C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Power glide question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 06:36 PM
JMills
Drifting

Received 784 Likes on 330 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Default Power glide question

Can anybody help me out? Why is my powerglide transmission shifting so hard when put into reverse or Drive !

Thanks John
Old 10-13-2016, 07:31 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

idle too high?

Bill
Old 10-13-2016, 07:44 PM
William Buckley
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 48 Posts
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JMills
Can anybody help me out? Why is my powerglide transmission shifting so hard when put into reverse or Drive !

Thanks John

I dropped my tach down to 700rpm, and I have the same problem also. I'm interested in any comments myself.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:06 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

When I had the PowerGlide in my '63 rebuilt, the rebuilder cautioned me that the kit was missing a Bellville washer, the purpose of which is to cushion the shock when shifting into gear from neutral.

Sure enough, once in a while when going from Neutral to Drive or to Reverse, it will go into gear with a bang.

He told me the location of the Bellville washer was somewhere in the tailshaft housing and that it was easy to add, if ever I obtained one.

This may not be the problem with your transmission, but it definitely is what's going on with mine.

Jim
The following 2 users liked this post by jim lockwood:
Fawndeuce (10-21-2016), William Buckley (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 10:34 PM
William Buckley
Racer

2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
When I had the PowerGlide in my '63 rebuilt, the rebuilder cautioned me that the kit was missing a Bellville washer, the purpose of which is to cushion the shock when shifting into gear from neutral.

Sure enough, once in a while when going from Neutral to Drive or to Reverse, it will go into gear with a bang.

He told me the location of the Bellville washer was somewhere in the tailshaft housing and that it was easy to add, if ever I obtained one.

This may not be the problem with your transmission, but it definitely is what's going on with mine.

Jim

Thanks for the information. I will ask the next person that I contact that knows automatic transmissions about this solution.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:07 PM
JMills
Drifting

Received 784 Likes on 330 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by William Buckley
Thanks for the information. I will ask the next person that I contact that knows automatic transmissions about this solution.
Let me know if u will!

Thanks John
Old 10-14-2016, 06:17 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Thanks John
Had that problem the guy I bought it from thought it was loose U joints . It would slap into gear and shift and clunk and carry on .

My mechanic adjusted the manifold vacuum and the timing it as smooth as silk and a complete different car. The way it should shift back in the day.
The following 2 users liked this post by rtruman:
Fawndeuce (10-21-2016), William Buckley (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 07:44 AM
William Buckley
Racer

2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rtruman
Had that problem the guy I bought it from thought it was loose U joints . It would slap into gear and shift and clunk and carry on .

My mechanic adjusted the manifold vacuum and the timing it as smooth as silk and a complete different car. The way it should shift back in the day.

My timing has just been checked. Will look at both manifold vacuum and the Bellville washer as solutions.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:32 PM
jules-57
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My '66 has shifted that way since I got it back in '83. It is always a hard shift from P to R. Although idle might may have much to do with it. Will also look at the Bellville washer. There's an entire wiki page on this thing. From what I gather, it acts as a spring or shock and that makes sense that it cushions the impact.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:27 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

My understanding (and keep in mind I know zip-point-zero about PowerGlides) is that the one Belleville washer which cushions the F/R gear transitions is (or should be) inside the tail shaft housing. And apparently it can be added at any time..... unbolt the housing and seemingly where the washer goes will be obvious. Stands to reason, then, that its absence should be equally obvious.
The following users liked this post:
William Buckley (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 04:59 PM
William Buckley
Racer

2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
My understanding (and keep in mind I know zip-point-zero about PowerGlides) is that the one Belleville washer which cushions the F/R gear transitions is (or should be) inside the tail shaft housing. And apparently it can be added at any time..... unbolt the housing and seemingly where the washer goes will be obvious. Stands to reason, then, that its absence should be equally obvious.

My car is a restored coupe, and I am thinking that there is the possibility that a washer was not installed in the restoration causing this problem. Will have it put on a lift and have a competent mechanic check to see if there is one. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:09 PM
rene-paul
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Check the 63 shop manual, powerglide 7-35. Item #44 is called Reverse Clutch Cushion [Bellville] Spring. Location is in the main case as I see it.
Brgds,
Rene
The following 2 users liked this post by rene-paul:
Fawndeuce (10-21-2016), William Buckley (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 11:58 PM
GearheadJoe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 617 Likes on 410 Posts

Thanks John
If you also have hard shifting on the 1-2 upshift, the problem could be with the vacuum modulator. I recall that a Powerglide I had in a 1961 Impala developed a hard 1-2 upshift, and the problem was traced to the vacuum modulator.

On that car, the vacuum modulator was an easily-removable can on the side of the transmission, connected to an engine vacuum hose. The purpose of the vacuum modulator is to smooth out the shifting to make it less abrupt. Either a bad vacuum modulator or a disconnected vacuum hose can cause very abrupt shifting.
William Buckley (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 07:45 AM
William Buckley
Racer

2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by GearheadJoe
If you also have hard shifting on the 1-2 upshift, the problem could be with the vacuum modulator. I recall that a Powerglide I had in a 1961 Impala developed a hard 1-2 upshift, and the problem was traced to the vacuum modulator.

On that car, the vacuum modulator was an easily-removable can on the side of the transmission, connected to an engine vacuum hose. The purpose of the vacuum modulator is to smooth out the shifting to make it less abrupt. Either a bad vacuum modulator or a disconnected vacuum hose can cause very abrupt shifting.

Thanks for the info, Joe, but the shift from 1 to 2 is smooth. Only problem is going into drive or reverse from park or neutral.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:12 PM
GearheadJoe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by William Buckley
Thanks for the info, Joe, but the shift from 1 to 2 is smooth. Only problem is going into drive or reverse from park or neutral.
Well, I am just speaking from memory of what I was able to easily fix on an Impala about 40 years ago. The symptoms may not be quite as I recall. Hopefully someone who is more familiar with the function of the vacuum modulator can comment here. The vacuum modulator is an external part that is very easy to replace, and sometimes the only problem is a disconnected or leaking vacuum hose.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:03 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

The purpose of the vacuum modulator is to smooth out the shifting to make it less abrupt... .
The vacuum modulator is there because the 'glide uses it instead of the more typical throttle valve rod mechanically attached to the throttle linkage. The purpose of both is the same, to tell the transmission how far down the driver has the gas pedal. One does it with a rod, the other with engine vacuum - both adjust line pressure in the hydraulic control circuit to control downshift and upshift timing.

If the low band on a Powerglide is adjusted too tight it will cause immediate and unpleasant engagement from park to drive and is exacerbated by a high curb idle.

Dan
William Buckley (10-16-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 09:19 AM
William Buckley
Racer

2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dplotkin
The vacuum modulator is there because the 'glide uses it instead of the more typical throttle valve rod mechanically attached to the throttle linkage. The purpose of both is the same, to tell the transmission how far down the driver has the gas pedal. One does it with a rod, the other with engine vacuum - both adjust line pressure in the hydraulic control circuit to control downshift and upshift timing.

If the low band on a Powerglide is adjusted too tight it will cause immediate and unpleasant engagement from park to drive and is exacerbated by a high curb idle.

Dan

Thanks very much for that information. I have about three different issues that were brought up by members to talk about with a knowledgeable transmission mechanic. Members here are a treasure trove of information, I appreciate the input.

Get notified of new replies

To Power glide question

Old 10-20-2016, 11:37 PM
GearheadJoe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dplotkin

Dan
On the Powerglide that originally came in my '67, there were both a vacuum modulator *and* a mechanical throttle position sensor (TPS). I've never been quite sure about the intended function of the mechanical TPS.

One thing I know for sure is that at the very end of the TPS travel (throttle pedal floored), the TPS engages a kick-down valve to force a downshift at speeds under about 60 mph.

I believe that for positions less than a floored throttle pedal, the mechanical TPS is supposed to modulate the speed at which the 1-2 upshift occurs. For example, at light throttle the upshift might occur at 20 mph, while at heavy throttle the upshift would occur at 50 mph.

When I got my '67 in 2004, I noticed that the 1-2 upshift always occurred at about 20 mph, regardless of the amount of throttle applied. I suspected that something was not working properly with the transmission's valve body. I ended up replacing the Powerglide with a Tremec TKO-600 5-speed, so I never got around to resolving the question about the proper operation of the mechanical TPS.

In any event, for the OP that is trying to figure out a hard-shifting problem, it would be a good idea to confirm that the mechanical TPS is connected and is adjusted properly. The adjustment procedure is very simple and is described in the shop manual.

I think the vacuum modulator is the prime suspect for the hard shifting, but there is probably some interaction between the vacuum modulator and the mechanical TPS.
William Buckley (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 12:54 AM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

On the Powerglide that originally came in my '67, there were both a vacuum modulator *and* a mechanical throttle position sensor (TPS). I've never been quite sure about the intended function of the mechanical TPS.

One thing I know for sure is that at the very end of the TPS travel (throttle pedal floored), the TPS engages a kick-down valve to force a downshift at speeds under about 60 mph.
You are correct. The TV rod (throttle valve rod) controls the speed at which 1-2 up shift occurrs. Shorten rod to increase up shift speed.
William Buckley (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 07:33 AM
William Buckley
Racer

2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Thanks for the flow of information. I mistakenly left the car with a shop that said they knew about adjustment and repair of the vacuum modulator. When pulling the unit out, they dropped a piece of the control rod down in my transmission pan. It has gone downhill from there. Without that working I had to drive the car with REALLY BAD shifting problems to an NCRS certified shop that I found. He has the car now. Lesson learned .... only use someone that really knows what they are talking about!
Wjkiefiuk@comcast.ne (10-23-2019)

Quick Reply: Power glide question