Sponsored by:

Tire Sizes

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 07:46 PM
BillD1956
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Sizes

Need some ideas. Putting new tires on the 03 base coupe I just purchased. Besides the OEM size, are there some alternative sizes that are maybe a little taller and won't rub? The idea is to fill the fender opening a little more. Or I have heard of lowering these cars, which would probably have the same effect, but I am not sure I want to do that. Suggestions please.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:41 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Go with 275 in front and 295/305 in the rear
Old 10-13-2016, 10:17 PM
coia96vette
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I believe 265/40/17 will fit the fronts and 295/35/18 will fit the rears using the stock wheels.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:07 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by coia96vette
I believe 265/40/17 will fit the fronts and 295/35/18 will fit the rears using the stock wheels.

Does going to the wider sizes on the stock rims cause the sidewalls to bulge? I have seen this many times (not necessarily on Vettes, but certainly on other cars).
Old 10-14-2016, 08:14 AM
coia96vette
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

These are the largest sizes that will not cause bulging using the stock wheels. Been thinking about using these sizes when it comes time to replace mine.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:11 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

IMO, C5's look much better with 18/19 wheels vs. the 17/18 factory set up. 18's are on econoboxes these days. I run 18/19 with the C6 OEM tire sizes - plenty of brands to chose from. I lowered maybe an inch? I fiddled around until the "air" space above the tires was about the same as at the sides - centering up the wheel in opening, if you will. I think it looks good - not stupid low, but again, IMO, how it should look.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:25 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by jackthelad
IMO, C5's look much better with 18/19 wheels vs. the 17/18 factory set up. 18's are on econoboxes these days. I run 18/19 with the C6 OEM tire sizes - plenty of brands to chose from. I lowered maybe an inch? I fiddled around until the "air" space above the tires was about the same as at the sides - centering up the wheel in opening, if you will. I think it looks good - not stupid low, but again, IMO, how it should look.

I've got a question. I've been noticing that there are several bargain brand tires available in the stock front size, but when it comes to the rears, there doesn't seem to be any of these bargain brand tires available. I've seen tires for the front that are under $80...not saying I'd want to run that particular tire, but there are several other brand/model tires available close to that price range. For the rears it seems to be a completely different ball game. The price goes up dramatically. I can certainly understand a wider tire is going to be more expensive, but does the selection (and prices) get any better when you step up to a 19 as opposed to the 18s?
Old 10-20-2016, 12:45 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by BillD1956
Need some ideas. Putting new tires on the 03 base coupe I just purchased. Besides the OEM size, are there some alternative sizes that are maybe a little taller and won't rub? The idea is to fill the fender opening a little more. Or I have heard of lowering these cars, which would probably have the same effect, but I am not sure I want to do that. Suggestions please.
Lower your car on the stock bolts if it isn't already. Other than that you can go slightly wider in both front and back that will close the gap a little more but not by much.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:54 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 395 Posts

Messing with tire sizes will affect the accuracy of the speedometer, I'd avoid that
Old 10-20-2016, 01:59 PM
H Watkins
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16, '21

Originally Posted by DDaaryl
Messing with tire sizes will affect the accuracy of the speedometer, I'd avoid that
Good advice, especially for drastic changes. Go to www.tiresize.com to see how the size differences will affect actual speedometer readings.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:32 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by DDaaryl
Going from stock C5 to stock C6 tire sizes will have almost no effect as they are slightly lower profile. Depending on which size calculator you use (and which tire manufacturer) the difference is between zero and a quarter of an inch. Which is less than you get from wear.

IMO, best way to fill up the wheel well is lowering on the stock bolts. I "trimmed" mine so that the space in front of the wheels and above them is about the same. Looks good to me - maybe an inch lower but definitely not stupid low.

You do need to make sure that the front/rear overall size ratio does not deviate too much from the OEM set up or you can get traction control warnings.

There are plenty of tires available in the 18/19 C6 stock sizes, both R/F and non R/F. Got mine as a wheel/tire package from Tire Rack complete with new tire pressure sensors.

Personally, I avoid cheap tires - especially these days with unknown brands originating from China. And please don't put low quality tires on the front and good ones on the back, on a car with Corvette levels of performance. If you want to do that, just make sure your life insurance is in good shape, LOL.

Last edited by jackthelad; 10-20-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:52 AM
BillD1956
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jackthelad
going from stock c5 to stock c6 tire sizes will have almost no effect as they are slightly lower profile. Depending on which size calculator you use (and which tire manufacturer) the difference is between zero and a quarter of an inch. Which is less than you get from wear.

Imo, best way to fill up the wheel well is lowering on the stock bolts. I "trimmed" mine so that the space in front of the wheels and above them is about the same. Looks good to me - maybe an inch lower but definitely not stupid low.

You do need to make sure that the front/rear overall size ratio does not deviate too much from the oem set up or you can get traction control warnings.

There are plenty of tires available in the 18/19 c6 stock sizes, both r/f and non r/f. Got mine as a wheel/tire package from tire rack complete with new tire pressure sensors.

Personally, i avoid cheap tires - especially these days with unknown brands originating from china. And please don't put low quality tires on the front and good ones on the back, on a car with corvette levels of performance. If you want to do that, just make sure your life insurance is in good shape, lol.
​​​​​

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Sizes

Quick Reply: Tire Sizes