Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coil-over questions

Old 10-16-2016, 06:43 PM
Noveske
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default coil-over questions

So they are better than the stock leaf springs, by allowing individual wheel control, correct? I was looking at the QA1 setup with 550lb springs. 550lb means 550lbs per inch of compression? Is this setup lighter than the stock leaf? My car is a 2012 GS, 6 speed manual. Any issues with mostly street use, with occasional autocrossing?
Any suggestions as to 450, 550, 650lbs springs?
Am I missing anything? Should I just keep the leaf? I know lots about engines, and nothing about suspension......

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:27 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 331 Posts

What are your plans for the car?
Old 10-16-2016, 09:32 PM
Noveske
Advanced

Originally Posted by c5racr1
What are your plans for the car?
mostly corner carving on the street, possibly autocross later next year
Old 10-16-2016, 09:37 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 331 Posts

For street and autocross I would stay on leaf springs and get good shocks. I went from zo6 springs to t1 springs to lg g2 coilovers. I put aero on mine so it's not apples to apples. But I liked the t1 springs with t1 shocks
Old 10-17-2016, 11:24 AM
Matt_27
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Noveske
So they are better than the stock leaf springs, by allowing individual wheel control, correct?
Nope. The leaf springs work exactly the same as coils, individual wheel control is not an issue. I would stay far away from QA1 parts for any sort of performance driving. Koni shocks and stock leaf springs will work much better for you. A larger front sway bar is also a good idea. Those parts and a good set of tires is all you need for some quality autocrossing.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:00 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Noveske
So they are better than the stock leaf springs, by allowing individual wheel control, correct? I was looking at the QA1 setup with 550lb springs. 550lb means 550lbs per inch of compression? Is this setup lighter than the stock leaf? My car is a 2012 GS, 6 speed manual. Any issues with mostly street use, with occasional autocrossing?
Any suggestions as to 450, 550, 650lbs springs?
Am I missing anything? Should I just keep the leaf? I know lots about engines, and nothing about suspension......

Thanks in advance.
Ask Danny Popp, he is a big proponent of the leaf springs and is very fast.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:13 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Another vote for the leafs, if it's for street use. The only real reason I went coilovers vs leafs on my race car was to make things easier for the dry sump install.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:04 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Bilstein shocks retaining the leafs will feel significantly better. Coilovers just not necessary for the street.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:49 PM
Noveske
Advanced

Thanks for all the replies. Bilsteins it is.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:50 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts
Default same cost?

Guys, I just got new T1 bars today (1/2 price), so was looking into T1 springs and shocks. LG sells their coilovers for about the same as the T1 leafs and shocks, it seems. Looked and can't find used T1 stuff anywhere. If the cost turns out to be the same for shocks & springs, go LG coilovers? One concern is that I'm close enough to Phoenix, so would get them to set it up, and they're proven experts with the T1 package.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:00 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_27
Nope. The leaf springs work exactly the same as coils, individual wheel control is not an issue. I would stay far away from QA1 parts for any sort of performance driving. Koni shocks and stock leaf springs will work much better for you. A larger front sway bar is also a good idea. Those parts and a good set of tires is all you need for some quality autocrossing.
Agree on all of this. My cars, Koni and a Strano 33mm front bar. Leaf springs are actually quite good. Light and offer roll control vs. a coil spring of like wheel rate.

Depending on the model car would likely recommend an upgrade on springs to Hyperco Track front, maybe a track or sport rear (stock might be fine too). But ONLY after you run good shocks and a well chosen sway bar setup to see if you need to bother.

This is the kind of thing I do all day, every day and I'm happy to discuss options with you. I have various things available. KW, MCS, JRZ, Ridetech, QA1 and Viking on the "coil-over" side. Koni, Bilstein, Ridetech on the shock side. I have a lot of sway bar options, including ones I do to my specification. Aside from Strano bars, I have Hotchkis, Pfadt, Eibach, etc.
814-849-3450

More options than any other single company out there. More parts than any other single company I know: Brakes to Safety, Wheels to Exhaust. Suspension to Air Filters: Girodisc, Hawk, Raybestos, Essex Racing/AP, Ferodo, Wilwood, Penske, Koni, Borg Motorsport, Ridetech, Viking, After Dark Speed, Hotchkis, Bilstein, KW, Forgestar, BC Forged, Forgeline, MRR Wheels and on, and on, and on it goes.

The following users liked this post:
Hole-Shot (11-09-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 09:02 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Should also mention.. I also for a while had a '12 GS myself. And it has a particularly soft front spring/bar combination when compared to the rear. So a front spring change along WITH a front bar change is a good idea if not saddled by rules that keep you from that. If you look to autocross in an SCCA A-Street or SSR class you can't change the front spring legally, and for those cars in particular we offer a bar for just that purpose to help the soft front spring.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:45 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Listen to Sam.. He will get you a national level class setup without you having to try to tune it all by yourself.

Unless someone is really experienced in setting up a car and knows what they are doing they are most likely just to make a mess of it and then you'll end up with a car that is not only slow, but it's hard to drive and you'll develop bad habits trying to drive around what is a poor handling car in the first place.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:51 AM
zrtman1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a base C5 with 120k on suspension.. went with LG G2 because I needed shocks and wanted springs for future hpde days. Using the C6 Z51 sways. LG specs them for what your looking to do with them - they are not off the shelf - they are built to order. Biggest thing for me is if I want to do something different in the future I can have them re valved and change spring rates if needed. I think I am running a 800 front spring but it rides pretty decent and is fun at VIR and CMP. Rides wayyy better than my old C4 with Z07 package. Bolt on and go - no thinking. Lg is very good if you have questions...
Old 10-22-2016, 12:01 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I've had good service out of QA1 shocks. I have ran the double adjustables on my C4 for 3yrs without issue.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:40 AM
SargeZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Agree on all of this. My cars, Koni and a Strano 33mm front bar. Leaf springs are actually quite good. Light and offer roll control vs. a coil spring of like wheel rate.

Depending on the model car would likely recommend an upgrade on springs to Hyperco Track front, maybe a track or sport rear (stock might be fine too). But ONLY after you run good shocks and a well chosen sway bar setup to see if you need to bother.

This is the kind of thing I do all day, every day and I'm happy to discuss options with you. I have various things available. KW, MCS, JRZ, Ridetech, QA1 and Viking on the "coil-over" side. Koni, Bilstein, Ridetech on the shock side. I have a lot of sway bar options, including ones I do to my specification. Aside from Strano bars, I have Hotchkis, Pfadt, Eibach, etc.
Sam

Whats a better upgrade for stock suspension? Bar or shocks?

Alignment is Fr:Camber -2.55, caster 6.58, Toe -.16. Rear: Camber -1.28, toe 0.28.

I drive the car at it's limit. I've talked to you a while back before this alignment about Bilsteins and you had me focus on the alignment. Car drives 100% better with these numbers.

Center to exit just starting to roll into throttle:

Old 10-26-2016, 03:23 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by apex26
Guys, I just got new T1 bars today (1/2 price), so was looking into T1 springs and shocks. LG sells their coilovers for about the same as the T1 leafs and shocks, it seems. Looked and can't find used T1 stuff anywhere. If the cost turns out to be the same for shocks & springs, go LG coilovers? One concern is that I'm close enough to Phoenix, so would get them to set it up, and they're proven experts with the T1 package.
Phoenix is a dealer of ours and I would imagine Joe would hook you up with both parts and install if you wanted them to.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:58 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Phoenix is a dealer of ours and I would imagine Joe would hook you up with both parts and install if you wanted them to.
That's good to know because Phoenix needs to corner balance and align it anyway.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:30 AM
conradb
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Definitely go with new dampers on leaf springs for your applications. I only just last month switched to aFe Johnny O'Connell coilovers for track work after working my way up over a year for road racing.

Might I recommend Doug Rippie's custom-valved Bilstein dampers? I actually have my old set if you're interested in buying them only ~6mo used. Send me a PM.

Get notified of new replies

To coil-over questions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: coil-over questions