Sponsored by:

Oh No!! FRC leaking!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 09:03 AM
craig_vette
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Oh No!! FRC leaking!

My 2000 FRC is a daily driver (have owned it for about 6 months). Yesterday it rained pretty bad while I was at work. When driving home, I looked over my right shoulder and noticed rain trickling down in the trunk area. This appears to be the only spot it’s leaking. I read Bill’s famous leak thread and browsed several other leak related threads, but I’m still lost as to the solution for this particular area.

In the photos below, I’ve circled the leak spot in red. Any fellow FRC owners dealt with this leak area? Suggestions?

Your input is GREATLY appreciated.

-Craig
Attached Images      
Old 09-29-2016, 10:37 AM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

WTF? My coupe leaks like crazy, but that is because the seal is old and I pull the roof off all the damn time. But I had no idea those could leak.

At least mine just leaks to the space behind the seat and my driveway is slopped. I have a pair of Shamwow's pulling duty tucked in there.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:58 PM
craig_vette
Racer

I would say my car was parked SLIGHTLY nose down, like maybe 5-10 degrees. Would a incline that small be the culprit?
Old 09-29-2016, 03:35 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

I hope not. I would think the seal would hold.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:41 PM
TuxZ06
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had something similar happen on my z06. Take apart the plastic trim. There should be 3 pieces - the center piece and one on each side. Mine was leaking from the center seal so I went over the leaking parts with RTV. I noticed the leaking whenever I washed my car. It looked like a small waterfall =/
Old 09-29-2016, 04:13 PM
craig_vette
Racer

Originally Posted by TuxZ06
I had something similar happen on my z06. Take apart the plastic trim. There should be 3 pieces - the center piece and one on each side. Mine was leaking from the center seal so I went over the leaking parts with RTV. I noticed the leaking whenever I washed my car. It looked like a small waterfall =/
Take off the plastic piece circled in green (inside trunk) or plastic circled in blue (above, outside)?
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2016, 04:19 PM
TuxZ06
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The green section. You should be able to see where it's leaking from the inside. I didn't think about taking off the outside pieces but it's probably a good idea to check now that you mention it.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:16 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

OP: there are several threads with documents showing leak points (and fixes) on FRCs.
I dont own an FRC, so I cant tell you the specific fix, but when I was searching for a solution for my coupe, I recall seeing a thread with a fix for a leak in that location on FRCs.

66dts: there are a number of different places for the coupe to leak, not just the roof. For water behind the seats, check the drain holes in the bottom of the doors, then take the door panel off and check the interior seal- its a largish rectangular piece of plastic that inserts about 8" from the rear of the door and about 6" above the bottom of the door.
It's job is to prevent water overflow into the interior in the even the drain holes are plugged, or water is entering the door faster than the holes can drain it.
If that is cracked (as mine were) it will overflow into the interior - if you can see a water trail where the interior trim pieces overlap, thats a good starting point.

To find the door drain holes: open the door and look at the body - note the small indents - one rearward and one forward? When the door is closed, those indents are just below the drain holes in the bottom of the door, and direct the daring water away from the interior
TO find the door drain holes: open the door and look at the body - note the small indents - one rearward and one forward? When the door is closed, those indents are just below the drain holes in the bottom of the door, and direct the daring water away from the interior
Additionally, if the weatherstrip on the bottom of the door is out of place, it can block the drain holes, causing the water in the door to back up and overflow if the plastic inserts are shot.

Open the hatch and make sure the drain channels (in each corner) are not clogged.

Eventually, amongst other issues, water behind the seats may cause your seatbelt take up reel to rust so bad it will not retract the belt.

If the water is coming from the front and running backwards - check the drain udders in front of the firewall and the drain hole in the front bottom of the door.
May also be a leak around the door hinges, or behind the outside mirror.
If you have used flowable silicone to try a DIY fix, it may have plugged a drainage channel.
The weatherstrips themselves are hollow - and the tube formed is used for drainage - when you open the door adn look at the weatherstrip on the B pillar - the "tube" is used to drain water from the halo. If it is plugged, you may get a leak at the joint between the roof, B pillar, and halo seal.
If the bottom of the b pillar strip is not sealed/seated correctly, instead of draining to the exterior, it drains behind the interior trim, over the seatbelt, then into the floor.

As with the FRC, the same threads alos contain lots of info about the coupe.

HTH,
AJ
Old 09-29-2016, 09:19 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I've got several Word files that discuss water leaks in the C5. If you'd like a copy, PM me your e-mail address and I'll forward them to you. I'd post them up as an attachment, but the files are too large.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:52 AM
Modern Musclecar
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TuxZ06
You should never use RTV when fixing a water leak, always use dum dum or similar product that does not fully harden
The following users liked this post:
SG Lou (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 07:49 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Modern Musclecar
You should never use RTV when fixing a water leak, always use dum dum or similar product that does not fully harden
This stuff is a life saver

Old 10-02-2016, 07:08 PM
craig_vette
Racer

Anybody know how to take off the plastic piece in the interior of the trunk circled in green above? I can't find what's holding it on. I was hoping to look behind it and see if I can determine where the leak is coming from.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:04 PM
Murray Anderson
Team Owner

Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts

When you get this figured out don't park your car with the nose down. Your trunk has holes in the rear only for draining and it will only drain level or on a slight incline. I noticed this my first wash in the driveway with the nose pointing down. Mines a vert but I'm sure the drains are universal.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:32 PM
doug_dayson
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Craig, sorry I missed this...

Yes, mine leaked in that approximate area, and the culprit in my case was somewhere in the rear tub/top seam in front of the trunk. The water would find it's way to the wheel well area due to the incline I park at. See the other thread for my fix.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1592764789

Also, the trunk lid hinge bolts have been known to leak as well though mine were dry, so check those.

Note that there are two front trunk trough drains as well as the two big rear drains, so make sure those are clear too (see the other thread, though you can see them when looking into the seam just behind the doors. They're much smaller than the rears and can clog more easily.

How is it doing now?

Originally Posted by craig_vette
My 2000 FRC is a daily driver (have owned it for about 6 months). Yesterday it rained pretty bad while I was at work. When driving home, I looked over my right shoulder and noticed rain trickling down in the trunk area. This appears to be the only spot it’s leaking. I read Bill’s famous leak thread and browsed several other leak related threads, but I’m still lost as to the solution for this particular area.

In the photos below, I’ve circled the leak spot in red. Any fellow FRC owners dealt with this leak area? Suggestions?

Your input is GREATLY appreciated.

-Craig

Last edited by doug_dayson; 10-31-2016 at 01:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
craig_vette (10-31-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 01:45 PM
craig_vette
Racer

Originally Posted by doug_dayson
Hi Craig, sorry I missed this...

Yes, mine leaked in that approximate area, and the culprit in my case was somewhere in the rear tub/top seam in front of the trunk. The water would find it's way to the wheel well area due to the incline I park at. See the other thread for my fix.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1592764789

Also, the trunk lid hinge bolts have been known to leak as well though mine were dry, so check those.

Note that there are two front trunk trough drains as well as the two big rear drains, so make sure those are clear too (see the other thread, though you can see them when looking into the seam just behind the doors. They're much smaller than the rears and can clog more easily.

How is it doing now?
Doug, thanks for taking the time to post. Fortunately, my issue seems to be resolved. I've noticed no leaks since applying RTV Silicone in the area scribbled in red in post #27 of the following thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-found-2.html
Old 11-01-2016, 03:47 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Just watched a Velocity show where they were checking for leaks. They fill the car with smoke and you can see right away where are the leaks.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:13 PM
BMan0660
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by craig_vette
Anybody know how to take off the plastic piece in the interior of the trunk circled in green above? I can't find what's holding it on. I was hoping to look behind it and see if I can determine where the leak is coming from.
2 clips. Just pull straight out.

Get notified of new replies

To Oh No!! FRC leaking!

Quick Reply: Oh No!! FRC leaking!