C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bit by the Balancer - p/n Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 07:58 AM
Coyote Dave
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bit by the Balancer - p/n Question

2011 base with 33K miles, started getting the morning cold chirp. Dealer notes say they found wobble over 1/4" and needs replacing. I understand I would have been wise to get and ATI or other aftermarket, but that was not an option this time, but fortunately I had an extended warranty purchased by previous owner (on this forum) that I transferred for $75. Total labor and parts in St. Louis was $1270, including belts, new bolt, and new seal FYI. I got off with paying pretty much $50.

One thing I wonder about is the balancer p/n. I had been researching part 12635652 from previous threads as being the stock part, as I had been hoping GM might have finally released a better version. My invoice says they used 12674582. When I Google that it says Chevy Performance and is for sale at places like Summit & JEGS.

I'm crossing my fingers they maybe they did me a favor and at least swapped in a better GM piece?? Any insight appreciated.

Down the road I hope to do a cam swap, so I'll deal with it again then if necessary.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:58 AM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

Well, it shows up as original AC Delco balancer on Rock Auto, seems like they just swapped for a new oem piece.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:40 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

As far as I know GM has never redesigned the part. I've seen different numbers but always the same balancer.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:59 AM
Iceman007
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I used a GM part when I replaced mine a few months back as they said there would be a year warranty on parts/labor whereas the aftermarket one I wanted them to use would have no type of warranty. It will probably start chirping right after the warranty expires lol.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:35 AM
NoRuls
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Default GM Performance part

In the spring I went on the ATI site and they had a video showing a table set up with their products. Low and behold there was the GM Performance balancer. So my assumption is that the performance part is built by ATI.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:42 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRuls
In the spring I went on the ATI site and they had a video showing a table set up with their products. Low and behold there was the GM Performance balancer. So my assumption is that the performance part is built by ATI.
the GM Performance Parts hb's are ATI hb's that they resticker in some cases for crate engines.other times the don't even bother to put the GM sticker on it.GM uses ATI hb's exclusively on all the 24 hour endurance racing Corvettes when they want to avoid hb failures
Old 09-30-2016, 11:01 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Power bond SFI unit is as good or better then the ATI at more then half the price
Old 10-01-2016, 04:18 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I just had mine replaced under warranty and both the parts manager and the service manager stated that the new part number was a better part and they have not seen any failures . Because it was under warranty I to chose the GM route , what the heck it was free so ..... if it goes bad again , I will keep bringing it back to them

Dave
Old 10-01-2016, 05:24 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
I just had mine replaced under warranty and both the parts manager and the service manager stated that the new part number was a better part and they have not seen any failures . Because it was under warranty I to chose the GM route , what the heck it was free so ..... if it goes bad again , I will keep bringing it back to them

Dave
I'd like to see a picture of it.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:30 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
I'd like to see a picture of it.
I am going to be installing a LSX R manifold, I will see if I can snap a few , not sure what we will be able to see as it's mounted on the car

Funny story when I brought it in ,

Service writer to parts

Got another bad balancer .....do we have any of the new style

Parts dept , sarcasm.... no way ..... really...... , just got two of the new style in , I will put his name on it .....

Dave
Old 10-02-2016, 10:46 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

We had that quandary this Spring- balancer going bad at 90k miles, get free replacement under GMPP warranty or pay out of my pocket for aftermarket?

We chose the free GM replacement, if it fails while we still own the car and the extended warranty has run out (good to 140k miles now), then I will probably go aftermarket. But out of perhaps 40 C6's in our local club, mine is the only one to go bad so far.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:16 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
As far as I know GM has never redesigned the part. I've seen different numbers but always the same balancer.
Why would they Rosey, when they have suffered no consequences for installing a sub-par unit for how many years now ? Just sad
NSF

Get notified of new replies

To Bit by the Balancer - p/n Question

Quick Reply: Bit by the Balancer - p/n Question