C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Now I know why everyone....

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 04:11 PM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Now I know why everyone....

Can't say ONE bad word about their experience attending the COS @ Spring mountain motorsports. First class operation start to finish. Rick, Richie and all the other impressive, professional instructors treated me to a 2 day driving experience I will not soon forget. We think everyone we met in the program would echo our sentiments. My wife, who originally refused to join in on a ride along, changed her mind and was happy she got a taste of the experience. Personally, I was impressed on how they never pushed anyone and most importantly, repeatedly mentioned to HAVE FUN.
That is indeed what I did, in spades. My pace was as fast as I could do in the 2 day tack time. There was great flow and pace between the class room and actual seat time. I was fortunate enough to get paired up with only three other Z06 drivers and an instructor on the last four sessions.
Let's just say we didn't leave much in the tank in terms of effort and concentration. Although, one of the other drivers said he was an instructor in some other driving school. I could see why trying to chase him around the track for a couple of days. Lol. I found the constant radio feedback to be extremely helpful making better decisions the next time around the track. My only advice to someone considering this would be to definitely attend as you'll be happy that you did. Thank you SMMS

Last edited by chasboland; 10-20-2016 at 04:28 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by chasboland:
23/C8Z (10-22-2016), DigitalWidgets (10-20-2016), jbsblownc5 (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 04:15 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,558 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Sounds good. My wife and I are going in March. She is reluctant to go out on the track. I will show her your post. Looking forward to it.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:32 PM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by capevettes
Sounds good. My wife and I are going in March. She is reluctant to go out on the track. I will show her your post. Looking forward to it.
My wife was convinced she would be bored brought 2 books and didn't even look at them. She attended the classes and became friendly the other wives there. It actually worked out great for both of us. One good tip would be to ride on the first day when things are a bit slower. If she likes it she is welcome to do it on the second day as well, Albeit at a quicker pace.

Last edited by chasboland; 10-20-2016 at 04:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
capevettes (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 04:51 PM
coladin
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll be there end of November as can't wait!
Old 10-20-2016, 05:07 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I didn't take my wife to Spring Mountain, but I have taken her lapping locally. It's part of a "performance driving course" they offer here, sort of a one-day Spring Mountain with the ABS braking demos, all of that.

I also took my 16-year old son. I drove my Z06, my wife drove our M3, and my son our S8. It takes some courage to unleash your 16 year old on the track in a 500hp V10, but he did great. She also had a great time, and while I don't think she'll be secretly attending HDPE days on a regular basis, is glad she's done it to experience it.

It's one of those things that everyone should try at least once. And if Spring Mountain is the way you try it, all the better!

Last edited by davepl; 10-20-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:01 PM
coladin
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I didn't take my wife to Spring Mountain, but I have taken her lapping locally. It's part of a "performance driving course" they offer here, sort of a one-day Spring Mountain with the ABS braking demos, all of that.

I also took my 16-year old son. I drove my Z06, my wife drove our M3, and my son our S8. It takes some courage to unleash your 16 year old on the track in a 500hp V10, but he did great. She also had a great time, and while I don't think she'll be secretly attending HDPE days on a regular basis, is glad she's done it to experience it.

It's one of those things that everyone should try at least once. And if Spring Mountain is the way you try it, all the better!

Nice stable of cars! My son is 15...so no dice yet but what an experience, an education for him that helps young drivers understand cars and their limits
Old 10-20-2016, 06:04 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by coladin
Nice stable of cars! My son is 15...so no dice yet but what an experience, an education for him that helps young drivers understand cars and their limits
Even if you can't make it to an HDPE day, the whole "learn how to steer while under max ABS braking" is a great experience for new drivers. It's not intuitive that you can do that until you've practiced it a few times.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:13 PM
-Eric-
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chasboland
Can't say ONE bad word about their experience attending the COS @ Spring mountain motorsports. First class operation start to finish. Rick, Richie and all the other impressive, professional instructors treated me to a 2 day driving experience I will not soon forget. We think everyone we met in the program would echo our sentiments. My wife, who originally refused to join in on a ride along, changed her mind and was happy she got a taste of the experience. Personally, I was impressed on how they never pushed anyone and most importantly, repeatedly mentioned to HAVE FUN.
That is indeed what I did, in spades. My pace was as fast as I could do in the 2 day tack time. There was great flow and pace between the class room and actual seat time. I was fortunate enough to get paired up with only three other Z06 drivers and an instructor on the last four sessions.
Let's just say we didn't leave much in the tank in terms of effort and concentration. Although, one of the other drivers said he was an instructor in some other driving school. I could see why trying to chase him around the track for a couple of days. Lol. I found the constant radio feedback to be extremely helpful making better decisions the next time around the track. My only advice to someone considering this would be to definitely attend as you'll be happy that you did. Thank you SMMS
Hey, that's me. LOL. Yes, I would have to echo your sentiments. I've been teaching high-performance driving of every type imaginable full time for the last 10 years and the guys at Spring Mountain do a great job!

It's a really solid course with an excellent philosophy. Everything they put out squares with what I have learned about driving fast over the years and virtually mirrors what I teach, even though I have never met any of those guys until last week. I guess at a certain point, if you're doing it right you just sorta come to the same conclusions. The only problem is there are still a lot of people doing it wrong and plenty of them are teaching other people to do it that way as well.

My suggestion is: If you bought a new Corvette you would be foolish not to take advantage of the deal you get with the Corvette Owner's school. It's only $1000 and you get a night at the lodge and food. Do remember the school is baked into the price of the car. If you don't take advantage of it, you're wasting money. Not to mention, you own a fast car, wouldn't you like to know how to use it correctly?!?!?

PLUS IT'S A FREAKING BLAST
Old 10-20-2016, 08:49 PM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by -Eric-
Hey, that's me. LOL. Yes, I would have to echo your sentiments. I've been teaching high-performance driving of every type imaginable full time for the last 10 years and the guys at Spring Mountain do a great job!

It's a really solid course with an excellent philosophy. Everything they put out squares with what I have learned about driving fast over the years and virtually mirrors what I teach, even though I have never met any of those guys until last week. I guess at a certain point, if you're doing it right you just sorta come to the same conclusions. The only problem is there are still a lot of people doing it wrong and plenty of them are teaching other people to do it that way as well.

My suggestion is: If you bought a new Corvette you would be foolish not to take advantage of the deal you get with the Corvette Owner's school. It's only $1000 and you get a night at the lodge and food. Do remember the school is baked into the price of the car. If you don't take advantage of it, you're wasting money. Not to mention, you own a fast car, wouldn't you like to know how to use it correctly?!?!?

PLUS IT'S A FREAKING BLAST
Hey Eric, It's funny meeting you here. Lol
Again, it was a pleasure attending the school with you at the same time. I agree with everything you mentioned above and it's nice to hear your comments. Although this is my first school and I have nothing to compare it t, it's nice to hear from somebody in the know how good it is.
I don't think I mentioned it to you but follow you from turn to to turn three a rock got kicked up and cracked my windshield. I showed it to Brian who seemed a little bit surprised but oh well that's that's going to happen at those speeds. Anyways, a freaking blast is an understatement.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:17 PM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

I wish the coupon would have been honored somewhere for us folks in the northeast area of the US I would love to attend one of these. I drive my Z06 like a chicken, but would like to know its true capabilities (on a track of course so I don't endanger anyone on the public roads)
Old 10-20-2016, 09:35 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

There is no issue coming from the NE, just jump on a plane to Vegas and rent a car. As the others have said, $1000 for the school is a bargain.

Originally Posted by Z06NJ
I wish the coupon would have been honored somewhere for us folks in the northeast area of the US I would love to attend one of these. I drive my Z06 like a chicken, but would like to know its true capabilities (on a track of course so I don't endanger anyone on the public roads)
Old 10-20-2016, 09:59 PM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Oh, I thought u needed to bring your own car! If not, then I might consider it in the Spring time!!
Old 10-20-2016, 10:15 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

No, you drive their cars. That is what makes it a real bargain. Their tires, their gas, their wear and tear.

Originally Posted by Z06NJ
Oh, I thought u needed to bring your own car! If not, then I might consider it in the Spring time!!
The following users liked this post:
Z06NJ (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 10:31 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
No, you drive their cars. That is what makes it a real bargain. Their tires, their gas, their wear and tear.
Very cool, I've been to that track a few times in my supercharged C5, and will plan on taking advantage of the school!!

They are a GREAT group of people there, and an outstanding track!
Old 10-20-2016, 10:56 PM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Now I will definitely have to plan a trip for "Spring Break"
Old 10-20-2016, 11:58 PM
wonka12_98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

My class is next Wednesday and Thursday (26-27th). Is anyone else here going on those dates?
Old 10-21-2016, 12:04 AM
SANMAN
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same same, two of my friends from afar SteveS Colorado, TonyR Florida, and myself MarkL OrangeCounty, all bought new ZO6s. After almost a year in seat we got to cut loose on someone else's rubber.

Over the 2 days the mix of class and stick was well balanced. By the middle of the second day you are slinging the car across the track and chicanes. Thinking you may soon skid out, as the Gs rise. Then the big surprise. The instructors take me for a ride at said to be 80% of what the car can do. I now know what the console handle is for as I held left hand there, death grip hanging on the door handle too. All fine, lot of sweat but fine, until.....
Until we come up on another ZO6 and I can now see the tires almost lifting in corners across chicanes. That's what our car was doing too. I almost puked. I thought for sure we'd be in the gravel (that's big No No) just at the edge if the tire grip. I had to gaze out the side window to get my tongue back.

Yes the instructors were great and well balanced. But my bigger surprise was how much farther the car can go. Would not have know had this class, car, track, and excellent instructors not been present.
When we buy these cars we aren't that hard on tires n brakes, but you can be.

Great experience and NOT to be missed. Do not miss your chance with new cars.

Chevrolet Sales could do themselves a favor and allow C7 owners a lap in the ZO6 they didn't choose. I predict many would trade up as they can't test drive the ZO6 without buying it, across the US.

Get notified of new replies

To Now I know why everyone....

Old 10-21-2016, 02:54 AM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

I got in on the 5-6 November class and can't wait.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:18 AM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Sanman, was the instructor driving a C7 A8 or they let you drive a manual transmission?
Old 10-21-2016, 10:24 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Spring Mountain is an absolute must. It's first class all the way and the cost, a thousand bucks, are you kidding me? If you have chosen not to do it, you definitely cheated yourself out of a fantastic experience.

Quick Reply: Now I know why everyone....