C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long tube headers and original exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 02:08 PM
DDP
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Long tube headers and original exhaust

I'm sure this has been asked before but here goes.
What is involved in hooking up LG long tube headers on a 09 base LS3 to the original NPP exhaust?

Last edited by DDP; 10-20-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:04 PM
0Billy@MTI
Former Vendor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

If you are going with LG Headers, you will want to get their x-pipe to connect to your slip on exhaust.
The following users liked this post:
DDP (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 03:23 PM
DDP
Burning Brakes

I'll look into that
Old 10-20-2016, 06:35 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by DDP
I'll look into that
I have LG's and the original NPP exhaust ... they fit great and sound fantastic not to mention the power gain

Headers bolt right up but getting the cats , X pipe and mid pipes to line up was a challenge as they are all slip fit and real tight .

You have to take the mufflers down off the hangers

Start at the front and slide the cats on the headers , then slide the crossover pipe in place , then the mid pipes , make sure they are all lined up and straight , then slide your exhaust pipes in

After a few raps with a block of wood we got each pipe to where it needed to be and tightened the clamps up

After a few days we put it back up on the lift and fixed one leak , pipe was just not in far enough as it is a bit of a guessing game with all these slip joints , No leaks or rattles since

I would rather have a one piece catted crossover mid pipe design that bolts to the headers like Kooks but once you figure it all out it fits fine

Dave
The following users liked this post:
DDP (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 07:14 PM
stillspinnin
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
I have LG's and the original NPP exhaust ... they fit great and sound fantastic not to mention the power gain

Headers bolt right up but getting the cats , X pipe and mid pipes to line up was a challenge as they are all slip fit and real tight .

You have to take the mufflers down off the hangers

Start at the front and slide the cats on the headers , then slide the crossover pipe in place , then the mid pipes , make sure they are all lined up and straight , then slide your exhaust pipes in

After a few raps with a block of wood we got each pipe to where it needed to be and tightened the clamps up

After a few days we put it back up on the lift and fixed one leak , pipe was just not in far enough as it is a bit of a guessing game with all these slip joints , No leaks or rattles since

I would rather have a one piece catted crossover mid pipe design that bolts to the headers like Kooks but once you figure it all out it fits fine

Dave
What Dave said +1
Old 10-21-2016, 02:35 PM
DDP
Burning Brakes

So the headers will hook up to the original cats?
Old 10-21-2016, 02:42 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

No. Long tubes+x pipe will replace factory manifolds/cats/H or H pipe and connect to the factory axle back.

Last edited by schpenxel; 10-21-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:14 PM
DDP
Burning Brakes

Ok, so I have to buy a catted x-pipe to hook up the headers to the axle original exhaust.

I think I got it now.

Thanks all
Old 10-21-2016, 03:25 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Correct
Old 10-21-2016, 04:03 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DDP
Ok, so I have to buy a catted x-pipe to hook up the headers to the axle original exhaust.

I think I got it now.

Thanks all
It will all come in the "box"

headers , cats, cat delete pipe, crossover , mid pipes , oem gaskets, good quality clamps and O2 extensions ... one of the most complete kits and one of the best price

they fit great , sound fantastic

While there are a lot of great vendors , Look up Damian at Wild Vettes , a forum vendor , best price , good advice and fantastic customer service ..

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 10-21-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:11 PM
DDP
Burning Brakes

Thanks Dave, although the thing is I will be buying a set of used headers from another forum member up here in Canada and I was trying to figure out the least expensive way of hooking them up to my NPP exhaust. I thought I read somewhere that it could be done using the original cats as well.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:36 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DDP
Thanks Dave, although the thing is I will be buying a set of used headers from another forum member up here in Canada and I was trying to figure out the least expensive way of hooking them up to my NPP exhaust. I thought I read somewhere that it could be done using the original cats as well.

that might be more work than its worth , factory cats areb up next to the exhaust manifolds , you could cut the original pipes down by where the collector will be and somehow connect it to the header collector but you will loose the cats ... and you don't want to do that as you will get a heavy smell of gas .....even with my high flow cats I still get some raw gas smell when the cats are cold b

your best bet would be call LG and order just the cats , crossover ,midpipes ,clamps ,gaskets and O2 extentions

I am sure they would be happy to help out plus you can be assured of a nice rattle free good sounding exhaust

You will be happy with the outcome , it's one of the best mods I have done !

Don't forget to get a tune , mail-order or Dyno or it will not run its best and you will get a CEL if you don't tune the rear 02 sensors out . I installed my rear O2 sensors even though they are tuned out on the chance that I might get a "visual" inspection

Good luck and let us know how it works out
Dave
Old 10-21-2016, 07:39 PM
DDP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dcasole
that might be more work than its worth , factory cats areb up next to the exhaust manifolds , you could cut the original pipes down by where the collector will be and somehow connect it to the header collector but you will loose the cats ... and you don't want to do that as you will get a heavy smell of gas .....even with my high flow cats I still get some raw gas smell when the cats are cold b

your best bet would be call LG and order just the cats , crossover ,midpipes ,clamps ,gaskets and O2 extentions

I am sure they would be happy to help out plus you can be assured of a nice rattle free good sounding exhaust

You will be happy with the outcome , it's one of the best mods I have done !

Don't forget to get a tune , mail-order or Dyno or it will not run its best and you will get a CEL if you don't tune the rear 02 sensors out . I installed my rear O2 sensors even though they are tuned out on the chance that I might get a "visual" inspection

Good luck and let us know how it works out
Dave
Thanks Dave,
The next plan is to do it now or try to find the parts over the winter and make it an early spring project.

Get notified of new replies

To Long tube headers and original exhaust

Quick Reply: Long tube headers and original exhaust