C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Headers, Need Opinions Please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 09:06 AM
ssmike56
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts
Default SLP Headers, Need Opinions Please!

I'm looking to do headers and high flows for my '06 base LS2 this winter. I have a very tight budget and can't afford the likes of ARH, LG, Kooks, etc. After some research and price comparing I have found that the SLP 1 3/4" headers with high flows are close to being in my budget. I understand that they are 409 stainless instead of 304 but they do come with ceramic coating, which is a plus! Does anyone have an opinion good or bad about these headers? I will be installing them myself so any experience from someone who has installed them would be appreciated! Here's a link to what I found on a vendor's website. I don't endorse them just using it as a reference. http://marylandspeed.com/slp-1-34-lo...24-p-1238.html
Old 10-17-2016, 12:09 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmike56
I'm looking to do headers and high flows for my '06 base LS2 this winter. I have a very tight budget and can't afford the likes of ARH, LG, Kooks, etc. After some research and price comparing I have found that the SLP 1 3/4" headers with high flows are close to being in my budget. I understand that they are 409 stainless instead of 304 but they do come with ceramic coating, which is a plus! Does anyone have an opinion good or bad about these headers? I will be installing them myself so any experience from someone who has installed them would be appreciated! Here's a link to what I found on a vendor's website. I don't endorse them just using it as a reference. http://marylandspeed.com/slp-1-34-lo...24-p-1238.html
should be fine.if you want to save $550. consider the OBX
Old 10-17-2016, 12:15 PM
dbielicke
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

https://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-86...pes-black.aspx

I think this is what I am going to go with. The catted version is $1050, and they are coated!
The following users liked this post:
ssmike56 (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 12:18 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmike56
Go for it! 409 stainless steel is very high grade stuff...Stay away from the over priced ARH..
Old 10-17-2016, 01:45 PM
ssmike56
Pro

Originally Posted by dbielicke
https://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-86...pes-black.aspx

I think this is what I am going to go with. The catted version is $1050, and they are coated!
I like what I see here! Cheaper than SLP and the mid pipes are also coated!
Old 10-17-2016, 09:14 PM
SammyP
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the slp Zl465 packing with headers exhaust xpipe and intake. It sounds amazing and is fast. I dont have anything to comparenit to but it couldnt be happier. I did swap out the mufflers to magnaflows because it was really too Loud for me. Currently it sounds amazing.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:21 PM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

I have SLP headers and I'm happy with them. The coat is very durable, I installed them in my driveway, no sweat. The clamp that came with it sucked so I bought my own. Other than that, very straight forward. Looks good. Sounds good.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:04 PM
_05C6_
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts

Hinson is what I will go with when I pull the trigger.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:52 AM
dbielicke
Racer

Just saw on another thread, not sure if it's a big deal to some, but the hinson catted midpipe is an H-pipe. Not an X. Doesn't bother me, just thought I'd pass the information on. If anyone has an opinion on why X is better than H or vice versa, I would greatly appreciate you sharing. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2016, 09:12 AM
ssmike56
Pro

Just saw on another thread, not sure if it's a big deal to some, but the hinson catted midpipe is an H-pipe. Not an X. Doesn't bother me, just thought I'd pass the information on. If anyone has an opinion on why X is better than H or vice versa, I would greatly appreciate you sharing. Thanks!
I'd like to know too!
Old 10-18-2016, 11:06 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by RicardoFors68
I have SLP headers and I'm happy with them. The coat is very durable, I installed them in my driveway, no sweat. The clamp that came with it sucked so I bought my own. Other than that, very straight forward. Looks good. Sounds good.
ditto!
Old 10-18-2016, 12:37 PM
masoch
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was ready to link to Hinson but I see somebody beat me to it.

To solve the question about X vs H pipes ... https://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-86...es-silver.aspx

That should be exactly what you need.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:46 PM
dbielicke
Racer

Originally Posted by masoch
To solve the question about X vs H pipes ... https://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-86...es-silver.aspx

That should be exactly what you need.
Not sure if I am missing something here...or is this just a link to the same headers I linked earlier just silver instead of black? We were looking for a difference between H and X pipes. Please let me know if I'm looking at this wrong.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:27 PM
oAllElseFailo
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Don't mean to hijack your thread here but when companies are listing 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 - are they just listing the opening at the end of the headers? Or do some of them have a different size opening into the engine? I just can't tell which one would fit my car
Old 10-18-2016, 02:24 PM
dbielicke
Racer

Originally Posted by oAllElseFailo
Don't mean to hijack your thread here but when companies are listing 1 3/4 or 1 7/8
From my understanding, it is the diameter of the tubing coming from the motor. I think both work for the base model. I've seen 2 inch as an option before but I assume that is for the Z06 and ZR1 models. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:57 PM
ssmike56
Pro

From my understanding, it is the diameter of the tubing coming from the motor. I think both work for the base model. I've seen 2 inch as an option before but I assume that is for the Z06 and ZR1 models. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Stock LS2 or LS3 can use the 1 3/4" or 1 7/8" primaries. Cammed, or modified engines use 1 7/8", and big displacement, supercharged or highly modded use 2"
Old 10-18-2016, 04:23 PM
ssmike56
Pro

Just got off the phone with Hinson. He said that the catted mid section is an H because of physical limitations of space in the tunnel. Without the cats they were able to do an X pipe. I really don't understand the reasoning though because most other manufacturers utilize an X pipe with cats. He also said that he doubts anyone can notice the difference in sound between the X and H. Performance wise it's a wash between the two, maybe slight gain with no cats.
The following users liked this post:
dbielicke (10-18-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To SLP Headers, Need Opinions Please!

Old 10-18-2016, 04:28 PM
dbielicke
Racer

Thanks Mike! That's some solid detective work. I think The hinson setup with the cats is how I will roll when time comes. Seems like a great value for a quality product overall.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:31 PM
ssmike56
Pro

Thanks Mike! That's some solid detective work. I think The hinson setup with the cats is how I will roll when time comes. Seems like a great value for a quality product overall.
I agree!
Old 10-18-2016, 06:39 PM
09_BSM_Z51
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have SLP Headers to NPP mufflers. They are awesome, no trouble installing them. No heat related problems. You will need a tune, the dash light comes in within a few days if you have the rear O2 sensors on. The sound is vicious, the performance gain with tune and cold air intake was incredible. No loss anywhere in the rev range, only solid torque from 1800 on up. Extra torque makes the car easier to drive if you have a manual.

They do hang a tad low so keep tires inflated at right PSI and ride height stock so you don't scrape on driveways. I only barely scratched mine on a steep driveway when my tires were really low, so you might not even have an issue.

The clamps were on the weak side, but I made them work. I can vouch for SLP, I've bought several of their products for my F-body, now my C6. Never had anything but quality. Considering some of the expensive parts I've bought over the years, I found SLP to be a pleasant surprise.

Quick Reply: SLP Headers, Need Opinions Please!