C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 Crossfire Renegade Manifold Dynoed

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 09:59 PM
rorrapalooza
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 84 Crossfire Renegade Manifold Dynoed

Hi all

Never seen a renegade manifold dynoed before, so here it is!

84 Corvette with Renegade manifold, 1.6 comp magnum roller rockers, DUI Performance Distributor, chip, 8 degrees static advance, Walker Y-pipe and Flowmaster mufflers

198 hp and 275 lb-ft at the wheels
assuming an 18% driveline loss, it looks like 242 hp and 335 lb-ft at the flywheel... not too shabby

could probably have used some more static timing. gonna try 10 degrees this weekend

stock 84 fuel pump, injectors and fuel pressure... the dyno tech said A/F ratio was perfect up until 5100 rpm and then it leaned out just a touch

Last edited by rorrapalooza; 10-19-2016 at 11:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zachaeous (10-16-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 10:04 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Awesome! I love that you posted real results!!

Originally Posted by rorrapalooza
could probably have used some more static timing. gonna try 10 degrees this weekend
Giv'er more and see how it likes it.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:59 PM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

nice !
Old 10-16-2016, 05:21 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Does 18% HP gain in a manifold sound logical? +37 HP over stock?
Old 10-16-2016, 09:19 AM
rorrapalooza
Advanced

Im sure 2-3 of those hp were due to the other mods, probably the Y-pipe specifically, but Id wager the manifold is 90% responsible. Comparing it to the stock CFI manifold its pretty clear that the GM engineers were making some not-totaly-perfomance-oriented choices. The ports on the renegade probably have close to twice the area. The really amazing part to me wasnt just the 37 hp gain, but that it can make over 180 rwhp from 3400 to 5100 rpm when the old one fell flat after 3800 or so.

E: Just remembered this motor has 1.6 roller rockers too. So probably 6% or so of the increase is due to the rockers, but it still never could run to such a high rpm without the manifold

Last edited by rorrapalooza; 10-16-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:09 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
It may have been combined with a few other things, but have you seen the stock intake? If you had...you might be more inclined to believe the results.

A CFI engine with a different, or heavily ported intake = a stock late TPI engine. The stock CFI intake is that bad.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:10 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

WOW that is pretty evil looking.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:57 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

I don't know WHAT they were thinking!
Old 10-16-2016, 10:17 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

Nice and thanks for posting your dyno numbers. I have a question though. What did your A/F ratio look like on the high end WOT and how did it look all the way up? Was it going lean or dropping off? What FP are you running? I'd give it a bit more timing and see how it likes it. 198 at the wheels isn't bad at all for a relatively stock CF. I think 18% is maybe a tad high, but well within reason. Still not bad. Do you have a before, that would be the real test of gains. Also, do you have a way to monitor your FP while on the dyno? It would be interesting to see what the pressure was doing on high end. If it was dropping, so is your power, but you will also see that in the A/F going lean.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 10-16-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:58 PM
rorrapalooza
Advanced

Buccaneer,

The dyno tech showed me the numbers, but unfortunately I didnt have the presence of mind to ask for a copy. I can tell you though that he remarked that the A/F ratio was "perfect" up to 5200. After that, he said it leaned out just slightly, not much though.

The fuel pressure is stock, never been touched, or checked, but I'd guess its around 12 psi given how well it ran. The fuel pump has been replaced, but it was with an 84 pump. Could be the replacement pump actually moves a little more fuel? maybe the hypertech chip helped?

a fuel pressure gauge was on the list of things to get if it leaned out on the dyno, maybe ill get one anyway though.

sadly no before dyno, its always been a strong puller but way stronger now.

Anyway, weren't you one of the guys involved with DCS?
This was actually one of the very first renegades shipped. Serial number 26!
sat around for the better part of a decade. Beautiful work.
My only complaint is that the hardware for the lid was a little short, but maybe thats my fault since I made my own gasket instead of using rtv.

I was thinking sometime soon I would try to drop in a hydraulic roller cam, maybe comp's extreme fuel injection 252, some AFR 180 cc heads with a compression ratio of 9.5:1 and a good set of headers, maybe even the ARH true dual system if I could stomach the price.
problem is, seems I'd probably have to get a totally different ECM to run that, and as far as I know DCS's HAM board isnt available anymore...

Any suggestion for how I could still run a similar set up?
Old 10-16-2016, 11:01 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

the dyno tech said A/F ratio was perfect up until 5100 rpm and then it leaned out just a touch
I agree with Buccaneer about more timing and watching fuel pressure. however, if your A/F ratio didn't drop until 5100, your power was already on the way down. I'd blame it on the exhaust (mostly).
Old 10-16-2016, 11:33 PM
rorrapalooza
Advanced

Unfortunately didn't find the time to play with the timing this weekend, but once I do, ill make sure to keep trying more till it pings. I've heard 12 degrees works nicely.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:13 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...

Buccaneer,

The dyno tech showed me the numbers, but unfortunately I didnt have the presence of mind to ask for a copy. I can tell you though that he remarked that the A/F ratio was "perfect" up to 5200. After that, he said it leaned out just slightly, not much though.

The fuel pressure is stock, never been touched, or checked, but I'd guess its around 12 psi given how well it ran. The fuel pump has been replaced, but it was with an 84 pump. Could be the replacement pump actually moves a little more fuel? maybe the hypertech chip helped?

a fuel pressure gauge was on the list of things to get if it leaned out on the dyno, maybe ill get one anyway though.

sadly no before dyno, its always been a strong puller but way stronger now.

Anyway, weren't you one of the guys involved with DCS?
This was actually one of the very first renegades shipped. Serial number 26!
sat around for the better part of a decade. Beautiful work.
My only complaint is that the hardware for the lid was a little short, but maybe thats my fault since I made my own gasket instead of using rtv.

I was thinking sometime soon I would try to drop in a hydraulic roller cam, maybe comp's extreme fuel injection 252, some AFR 180 cc heads with a compression ratio of 9.5:1 and a good set of headers, maybe even the ARH true dual system if I could stomach the price.
problem is, seems I'd probably have to get a totally different ECM to run that, and as far as I know DCS's HAM board isnt available anymore...

Any suggestion for how I could still run a similar set up?
Yep, one of the owners of DCS and thanks for your support, a lot of work went into that manifold. OK, too bad you didn't get a "before" pull. If you never checked the FP even after the pump change, I would do that so you know where it is, it may be on the edge and maybe adjust it just a tad more and be good. It should pull all the way to 5,500. Just a suggestion.

If you made your own gasket which isn't a bad thing, you may have run into issues with the top plate screws depending on gasket thickness, we only use sealant which works fine, just never use "the right stuff" black on the top plate unless you never want to remove it. As far as a HAM board is concerned, I have plenty of boards if you need one. Send me a PM when the time comes.

Good luck on future mods.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 10-17-2016 at 12:16 AM.
rorrapalooza (10-17-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 11:55 AM
rorrapalooza
Advanced

drives pretty nice with the timing dialed in

cant wait to get the fuel pressure set up right too.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:24 PM
tpi1986
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Not that it matters for power, but always thought the crossfire looked cool. Reminds me of the old cross ram intakes. Think thats what they were called.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:01 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIdjL4lPvog

drives pretty nice with the timing dialed in

cant wait to get the fuel pressure set up right too.
Sounds good and also sounds like it is pulling the entire way kind of, but it also appears that you cut it short? With just the dyno sheet to go by and it is a bit blurry to tell, it looks like you are going lean after about 4,200. You don't show the A/F so it makes it hard to tell, but the power curve kind of shows that by dropping off a lot after 4,200. To me, that is indicative of low FP or lower than it needs, that's why the A/F is so important to see. If this is true (lean), once adjusted it should pull all the way to 5,700 with no problem and not drop off...

Last edited by Buccaneer; 10-19-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:29 PM
rorrapalooza
Advanced

Why do you think im ordering the FP assembly

the throttle was cut at 5400 rpm. I posted a scan of the dyno sheet at the top of the thread to make it a little more clear.

as far as sound goes, I found that flowmasters + a walker Y-pipe with crossover made for good exhaust note with minimal drone. Im thinking im gonna invest in the ARH true dual system next, mated up to the flowmasters... may be a bit louder.

Get notified of new replies

To 84 Crossfire Renegade Manifold Dynoed

Old 10-19-2016, 11:36 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Why do you think im ordering the FP assembly

the throttle was cut at 5400 rpm. I posted a scan of the dyno sheet at the top of the thread to make it a little more clear.

as far as sound goes, I found that flowmasters + a walker Y-pipe with crossover made for good exhaust note with minimal drone. Im thinking im gonna invest in the ARH true dual system next, mated up to the flowmasters... may be a bit louder.
Gotcha! Hopefully you saw my PM reply.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:37 PM
rorrapalooza
Advanced

The interesting thing to me is the big dip in tq and hp at 4200 rpm on the first pull, then moves up by 200 rpm and is less severe on the second pull, and then moves up farther and is much less severe on the 3rd

The dyno tech said it was probably just some sort of anomaly in the timing or something, but honestly its probably the first time this block has been revved past 4,200 since 1988. Could be something freeing itself up... the injectors cleaning themselves from flowing that much or something...
Old 10-19-2016, 11:46 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

The interesting thing to me is the big dip in tq and hp at 4200 rpm on the first pull, then moves up by 200 rpm and is less severe on the second pull, and then moves up farther and is much less severe on the 3rd

The dyno tech said it was probably just some sort of anomaly in the timing or something, but honestly its probably the first time this block has been revved past 4,200 since 1988. Could be something freeing itself up... the injectors cleaning themselves from flowing that much or something...
Once you get the FPA on it and verify the FP is set where it needs to be, you need to watch the gauge while on the dyno. If it starts dropping FP after 4,200, the pump can not support the flow demand. If that is the case, replace with 87 vette pump and leave the FP where it was set before the replacement. Car will run like a different motor. Also check the pump filter and inline fuel filter on the frame rail.
rorrapalooza (10-19-2016)

Quick Reply: 84 Crossfire Renegade Manifold Dynoed