C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hinson 1 7/8 headers and off road pipes = disaster

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 12:55 AM
soulmax
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hinson 1 7/8 headers and off road pipes = disaster

Hello.

First I would like to official say hello to other vette owners. This is my first domestic toy and I'm very excited about the car and to be a part of the community. I have been reading this forum for couple years on and off and I been a member of many other forums such as nasioc, s2ki, clubwrx, clubrsx, evolutionm and etc. I'm not new to modifying vehicles as I did that since 99, but I am new to LS engines. I've read a lot, but first time owner. Enough intro, let's get to it.

I picked up an 05 C6 LS2 in 6 speed with low miles with Borla catback classic system. It sounded great but I wanted more power. I got my hands on 5 months used Hinson Motorsports' ceramic coated headers with off road x pipe for a great deal. My initial plan was to put the oem axleback exhaust on the car and install hinson headers and x pipe and sell the borla. I would usually do this type of job myself as it's not that complicated, but with few hundred dollars I saved on the parts I thought I'll let the shop take care of it.

Apparently Hinson x pipe does not have rear o2 sensor bung. So mechanic told me he will install it where x pipe is. I bought two angled defouler for rear o2 sensors so I don't get CEL. I dropped off the car as they told me that it'll be worked on it first thing in the morning.

I get a call around 11 AM saying that 02 sensor extension harness that was provided by Hinson isn't long enough so they told me that they made a BUNG for FRONT o2 sensors way before the collector. So they fitted the front o2 sensors on the bungs they made pretty much on top of one of the 1 7/8" pipe, and fitted the rear o2 sensors where the FRONT ones are SUPPOSED to go. (Does everyone follow?)
Shop still used the angled defouler for the rear o2 sensors so I don't get cel.
Everything is done, and I'm driving home and I get a cel.

Now I understand that with tuning, not only I will get more HP and have he car run more properly, but also delete the codes.
I get it. I have ran many cars with headers no cat(s) along with defoulers/o2 sensor sims/ spark plug defoulers without a cel and without a problem. YES! I got more HP out of it after tuning way later, but I could run lots of cars without tune, but with defoulers.

Is corvette's o2 or computer just insanely sensitive? Or Defoulers don't work on Corvettes? Or?? I'm kinda scratching my head as all other cars ran fine but this is the first time running into this situation with CEL with defoulers with no cat.

I'm going to pull the codes tomorrow, but anyone have any suggestions BESIDES tuning? (I will after intake and ported intake mani which will be done in about 3 weeks)

And will the bung location that the shop altered may cause the cel?

I appreciate your help in advance and sorry it was a long boring material.

-max
Old 10-21-2016, 08:25 AM
Paratrooper307
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The front and rear 02 sensors serve specific purposes. The reason that you have 02 sensors in the rear is to assess that the catalytic converters are working effectively. If the sensors are put in the wrong place, or the converters are removed, the car will think that they are malfunctioning.

A tune can improve the performance and "delete" the rear O2 sensors, just be aware that turning off emissions controls can fail your vehicle inspection in some states.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:36 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Paratrooper307
just be aware that turning off emissions controls can fail your vehicle inspection in some states.
He's got to already know this.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:17 PM
soulmax
Intermediate

I appreciate the replies, but yes I know about emission and where I live there isn't any so I don't have to worry about that. Apparently the code is both the downstream o2 sensors so I'm just wondering why my angled defoulers aren't functioning.

BTW, does anyone know if the o2 sensor extension for the rear is the same as the front ones? ( I mean is the harness exactly the same?)

Thanks again.

-Max
Old 10-21-2016, 07:34 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

A good tuner can turn them off in a way that an emmisons test will never pick up ....... I was worried about my emissions test this year, my first , the plugged in the machine ran all the tests , bingo , I had a pass certificate in my hand .
Old 10-21-2016, 08:10 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'd hardly call that a "disaster".

A crappy tuner can do that. It's literally 30 seconds to do it
Old 10-21-2016, 09:30 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by soulmax
I appreciate the replies, but yes I know about emission and where I live there isn't any so I don't have to worry about that. Apparently the code is both the downstream o2 sensors so I'm just wondering why my angled defoulers aren't functioning.

BTW, does anyone know if the o2 sensor extension for the rear is the same as the front ones? ( I mean is the harness exactly the same?)

Thanks again.

-Max
The connectors are different. Fronts are a triangle'ish shape. Rears are square.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:36 PM
stillspinnin
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I'd hardly call that a "disaster".

A crappy tuner can do that. It's literally 30 seconds to do it
Lol anybody can do it. When I think of disaster, I think back when I was wot in 4th and a rod decided to go on vacation... To each their own
​​​
Old 10-22-2016, 01:00 AM
CSTYLE
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by stillspinnin
Lol anybody can do it. When I think of disaster, I think back when I was wot in 4th and a rod decided to go on vacation... To each their own
​​​
hilarious
Old 10-22-2016, 02:54 AM
soulmax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stillspinnin
​​​
Ha! Nice, Yeah I had my share when my 95 dsm crankwalked.

Anyways, yeah disaster is a bit exaggerated. I was just upset at the fact that simple headers job with things I provided still figured its way to trigger the cel.
I talked to 2 local tuners about deleting the cel, and they both want 1st hour of "TUNING" rate. Both right around 250.

Maybe I can find one who will try to delete for reasonable price.

-max
Old 10-22-2016, 09:12 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Pretty sure most headers without cats come with only 1set of O2 sensors. I have have the hinsons, awesome fit and power. Either get the car tuned or don't worry about the codes.

Get notified of new replies

To Hinson 1 7/8 headers and off road pipes = disaster

Quick Reply: Hinson 1 7/8 headers and off road pipes = disaster