C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quarter panel gap near windshield normal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 08:46 PM
Masonwader
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Quarter panel gap near windshield normal?

Hey ya'll.

Are the photos below normal alignment? Ignore the hood because it's not closed.

The black is a garbage bag (I pulled apart the door to fix power window) The door is shut and seen as the lower part. The quarter panel is the top part.

The door seen highest above is shut. There is a large gap between the tail of the quarter panel and the windshield.

Attempting to look down the windshield onto the gap. It's less obvious but present.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:13 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Step back about ten feet and take pics. It's somewhat difficult to see what you have in your close ups.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:28 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Mason,
During 68-72 production the end of the fender that abuts the windshield had a piece of trim mounted on it. This piece of trim matched the trim on the wiper bay door that 68-72 cars had which 'hid' the wipers.
For 73+ production the hidden wipers were done away with and the HOOD extended to the windshield as did the FENDERS.
This change made this area of the car a bit easier and cheaper for Chevrolet to build.
Just how well the body was assembled and whether or not the front clip has had body work done on it will determine the amount of gap seen in the area you show in your photos.
If the fit is good and the gap is consistent between the hood and fenders and doors (with the hood and doors closed) then you're probably looking at an original fit 'build tolerance'.
Regards,
Alan

The concealed wipers were considered pretty neat back when they were part of 68-72 cars.

Last edited by Alan 71; 10-21-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:54 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

As Alan mentioned.... once you get the trim piece on, that gap will close up a little. There is a gap on my 71, but not enough to get your finger into. In the photos below, you can see a bit of a gap. With the trim piece removed, that gap is wider. (Also note I have not yet adjusted the gaps between the wiper door, cowl vent, and hood),
What I noticed most in your photos was the second one, which makes it look like the quarter panel sticks out farther than the door? I`d think these should line up a little better.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:01 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi GTO,
Mason's car is later… no trim pieces on hood or fenders!
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-21-2016, 08:12 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi GTO,
Mason's car is later… no trim pieces on hood or fenders!
Regards,
Alan
Oh, OK. Then I`m assuming that gap (without trim pieces) would still be similar to previous years.... about an inch off the glass?
Old 10-22-2016, 03:08 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

The gap on the passenger-side fender of my project looks mis-aligned like his/O.P.'s car.

On the driver-side of my car the gap alignment is even, smooth, and flush with the door.

The previous owner installed a different year clip and must have had a few beers too many when he bonded the passenger-side in place on my project

Rookie Question about O.P.'s car: Does the top front edge of the door need to be adjusted away from the windshield trim before he repairs the un-aligned fender edge?

Last edited by doorgunner; 10-22-2016 at 03:18 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:31 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi D,
There certainly seems to be something going on with the door/fender fit on the passenger's side.
Without seeing the entire door and its fit at the other 3 corners, it's difficult to say what's causing that poor gap/alignment at fender top/rear.
Perhaps the door's top hinge needs to have a couple of shims to move it out away from the a-pillar??
???
Regards,
Alan
The following users liked this post:
doorgunner (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 09:01 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...There certainly seems to be something going on with the door/fender fit on the passenger's side...
I agree, just wish we could see a little better.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 10-23-2016 at 08:47 AM.
doorgunner (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 08:41 PM
Masonwader
Advanced

Thank you all for your advice. I spent my day under the hood and tearing the pistons out of my leaky brake caliper. I will post better photos tomorrow. The ones above were taken from an iphone while the sun was going down before the mosquitoes could get to me. I have a better camera up to the task.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:29 PM
slofut
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Looks similar to mine, result of a PO attaching a fender or front clip and not lining things up well. It's glued in place as it is and will take some fiberglass finesse to make it any better.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:22 PM
Bally
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Although I'm not sure the info I'm about to pass along is 100% accurate, here goes anyhow:

It was once explained to me that because rubber body mounts were used starting in 1973 (1968-'72 have metal mounts), compression of the mounts can and often does occur over time causing some '73 and up car's noses to droop slightly. Noticeably wider gaps are a result of this, supposedly.

8 years ago I briefly had an 80,000 mile '79, and it definitely had wider gaps in this area than what I'd like to have seen. Otherwise it was a very nice car.

Last edited by Bally; 10-23-2016 at 01:51 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:58 AM
Masonwader
Advanced

Here are some photos taken this morning. I tried to back out more so you can see what you're looking at. Also, better camera.

The hood and door are closed. When I look down in the gap along the windshield I can see what appears to be molding that should have gone under the windshield (at least from appearance).

Shown from a more front approach. The quarter panel here is raised up. There is gap between where I think it should sit and where it is.

The hood lines up nicely with the fender. I think the door is well aligned, but again that quarter seems to be sticking up.

Driver side view of quarter panel where it meets the windshield. There is some separation of things here... There is a similar appearance on passenger side which has the worse appearance.

Into the gap on passenger side.

It may not be super obvious on these pictures but the hood has a much larger gap on the driver's side than the passenger.

The smaller gap on passenger side. Compare with picture above.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:18 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Mason,
I think member DUB can give you the best advice on how to deal with what your photos show.
To me it looks like a combination of how the right upper rear corner of the hood surround and fender are bonded (or not bonded) to the cowl structure and how the upper hinge on the door is shimmed.
To my eye it appears the cowl structure is holding the clip out.
It it possible that the bond between the clip and cowl has failed and that's what's contributing the poor fit?
???
Regards,
Alan

The hood fit needs adjustment too. What is the hood to surround gap like across the front of the hood?
The tight right gap and wide left gap can be remedied, but the clip corner needs to be dealt with first.

Last edited by Alan 71; 10-23-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Masonwader (10-23-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 12:30 PM
Masonwader
Advanced

Hi Mason,
I think member DUB can give you the best advice on how to deal with what your photos show.
To me it looks like a combination of how the right upper rear corner of the hood surround and fender are bonded (or not bonded) to the cowl structure and how the upper hinge on the door is shimmed.
To my eye it appears the cowl structure is holding the clip out.
It it possible that the bond between the clip and cowl has failed and that's what's contributing the poor fit?
???
Regards,
Alan

The hood fit needs adjustment too. What is the hood to surround gap like across the front of the hood?
The tight right gap and wide left gap can be remedied, but the clip corner needs to be dealt with first.
I think you described what I was trying to show with these photos. The clip is not properly seated onto the cowl. I can gently push the clip back down onto the cowl (which removes the gap), but it almost appears like some work may have been done in the area and the cowl is too thick. I wish I could get a photo of the area, but it's such a small space that I have trouble getting a lens to focus the area. I may play with it some later this week.

You suggest that I talk to DUB? I'll look up the member.
I assume I need to re-seat the clip right? I've been pricing body mount hardware since it appears that the rubber on the entire car is rotten.
I'm going to do it myself if at all. I've been taking lots of pictures of all the work I'm doing. Going to start a new thread soon since I know ya'll like rebuild threads.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:41 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Mason,
Member DUB visits almost every day in the late afternoon and/or early evening.
If he doesn't happen to see your thread today you might want to send him a pm. His screen name is simply DUB.
I really think he'll be able to help you through this!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 10-23-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I got your PM.

I looked at your photos and Alan was correct in his assumption on the problem.

From my experiences in seeing this problem...which I have seen MANY TIMES...I would bet that the gusset that is bonded and also pop riveted to the cowl has let loose.

This problem occurred in one of a couple ways. The front end has been damaged in a front end collision and stressed the three rivets and they finally let loose...OR...in the past the car was jacked up incorrectly and allowed to sit in that manner and stress at this gusset and rivets final gave way....OR the car is a northern car where the cowl/birdcage area is badly rusted and the rivets just pulled out due to the steel is gone.

This repair will require the front clip to come off. that is what I would do becasue I do not cut a perfect good panel so I can repair something easier....and then have to deal with a bonding seam in an area where there was one not originally installed. If you choose to hack and dice into your car...that is totally your decision.

I will not pass judgement on you....and I can help you in repairing that cut panel if you choose to do that....BUT...I WILL NOT be responsible if you have problems in your repair area. Let that be clearly understood.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Quarter panel gap near windshield normal?

Old 10-23-2016, 06:28 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Mason,
I believe this is an example of the kind of fiberglass cut that DUB explained should be avoided.
Regards,
Alan

Old 10-23-2016, 06:42 PM
Masonwader
Advanced

Originally Posted by DUB
I got your PM.

I looked at your photos and Alan was correct in his assumption on the problem.

From my experiences in seeing this problem...which I have seen MANY TIMES...I would bet that the gusset that is bonded and also pop riveted to the cowl has let loose.

This problem occurred in one of a couple ways. The front end has been damaged in a front end collision and stressed the three rivets and they finally let loose...OR...in the past the car was jacked up incorrectly and allowed to sit in that manner and stress at this gusset and rivets final gave way....OR the car is a northern car where the cowl/birdcage area is badly rusted and the rivets just pulled out due to the steel is gone.

This repair will require the front clip to come off. that is what I would do becasue I do not cut a perfect good panel so I can repair something easier....and then have to deal with a bonding seam in an area where there was one not originally installed. If you choose to hack and dice into your car...that is totally your decision.

I will not pass judgement on you....and I can help you in repairing that cut panel if you choose to do that....BUT...I WILL NOT be responsible if you have problems in your repair area. Let that be clearly understood.

DUB
Thank you for your advice. I would hire you to do it, but you're located in North Carolina. I am in Louisiana. I'm going to go do some more investigative work before I make a decision. Maybe I can get some more pictures of where the cowl meets the clip. I was told this car has not been in an accident, and it all looks straight underneath. However, I am at a minimum the 4th owner and so who knows what has been lost in translation. Lastly, I wouldn't hold someone responsible for their free advice given over the internet.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:06 PM
Masonwader
Advanced

I'm posting more pictures in case it helps give me a more definitive answer. I'm going to call in the big guns (my 3 friends) and offer them beer in exchange for pulling the clip. Might do that when it gets a bit colder.

Better view of clip to cowel on passenger side.

Drivers side. There appears to be breakage of the clip from this view?

This gap (picture center) it was first alerted me to something being up.

Another angle. Not sure how much help this is.

Quick Reply: Quarter panel gap near windshield normal?