Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Pilkington Classic Glass - disappointing

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 12:43 PM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Pilkington Classic Glass - disappointing

I'm really not one to gripe, complain, or vent, but in this case.

As far as I know there are only two suppliers of glass for our classic corvettes, Auto City Classic and Pilkington Classic. A few years ago I bought a windshield for a 1960 from Auto City Classic, and at the time I believe the glass was actually made by Pilkington glass in their Mexico plant and Auto City Classic did the LOF logo and date coding.

During restoration of my 66 coupe I decided to replace all the glass. Did my research again and what I found (not sure if all is true or not) is that Auto City Classic now gets their glass from a glass manufacturer in Thailand and the glass quality is purported not to be the best. Pilkington supposedly gets their glass from a manufacturer in Japan and supposed to be much higher quality of glass. Again, I don't know how much if any of the above is factual. But I've heard if its on the internet it must be true.

So, I chose to order $1,500 of glass from Pilkington Classic. I placed my order with a Pilkington rep via telephone on July 1st. He said he thought all the glass was available.

He asked about logo and date details. I had prepared a detailed document with pictures of correct Logos, dating and positioning so I emailed that to him. I asked him to please verify receipt of the document and confirm that it would answer their questions.

Never heard back! So the following week I emailed, not to pester, but just get some assurance that he got my document and it was OK. Got no response!! I waited another couple of days and called. My rep was not available so another rep took a message to have him call me back. No call back!!!

I waited another week, called back and got my rep. All was well except they didn't have all the glass after all. They were waiting for some of it.

Trying to be very patient, I waited another month and called again. My rep said they had most of it all and done but waiting for the vent glass. He offered to ship what they had, but since I needed it all, I said just ship it all together.

The $1,500 charge hit my credit card the middle of September so I expected a call any time. Got no call. I called and got my Rep on the 28th of September (now almost 3 months since placing the order) and asked that since my card got charged did that mean the glass was shipped. He said not necessarily. This guy could use of lessons about customer service. Every time I called he seemed put upon to even deal with me. He checked and said, yes the glass had shipped the prior Tuesday, 20th of September. He said it could take two or three weeks for the glass to arrive at their Baltimore location. I was picking up the glass in their Baltimore location to save $200 in shipping. Shipping from Ohio to Baltimore and takes two to three weeks!!! I don't complain, I don't speculate, I just say OH WELL.

Fast forward to two days ago, October 12th, now 13 plus weeks since my order was placed and I call my rep. He is surprised that I have not gotten a call from their facility in Baltimore. He promises to check into it and call me back. This AM, the 14th I get his call back and they can not find the glass. It is lost in shipment. Now this is for a coupe, a windshield, rear glass, glass for two doors and glass for two vent windows. Not in a small box.

I would just caution anyone needing glass, to choose wisely. Maybe wanting the best quality glass doesn't matter if you can't get it. I was hoping to get my car ready for the NCRS Regional event in Florida in early January. That seems a long shot now.

Yes I'm one of those fools that spends to much money to do an NCRS restoration, but its my money and I enjoy the challenge.

Disappointed in my dealings with Pilkington Classic.

Don

Last edited by dharris45; 10-14-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:08 PM
slalomfiend
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Pilkington

I hope your glass arrives as nicely as you HOPE!

I too heard that their glass was the best in overall size and thickness which makes a huge difference with the correct windshield gasket. I've been told the Asian glass is thinner and doesn't fill the gasket correctly as well as sometimes not cut to the correct outside tolerances.

I ordered the w/s locally (so I'm not experiencing your delivery/customer service pain) and when the installer (best in the DFW area) took the plastic off the first w/s it was already beginning to edge delaminate. The air bubbles were at least 1/2" into the glass in a number of spots. This one took 3 weeks to get, had to ship from Ohio to AZ, then to Dallas - go figure.

W/S #2 took an additional 3 weeks and had indentations where the clamp was used to grab the glass from the oven too quickly. It was all down the right side and about 1.5" in from the edge so the gasket wouldn't cover it.

W/S #3 - again 3 weeks, was the way it should have been and fit very snug and correct.

I REALLY hope you get glass w/o the imperfections, especially since you have waited so long.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:10 PM
rccarson
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Sorry to hear of your bad experience with Pilkington. I also had a problem with one of their windshields for my 63. I find it interesting that they took your order since their website states that they have been out of stock on windshields for months. If and when you get your order you should immediately check to make sure the windshield will fit the car with gasket installed. I and one other forum member have had issues recently with their windshield being to large for the opening. I ended up getting windshield from Auto City and had no problems. The Auto City windshield was made in Mexico and was not the same manufacturer as Pilkington.
RC
Old 10-14-2016, 01:36 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Geez, all this talk about the problems with trying to get a proper windshield sorta freaks me out! I mean, windshields get cracked and broken around here all the time, especially with construction on the rise.

Other than rccarson who seems to have gotten the right glass, anyone else experience these same issues?

Gary

Last edited by Gary's '66; 10-15-2016 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:02 PM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Knowing what I know now, I would order from Auto City Classic. A friend got a convertible windshield from them, and it did have a label on the glass from a glass company in Thailand.

But he got it in a reasonable amount of time and it fit.

Unfortunately these companies have us by the short hairs. As far an I know they are the only two that are licensed to do the LOF logo and in fact I believe that Pilkington actually owns the LOF rights.

Don
Old 10-14-2016, 03:04 PM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by slalomfiend
I hope your glass arrives as nicely as you HOPE!

I too heard that their glass was the best in overall size and thickness which makes a huge difference with the correct windshield gasket. I've been told the Asian glass is thinner and doesn't fill the gasket correctly as well as sometimes not cut to the correct outside tolerances.

I ordered the w/s locally (so I'm not experiencing your delivery/customer service pain) and when the installer (best in the DFW area) took the plastic off the first w/s it was already beginning to edge delaminate. The air bubbles were at least 1/2" into the glass in a number of spots. This one took 3 weeks to get, had to ship from Ohio to AZ, then to Dallas - go figure.

W/S #2 took an additional 3 weeks and had indentations where the clamp was used to grab the glass from the oven too quickly. It was all down the right side and about 1.5" in from the edge so the gasket wouldn't cover it.

W/S #3 - again 3 weeks, was the way it should have been and fit very snug and correct.

I REALLY hope you get glass w/o the imperfections, especially since you have waited so long.

Did your come from Pilkington? If so, I'm getting even more discouraged. If and when I get my glass, and if it is incorrect!!!!!!

Don

Last edited by dharris45; 10-14-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:33 PM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

So now the rep from Pilkington says they are going to re-do new glass for me and have it to me in quickly, i.e. he said it would not take 2 to 3 weeks!!!!!

This guy is really not very cordial. When he called back he said they decided to just re-do my order and that it would not take 2 to 3 weeks. (What does that statement mean?). So I politely asked so it isn't going to take another 12 to 13 weeks. His response was "I though I just said it wouldn't take 2 to 3 weeks".

Maybe I'm getting dense in my old age, but I would have though a proper statement to begin with was that we will have it to you in 3 weeks or less.

I'm not going to hold my breath on this, nor expect any follow up from him.

Don
Old 10-14-2016, 05:30 PM
arubajohn
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am following this post with great interest. As I type this, I am waiting for my glass installer to get to the shop to install the windshield i picked up at the Pilkington depot earlier this week. Hopefully there won't be any issues with it. More interesting is that I was told by the classics rep that the rear window is on back order and will be for at least another month or two.I was given that news a month ago when I ordered the windshield and was told they still don't have a release date when I called today.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:32 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

I know this doesn't help you now but a month ago I ordered my rear window and windshield from Autocity on a Tuesday and I had it at my door in CT Friday afternoon. I didn't want any date coding so that saved time. Both fit very well and they look very nice.

Last edited by 4 Speed Dave; 10-14-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:48 PM
Texaspilot180
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I used Pilkington to replace the original windshield in my 65 coupe with a duplicated date code stamped etc. unit, and it arrived in less than 2 weeks, well packed, undamaged and fit properly when I installed it. Had no issues with them at all, but that was about 6 or so years ago and like most places, things always seem to change for the worse before they improve. Hope you get the glass soon, sounds like a miserable ordeal. Nothing worse than poor customer service, it's really not that hard.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:36 PM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by arubajohn
I am following this post with great interest. As I type this, I am waiting for my glass installer to get to the shop to install the windshield i picked up at the Pilkington depot earlier this week. Hopefully there won't be any issues with it. More interesting is that I was told by the classics rep that the rear window is on back order and will be for at least another month or two.I was given that news a month ago when I ordered the windshield and was told they still don't have a release date when I called today.
Did you order tinted? Mine was clear.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:06 PM
arubajohn
Intermediate

Mine is tinted. They wouldn't even take the order for the rear glass. The rep's name was Kurt and he told me he would continue to check on it and would let me know once it becomes available. He said the rear glass is made overseas and the production was likely being moved to Mexico and that's what was causing the delay. he stated the windshield is produced in Mexico

Last edited by arubajohn; 10-14-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:21 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Wow...what a nightmare! And then to top it off it sounds like the sales rep is a world class dick!

Hope you get it soon, and it's good the first time around.

Pat
Old 10-15-2016, 12:07 AM
Ausbrian
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I ordered my 63 rear glass from Auto City Classics, when it arrived one of the pieces was broken! Dealing with Fed Ex was useless, it was obvious that they had broken it. The box that the glass was in looked like it had been run over by a truck.Most they would pay up was $100, this would not even cover half the air freight to Australia! Auto City Classics sent me out a new piece at no charge including the air freight. Great customer service, the glass was made in Thailand but I have no problem with the thickness or quality.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:56 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjsk
Wow...what a nightmare! And then to top it off it sounds like the sales rep is a world class dick!
Originally Posted by ptjsk
Hope you get it soon, and it's good the first time around.

Pat
With Pat and, if it were me, I'd have gone over his head to his supervisor long ago!

As a retired 30 year business owner, I would always welcome any feedback from a disgruntled customer, provided they had a "legitimate" beef. I say that because some people ARE truly unreasonable. However, that certainly does not seem to be the case here whatsoever.

Many times management has no idea of the type of service their clientele is receiving................unless it's reported. My .02

Keep us posted and good luck.

Gary
Old 10-15-2016, 08:48 AM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Mine is tinted. They wouldn't even take the order for the rear glass. The rep's name was Kurt and he told me he would continue to check on it and would let me know once it becomes available. He said the rear glass is made overseas and the production was likely being moved to Mexico and that's what was causing the delay. he stated the windshield is produced in Mexico
Well good luck. Kurt is also the rep I have been dealing with. I've not had any luck depending on him to follow up. If it were me, I would not rely on him to follow up with you. You may want to check back with him periodically.

Don
Old 10-15-2016, 08:59 AM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Given the response regarding Auto City Classic, if I do not have my glass from Pilkington within the 3 week time frame he said, I'm asking for a refund on my credit card and will call Auto City Classic.

Get notified of new replies

To Pilkington Classic Glass - disappointing

Old 10-27-2016, 10:00 PM
arubajohn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dharris45
Well good luck. Kurt is also the rep I have been dealing with. I've not had any luck depending on him to follow up. If it were me, I would not rely on him to follow up with you. You may want to check back with him periodically.

Don
I decided to give them a call yesterday just to check in. To my surprise the rear glass was in stock. They had gotten 4 in about a week ago. I had him physically inspect the glass for clamp marks and clouds which he said the glass did not have. So glad I called.I didn't bother to address the fact that I wasn't notified. I would have been pretty annoyed had they gone back on back-order though. Now we wait and see.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:58 AM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

I decided to give them a call yesterday just to check in. To my surprise the rear glass was in stock. They had gotten 4 in about a week ago. I had him physically inspect the glass for clamp marks and clouds which he said the glass did not have. So glad I called.I didn't bother to address the fact that I wasn't notified. I would have been pretty annoyed had they gone back on back-order though. Now we wait and see.
Good for you. And he said he would notify you. My experience is they, or at least Kurt, provides little to no follow up when he has said he will.

I called him on Wednesday just to make sure I was goiny to get my glass the end of next week, which would be three weeks as he had promised. I still don't have much confidence.

I also asked about my 'lost' glass. He said they have 93 service centers and it would likely be at one of those, and he was surprised he hadn't gotten a call. I really don't understand how you loose a full set of coupe glass, windshield, back glass, two door and vent window glass.

Don
Old 11-11-2016, 02:25 PM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

OK, here's an update - I again got no updates from Kurt or Pilkington. So I called on Wednesday of this Monday (November 7th). Kurt check and did confirm my order had shipped on the prior Thursday (November 3). So it was produced one day short of 3 weeks (he had promised my re-made glass in 2 to 3 weeks).

I asked to again verify that the service center in Baltimore would call me ASAP upon receipt of the glass. He said yes. He said he put a big note on the carton to make sure they called me on my cell phone.

I called him again on Wednesday and he said he would check. He called me back on Thursday and said it was there (note: when I went to pick it up they said they got it Wednesday).

So I go to pick it up today, Friday, all there and looks good. Wait a minute!!!!

The Windshield and Back Glass have the wrong date codes!!!!!! I immediately called Kurt back. He was at least apologetic. Looked at my order and agreed that my instruction were very clear about logo and dating, not sure what happened.

So now 4 weeks after I was promised my glass in 2 to 3 weeks, I'm again waiting for corrected windshield and back glass.

The only consolation is that the vent and window glass does look good. Now hoping it fits11

Last edited by dharris45; 11-11-2016 at 02:27 PM.