Sponsored by:

Tranny fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 10:25 PM
AirStingray
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Tranny fluid change

I'm looking to change the ATF fluid in my 2015 z51 8 speed. I have a couple questions. First which brand should I get and is well recommended?

How much fluid does it take to fill up?

Is it harmful to mix transmission fluids?

Thank you.

Last edited by AirStingray; 09-28-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:41 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by AirStingray
I'm looking to change the ATF fluid in my 2015 z51 8 speed. I have a couple questions. First which brand should I get and is well recommended?

How much fluid does it take to fill up?

Is it harmful to mix transmission fluids?

Thank you.
Due to problems with the a8 I would chg it out with GM ATF. If you have to have war work on it and they see you have something else in it no mo war on the trans. If you pull the pan and filter it take that way about 10 qts if I remember correct but may be wrong on that.

But make sure when you top it off that you just don't fill it up then stop. You have to fill it then start the car run it thur the gears and let it pump thur the lines and fill it totally up.

Look at the DIY in here on how to chg the trans. That is what I did but I went with AMSOIL syn in mine.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:45 AM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

I have a 2015 Z51 A8. You don't say how many miles you have on your car or if you track the car etc. No need to and perhaps you already have high miles and are due a service but FWIW I was thinking that it would be good to service the trans and change fluid at my recent oil change. I have 5K miles on my car and do not track. Had a long conversation with the Corvette tech I have used for years about changing out the trans fluid early. He advised against that and said to follow the service time frame recommended in the owner guide. Just saying.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:32 AM
AirStingray
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Nice Ride
I have a 2015 Z51 A8. You don't say how many miles you have on your car or if you track the car etc. No need to and perhaps you already have high miles and are due a service but FWIW I was thinking that it would be good to service the trans and change fluid at my recent oil change. I have 5K miles on my car and do not track. Had a long conversation with the Corvette tech I have used for years about changing out the trans fluid early. He advised against that and said to follow the service time frame recommended in the owner guide. Just saying.

Okay so here is all the details.. The car has 8800 miles on it and I had to replace my transmission cooler pipes because my last one had leaked. After putting on the new pipes I had to add oil. So I mix two oils to get 10 quarts of oil, started the car, let it idle, added more until it started dripping. So the car is done. Today I went to work and my transmission fluid temp was reading around 270-280.. It didn't give me a warning message that it was hot but it was pretty hot for just a normal commute to work. I'm wondering if I could have overfilled the fluid or what.. I do not have a warranty on the car so I do everything myself.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:52 AM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Wow! 280 is very high. I still own a C-6 Corvette and it usually is right around 205 at the highest with regular driving. I also tow a boat with a 2014 F-150 Ford and the trans temp is always under 205. Unless the C7's are different your trans temp appears to way too high for regular driving.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:48 AM
Spice red Ed
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

After eight laps at spring mountain the car I drove with the A-8 transmission the temp. was 226 degrees. The outside temp. was about 75 degrees. I think you have a problem.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:22 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

You are more mechanical than I. Appreciate your ability to change out trans cooler pipe. Fluid needed to be added and in view of symptoms you are un sure of total volume. We know over fill can be as bad as under fill so you want to avoid either condition. I would probably drop buy Chevy dealer and question a Service tech. I would want to know how much residual fluid might remain in the trans if I drain it. Then I would then refill the difference to GM recommended capacity. Maybe even slightly less then check it. Good luck!
Old 09-29-2016, 01:05 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by AirStingray
Okay so here is all the details.. The car has 8800 miles on it and I had to replace my transmission cooler pipes because my last one had leaked. After putting on the new pipes I had to add oil. So I mix two oils to get 10 quarts of oil, started the car, let it idle, added more until it started dripping. So the car is done. Today I went to work and my transmission fluid temp was reading around 270-280.. It didn't give me a warning message that it was hot but it was pretty hot for just a normal commute to work. I'm wondering if I could have overfilled the fluid or what.. I do not have a warranty on the car so I do everything myself.
You have a problem with it that hot, You need to check it again to see if you had a air pocket in the lines are in the trans.

No way that you can over fill this trans if you fill it up until it starts to run out with the car not running.

Then start the car really it will start pumping the fluid thur the lines and trans then start adding more fluid until it start to run out again.

THEN YOU DRIVE THE CAR FOR LIKE AROUND THE BLOCK THEN COME BACK TO CHECK IT AGAIN THE LEVEL JUST TO MAKE SURE NO AIR POCKETS IN THE LINES ARE TRANS.

This is what I did when I chged mine out works great man. But you cant overfill this thing at all. I even bought a small hand pump to pump it into the trans. Robert

Get notified of new replies

To Tranny fluid change

Quick Reply: Tranny fluid change