Sponsored by:

Out of Options! Ready to sue Dealer and GM

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 12:51 PM
aquacleaner
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out of Options! Ready to sue Dealer and GM

So here's my Situation: traded my 13 ZL-1 in mint condition (10,000 miles certified) to a GM dealer in Wisconsin (supposedly the biggest one) for a 14 C7 Z-51 back in May.

C7 Info:
the car was a program car which was given to GM execs back in 2014 to drive around n offer feedback. (I know this because a friend of my families owns a GM dealership locally n ran the VIN).
We were the first title holders and the car had only 2600 miles on it and was also certified.
I bought it site unseen as we have done many times before n wasn't worried cause it was certified. Dealership had changed oil which we looked at after test drive n is on GM's service history.

Short vetsion: what I called my banana vet has since been renamed my lemon vet

Car consumed 5 quarts of oil in less than 1000 miles twice, transmission is spent n hard to shift (like almost impossible) when cold, rear axle seal is leaking

it's obvious that GM employees trashed this car

Currently battling dealership n GM to buy car back or swap it for something else.

Customer care guy from GM won't give me contact info for the factory rep in Wisconsin nor will dealer.

Getting screwed we'd never felt so good. All they want to do is repair or replace engine n tranny with only 4000miles on it

any advise

Popular Reply

09-29-2016, 03:46 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by LimeRay
I have been a lurker here for three years, waiting and hoping this C7 would improve before I take the plunge. I am having a very hard time diving in due to all the issues that repeatedly come up with this car. If they have made huge strides as you say and these cars are still blowing engines, differentials, etc then I would hate to have owned an old Vette. I want to believe, and buy one, but I just can't get myself to do it. Maybe I need to wait for the C8 or the Zora. Arrrrgh. It's killing me.
You do know that somewhere around 100,000 C7s have been sold, right? You do know that most of those owners aren't on this forum, right? You do know that forums always grossly over represent problems and under represent those with no problems, right? People don't start new threads saying "My C7 hasn't had any problems" because it's not interesting and the forum would be packed full of them.

I've had my first-year 2014 C7 for 2.5 years. It's been to the dealer for oil changes and one minor recall, otherwise it's been flawless and it's my DD. Quit being paranoid and overthinking what you see on this or any other forum.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:00 PM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

If they will replace vs repair, I'd say go for it and have them do the rear differential as well. Brand new drivetrain....provided no suspension issues.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:41 PM
ZMan64
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

First, sorry to read about your troubles. Your history of events doesn't include attempt/s by the dealer to make necessary repairs. If that is the case, I'm pretty sure you're obligated to at least allow the dealership/GM an opportunity to make things right with your car before resorting to a buyback (which is done at GM's discretion as a courtesy and cannot be demanded by the customer) or other legal recourse.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 01:48 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

with the above. Most lemon laws require you to allow the dealer/manufacturer three attempts to repair the same issue on the car before a buyback can be done. It may vary in your state though. And there may be a time limit on which the repairs can be made - like within the first 12 months of ownership.

It's too bad you are having all those problems, but having GM replace the entire drivetrain (including the differential) may be a good way to go. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:52 PM
aquacleaner
Cruising

Default Here's my issue with repair it replace

Its a almost new car that shouldn't need extensive repair or replacement of engine n tranny. The value will take a major dump.

Its soooo obvious that this car wasn't cared for by GM employees. They should give me a buy back of a new car.

Im aware of several people who had 14's C7 engines fail n GM made them sign a non disclosure agreement n gave them an upgraded Z06 car at factory cost

Ive offered to pay the difference with dealer n he said he does have any 16 stock with configuration I want. Dealer treated me like **** from the start. The prep n "the experience" was non existent. Then they have the burritos to offer me 10k less for the car

sorry for the vent just pissing me off. I own s company n I skways do the right thing to keep client happy
Old 09-29-2016, 01:57 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

You bought a used car you knew would be ran hard and put up wet. Let the warranty work.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:00 PM
DP RS
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
with the above. Most lemon laws require you to allow the dealer/manufacturer three attempts to repair the same issue on the car before a buyback can be done. It may vary in your state though. And there may be a time limit on which the repairs can be made - like within the first 12 months of ownership.

It's too bad you are having all those problems, but having GM replace the entire drivetrain (including the differential) may be a good way to go. Good luck.
I've gone through this before. Some states also require proof of a certified letter sent to the manufacturer as well. This can be during the time that you are allowing the dealer/manufacturer to complete the work.

I ended up using a lawyer and it wasn't that expensive. My vehicle was bought back and I got a small settlement.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:13 PM
ZMan64
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aquacleaner
Its a almost new car that shouldn't need extensive repair or replacement of engine n tranny. The value will take a major dump.
Its soooo obvious that this car wasn't cared for by GM employees. They should give me a buy back of a new car.
Im aware of several people who had 14's C7 engines fail n GM made them sign a non disclosure agreement n gave them an upgraded Z06 car at factory cost
Ive offered to pay the difference with dealer n he said he does have any 16 stock with configuration I want. Dealer treated me like **** from the start. The prep n "the experience" was non existent. Then they have the burritos to offer me 10k less for the car
sorry for the vent just pissing me off. I own s company n I skways do the right thing to keep client happy
Your frustration is totally understandable. Nobody should have problems like this with an essentially "new" car. If the dealership repairs your car, it's value will not be diminished. Diminished value is assigned to vehicles that have been in a wreck, not for general repairs due to defective parts. And when you say you're "aware of" people being given breaks on upgrades for signing non-disclosure agreements does that mean you personally know them or have just heard? Anyways, it sounds like the dealership/GM are following SOP and won't discuss options until you at least allow them the opportunity to make things right with your car. Assuming you probably are, but if not, take notes and keep records of every interaction/conversation with the dealership staff or anyone at GM.

Last edited by ZMan64; 09-29-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:18 PM
Tow
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Join the club, Do you know how many of us here purchased Brand NEW C7s only to have engines and transmissions, and rear ends blow? Lots and Lots and GM won't do anything but repair them. Get it fixed it's all you can do. If the car still isn't right sue GM with a lawyer skip the BBB thing it's useless get a good lawyer and sue. First however you must let them repair the car.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:29 PM
lpabsolute
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm really sorry to hear this has happened to you. I understand you thought you were safe in buying the car being that it was certified. Sounds like they just slapped that sticker on the front windshield to sell it. What sucks even more is that this was done by GM. Hope you find a resolution. Maybe when they realize the cost of replacing everything new they will just trade it out. I hope that is the case. Hope you have better luck from GM than I currently am. Good Luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:56 PM
aquacleaner
Cruising

Default Thanks for the comments n support

as a reference point I bought a 99 C5 with 70,000 miles on to set it up for HPDE n daily fun n it's a project n a half but I knew going in it would be. $55,400 I expected a quality car. As a collector Of watches n cars (wife said watches were cheaper hobby) never had anything close to this from a vehicle or comoany - German n Asian both wonderful. It's sad
Old 09-29-2016, 03:16 PM
ZMan64
Burning Brakes

never had anything close to this from a vehicle or comoany - German n Asian both wonderful. It's sad
Wonderful? Granted U.S. automakers haven't exactly been known for their high quality products, but over the last 10 years or so they have made huge strides in performance, luxury, and reliability. What about the Germans? If their vehicles are built so well why do their 6 figure cars lose half their value (on average) in just a few years?

You rolled the dice on a used car and didn't come up a winner this time. No reason to slam the entire American auto industry.

Last edited by ZMan64; 09-29-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:23 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by ZMan64
First, sorry to read about your troubles. Your history of events doesn't include attempt/s by the dealer to make necessary repairs. If that is the case, I'm pretty sure you're obligated to at least allow the dealership/GM an opportunity to make things right with your car before resorting to a buyback (which is done at GM's discretion as a courtesy and cannot be demanded by the customer) or other legal recourse.
I am sorry for your problems for sure. However, whether you want to hear it, or not you will have to go through the warranty process before anything else can happen. That's just the way it works. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:31 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lrobe22
You bought a used car you knew would be ran hard and put up wet. Let the warranty work.
This. It's what warranties are for.

Originally Posted by Tow
Join the club, Do you know how many of us here purchased Brand NEW C7s only to have engines and transmissions, and rear ends blow? Lots and Lots and GM won't do anything but repair them.
GM "won't do anything but repair them." WTF else do you want? Cars have a warranty for a reason and no new car - from any manufacturer - is perfect. GM is doing exactly what they SHOULD do.

Last edited by Steve_R; 09-29-2016 at 03:31 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Steve_R:
Bowmanr1 (10-02-2016), Crossed Flags Fan (09-30-2016), Glen e (09-29-2016), JimNeedsC7 (09-30-2016), nmvettec7 (09-29-2016), Rebel Yell (09-29-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-29-2016, 03:34 PM
aquacleaner
Cruising

Default I humbely disagree

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
I am sorry for your problems for sure. However, whether you want to hear it, or not you will have to go through the warranty process before anything else can happen. That's just the way it works. Good luck.
As the first title holder (the title is from GM) of the car and the fact that was certified means that GM and only GM people drove the car as opposed to an individual hence they should allow the option for the car to be returned based on the fact that they're employeees damaged the car.

It's now very apparent to me just how little the people who drive this car cared about it. The door sills are seriously nicked n dinged n in hind site a sign of how this car was treated. Even after 5 left hip surgeries I still lift my leg up n have yet to touch it with my foot.

Those who drive it treated it very poorly n yet the deakership certified it. Id like to know who cleaned the oil off the tail pipes.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:36 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by ZMan64
Wonderful? Granted U.S. automakers haven't exactly been known for their high quality products, but over the last 10 years or so they have made huge strides in performance, luxury, and reliability. What about the Germans? If their vehicles are built so well why do their 6 figure cars lose half their value (on average) in just a few years?

You rolled the dice on a used car and didn't come up a winner this time. No reason to slam the entire American auto industry.
I don't believe you really understand the used car market. regarding the 6 figure German cars, most people that pay 6 figures for a daily driven grocery getter, don't buy used grocery getters. They trade the old one in and buy a new 6 figure German car.

That leaves a car looking for a buyer that isn't going to pay 6 figures for a used 6 figure car. Not many people making $40,000-$50,000 a year are buying two year old German cars that were 6 figures when new, so the used car price of that used 6 figure car is based on the people that want a 6 figure car, but can't afford to pay 6 figures for a used one. That limits the number of people buying used 6 figure German cars for 6 figures.

It has nothing to do with the quality of the used 6 figure German car. Actually, most of those people that pay 5 figures for that used German 6 figure car, could buy a brand new 5 figure American car for much less than the used 6 figure German car and have a longer warranty with the American car but are willing to take a chance on the used 6 figure German car with less warranty remaining.

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-29-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:36 PM
aquacleaner
Cruising

Default After reading these posts

Originally Posted by 08g8v8
if they will replace vs repair, i'd say go for it and have them do the rear differential as well. Brand new drivetrain....provided no suspension issues.
i agree

Get notified of new replies

To Out of Options! Ready to sue Dealer and GM

Old 09-29-2016, 03:39 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

As the first title holder (the title is from GM) of the car and the fact that was certified means that GM and only GM people drove the car as opposed to an individual hence they should allow the option for the car to be returned based on the fact that they're employeees damaged the car.
*their

There is no law requiring them to do what you want, so unless your contract says it (which is highly doubtful), what they have to do and what you think they should do are two very different things.

As for the door sill damage you mention, did you not inspect the car prior to buying it?
Old 09-29-2016, 03:40 PM
Silver Stingray
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

It's now very apparent to me just how little the people who drive this car cared about it. The door sills are seriously nicked n dinged n in hind site a sign of how this car was treated. Even after 5 left hip surgeries I still lift my leg up n have yet to touch it with my foot.

Those who drive it treated it very poorly n yet the deakership certified it. Id like to know who cleaned the oil off the tail pipes.
Um, no. You bought the car. It has a warranty. They will fix it. They will not give you a new car or buy it back unless lemon laws are met. Period.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:41 PM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 215 Posts

So here's my Situation: traded my 13 ZL-1 in mint condition (10,000 miles certified) to a GM dealer in Wisconsin (supposedly the biggest one) for a 14 C7 Z-51 back in May.

C7 Info:
the car was a program car which was given to GM execs back in 2014 to drive around n offer feedback. (I know this because a friend of my families owns a GM dealership locally n ran the VIN).
We were the first title holders and the car had only 2600 miles on it and was also certified.
I bought it site unseen as we have done many times before n wasn't worried cause it was certified. Dealership had changed oil which we looked at after test drive n is on GM's service history.

Short vetsion: what I called my banana vet has since been renamed my lemon vet

Car consumed 5 quarts of oil in less than 1000 miles twice, transmission is spent n hard to shift (like almost impossible) when cold, rear axle seal is leaking

it's obvious that GM employees trashed this car

Currently battling dealership n GM to buy car back or swap it for something else.

Customer care guy from GM won't give me contact info for the factory rep in Wisconsin nor will dealer.

Getting screwed we'd never felt so good. All they want to do is repair or replace engine n tranny with only 4000miles on it

any advise
My father drove company cars as a Chevy dist rep for his entire career.
Always returned them to a local dealer at 3,000 miles - for resale as a "used car" or , he might have ordered and driven it for a friend who got it as a great deal/used car. That's how the company car system used to work.
Hell, he drove my first car for me in 1972 !
Its weird that you got a 2014 car with 3K miles in May of 2016...seems that car was sitting around for over a year after the one ( likely never 2) employee returned it for sale...There is a back story here that is worth investigating.

Last edited by mtaxman; 09-29-2016 at 03:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Out of Options! Ready to sue Dealer and GM