C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone actually sold a car from an ad here?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 03:53 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17
Default Anyone actually sold a car from an ad here?

Since listing my car for sale here I've noticed dozens of cars being listed for sale but none, or almost none, are ever sold. Does anyone have any real knowledge that listing a car for sale in this forum is worth it? Any other suggestions? I've listed it on Craigslist and Cargurus too. I do realize there's a glut of Vettes for sale but I thought someone might actually be interested in buying one.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:57 PM
Hunter245
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryL
Since listing my car for sale here I've noticed dozens of cars being listed for sale but none, or almost none, are ever sold. Does anyone have any real knowledge that listing a car for sale in this forum is worth it? Any other suggestions? I've listed it on Craigslist and Cargurus too. I do realize there's a glut of Vettes for sale but I thought someone might actually be interested in buying one.
Is it priced fairly considering mileage and condition if so vettes don't last very long
Old 10-07-2016, 03:57 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I sold my 2000 C5 in under 12 hours thanks to this site.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:08 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I sold my 2000 C5 in under 12 hours thanks to this site.
I sold my 98 C5 in about a week here. It was only 50k miles. Lots of mods.

I think you have a better chance selling a modded car here than with a dealer. Bought my C6 Here a few weeks later. I think a lot of people here look for value. I bought my C6 Modded with items I knew I would like installed along with factory options.

I also stayed away from cars with high miles.

Last edited by pjazz; 10-07-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:19 PM
INTRCUL
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I purchased a ZR1 from here over a year ago. Seller also posted locally and on eBay and although he received tons of interest from other sites they all turned out to be tire kickers, even the one who won the eBay auction. As others have said, this is a great place to advertise anything for sale because you are reaching the highest number of actual, real world enthusiasts.

And the rarer the car, the greater the audience that will be willing to come to you from far away, because that potential buyer may never have known about your car if not listed here.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:22 PM
kingeak
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 39 Posts

After looking for several months, I bought my 2013 GS from a CF member in Arkansas back in May.

Not sure how long he had it listed, but I would certainly do it again.

I still read the classifieds and it's ALL about price, mileage & condition (usually in that order).

The ones listed for months with comment after comment are the ones priced too high.

Some people aren't realistic, but the fact is if they're priced right, they sell quick.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:24 PM
z06Don
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Also try autotrader
Old 10-07-2016, 04:26 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

It's free, so you really have nothing to lose....I bought my C6 on here , so I guess it works sometimes.......WW

Last edited by WW7; 10-07-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:57 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Hunter245
Is it priced fairly considering mileage and condition if so vettes don't last very long
Really? I certainly don't see that. Mine is a two owner vert that is immaculate with a complete service history (and) is listed with a price Or Best Offer. Needs nothing. It's had 1,100+ tire kickers and that's it. If anyone were interested you'd think I'd at least get some kind of offer. In the mean time I've seen dozens more listed and they don't seem to be selling either.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:59 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Really? I certainly don't see that. Mine is a two owner vert that is immaculate with a complete service history (and) is listed with a price Or Best Offer. Needs nothing. It's had 1,100+ tire kickers and that's it. If anyone were interested you'd think I'd at least get some kind of offer. In the mean time I've seen dozens more listed and they don't seem to be selling either.
Yet I sold mine in under 12 hours. You might want to try lowering your asking price.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:24 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

To be honest, it's as much the time of year as anything. Most folks don't start looking for toys like boats, motorcycles, sports cars or other non-essential luxury items when the weather turns ugly. Now, this only applies to areas where winter is a factor, and not so much in south, southwest, or California. The other thing I've always assumed is that, for the expensive late-model vehicles selling above the $35-40K mark, you're selling to a very limited market. Most folks who can pay cash--or at least come up with a big enough downpayment to get a loan on such a vehicle--are also flush enough to buy new and avoid the hassles of the unknown with a used car plus able to pick their choice of model, color, options, etc. The seller must find an interested buyer with this list of qualities: looking for that exact car, find it to be a bargain or at least at market value, have available cash, be nearby to check out the vehicle, and ready to pull the trigger. In my eyes, that's a small market.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:47 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

I have bought 3 cars from the C6 for sale section, all three sight unseen, all three were perfect and 2 out of the 3 I flew down from Canada and drove them home.

***EDIT*** 4, I actually bought 4, forgot about the 750HP LPE ZR1......

Last edited by Racer; 10-07-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:53 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Yet I sold mine in under 12 hours. You might want to try lowering your asking price.
So, no one understands what OBO means?
Old 10-07-2016, 06:04 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Do a search for the word SOLD in the C6 Vettes for Sale forum.

Looks like there were 177 of them in the last 3 months.
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2016, 06:13 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Well, since you asked:

Your ad doesn't make it sound like you're a serious seller.

Your price is $5000 too high. You're priced higher than a lot of dealers, and you're not a retailer and can't provide the services a retailer can.

You need better pictures, and more of them. Several interior and under the hood needed too.

You should list all points instead of writing paragraphs.

Post a Carfax, you can buy one for $2.99.

List all maintenance done.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:50 PM
K7MXE
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought a car on the forum from the opposite end of the country and flew back and drove it home. No issues except with the New York dmv which we got around. Paid the man his asking price and got a nice clean spotless car. Yes ads sell if the car and price are correct.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:13 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

It's a great looking car. If I were looking, the mileage is a little high at 88,000 to pay over $22,000. The fact that it's an A6 is better than an A4 but the LS2 is not as attractive as the LS3. Just my 2 cents. Like I said though, it's a beautiful vert!

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone actually sold a car from an ad here?

Old 10-07-2016, 09:36 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Yep -- last December.

Buyer and seller both happy...
Old 10-07-2016, 10:04 PM
miwitte
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've sold 2 here and bought 3 here so yes it works. I admit most are asking too much but you will find much nicer cars selling and buying here. You get what you pay for if it's really cheap it probably has a issue.

when pricing for buying or selling I use kbb, edmunds, car guru, corvette Dna, auto trader, eBay, all the sites to make a price to sell at and buy at. You can't make it emotional and that's when you see pricing out of line.
I sell at a reasonable price I buy at a reasonable price a couple grand either way to get a really nice car is fine with me.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:11 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

totally. I had my 2012 GS CE listed with 3 or 4 thousand miles and not one bite. I wouldn't list my car here on the forum again. I'd rather trade it in and lose 2 or 3 grand than post it here.

Last edited by billyboy47; 10-07-2016 at 11:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone actually sold a car from an ad here?