas prices are high
Can't get your engine modified vehicle smogged
Taxes, taxes, taxes
too many liberals
political correctness is out of control
real estate prices high
gun restrictions are out of control
and the list goes on.....

Last edited by Nomomoney; 09-30-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:55 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nomomoney
Are you sure you wanna or gotta move here to So Cal?
Heavy traffic day or night
Freeways are jammed packed
People everywhere
Disneyland is way over priced (as well as other theme parks)
Gas prices are high
Can't get your engine modified vehicle smogged
Taxes, taxes, taxes
too many liberals
political correctness is out of control
real estate prices high
gun restrictions are out of control
and the list goes on.....

Minus Disneyland and the high gas prices, you've just summed up Oahu as well.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:55 PM
Lpe403
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stay within the rectangle formed by the 710, 22, 57 and 91. Otherwise you are going to be living in your car. Chino? GTFO - you do not want to spend anytime on the 91.

Under 2K a month with a garage will be a challenge.

Check your pm
Old 09-30-2016, 07:03 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Depending on the mods , you could be in for some decisions.

From what I can gather from random posts, because all the factory smog equipment must be in place, or certified as compliant, some just buy a california car and sell their current car back home.

I guess it depends on the age of the car and the ability to easily get all the factory parts back on. Or you could cheat with the fuel, depends on you, respect for democracy , civic duty, etc. When I was a young kid, before the smog laws, besides the usual redness and burning eyes when we went to visit the cousins, my eyes would also water at times. There was a thing called surfer's cough, you could taste the air, and we saw the surrounding mountans only a few times a year, so laws were passed . We still have heavy air pollution, highest in the nation, almost all the asian trade comes through L.A.

My six speed was set up by a local shop as their autocross car, don't know the class, but it is all stock, save for the axleback exhaust , lowered, and every third screw removed. (or so it seems) the previous owner bought it out of the back as it was being set up. I never contacted the shop, but you might, I hear they are good, and can offer better than my low skilled advice. The car's previous owner said I should use them for all work , even knowing I live in the next county.

THe corvette shop
1375 Logan ave.
Costa Mesa Ca. 92626
714 540 4381

SoCalCarCulture lists a lot of cruise ins and hot rod stuff, you might want to kick around there for some info.

Welcome to the home of car culture. Plus the food is now pretty good. I hope the move is productive for you.

Last edited by strand rider; 09-30-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:58 AM
Vetteguy88
Instructor

Thanks a bunch guys. I am going to look by the coast a little more.

Yea I have heard SoCAl is either a place you love or hate to live. I have been on many business trips out there and other than the traffic it is a beautiful place.

Indiana is definitely a different world going from one of the cheapest places to live to one of the most expensive will be jarring. Fall weather is kicking in and I am thrilled about not having to deal with winter. Year round corvette driving here I come.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:02 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 107 Posts

I am going to look by the coast a little more.
Look for a roomate? Near water cost$.. everywhere!
other than the traffic it is a beautiful place.
So, there's the good news: lots of time to look thru the W-shield at it!
Indiana is definitely a different world going from one of the cheapest places to live to one of the most expensive will be jarring. Fall weather is kicking in and I am thrilled about not having to deal with winter. Year round corvette driving here I come.
Grass is always greener. I was thinking Indy might be my next home. Then, you'll save on winter clothes!

Wife's a RE agent and $2/mo will rent you a condo in So. OC
Old 10-02-2016, 09:42 PM
Vetteguy88
Instructor

Does she do rentals? I would live some help if so. Lmk thanks.

Indy is a great place best in the Midwest imo.

Originally Posted by whalepirot
Look for a roomate? Near water cost$.. everywhere! So, there's the good news: lots of time to look thru the W-shield at it! Grass is always greener. I was thinking Indy might be my next home. Then, you'll save on winter clothes!

Wife's a RE agent and $2/mo will rent you a condo in So. OC

Get notified of new replies

To Moving to Socal

Old 10-02-2016, 10:24 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 107 Posts

Well, yes and no, for varied reasons. Primary is that not all rentals are on the MLS because landlords (inclouding me!) don't want to spend any $$ on assistance in finding tenants. Some new agents will help, within their area, to establish a relationship with a potential buyer. We live in the southern part of the county, about 30 miles from Cypress That translates into maybe 35 minutes, no traffic, or three times that in rush hour (6am-6 or 7, depending). I've not a ton of dailoy exposure to rush hour patterns, but believe you'll find it, 1) a common complaint and 2) quite directive in your travel planning. the L.A. area is vast and varied. Cheaper housing brings less desireable area, of course, and/or much longer commutes, which in reality, affects one's housing costs and quality of life. I have that tee shirt, as do others who chimed in.

Suggestion: send her your requirements: timing? family? garage? budget (we have some idea). A condo can be had, some with garages, for $2k/mo.; house will be more like $3k, minimum. She'll send you some lisitngs, which can jump start your search.

Some companies offer relo services, from temp housing to referrals to local services, but surely you already are 'on' that. I'll PM her addy.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:56 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I would return everything to stock if you still have the parts. Smog guys have been getting fines including criminal prosecution for cheating. You might get by once, but what about in 2 to 4 years down the line?
Old 10-04-2016, 02:43 PM
Vetteguy88
Instructor

Originally Posted by mike100
I would return everything to stock if you still have the parts. Smog guys have been getting fines including criminal prosecution for cheating. You might get by once, but what about in 2 to 4 years down the line?
Really its just the headers and intake that might be a problem. I have a couple leads on getting it passed. Will keep you guys updated if anything changes.

How does CA feel about out of state plates? I need a real answer not someone from a high horse.

Last edited by Vetteguy88; 10-04-2016 at 02:44 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Moving to Socal