C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Removing Convertible Top when Rplacing with Hardtop

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 10:03 AM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Removing Convertible Top when Rplacing with Hardtop

Hi All, When Installing the HardTop does anyone remove the Convertible top for the 5 or 6 month period.
Is it hard to do or very time consuming?
Just curious if owners do this.
Thanks
Barrier
Old 10-21-2016, 10:41 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I wouldn't.

Having a Jeep Wrangler, I am familiar with removing and reinstalling tops on a seasonal basis. I will tell you the issue isn't removing the soft top as much as it is storing and protecting it.

My concern would be where to put the top to ensure nothing happened to it as the fabric and glass are fragile, not to even mention expensive to replace. You damage a Jeep soft top and you are out maybe $500 at the most (that is with new windows). You damage a C4 top and you are going to be out a lot more. There are also a lot more moving parts in a C4 top than in a Jeep top (springs, latches and such hardware) that can be bent or lost. I have no idea how much a replacement soft top frame is for a C4. May not even exist except in a junkyard.

Your call but that is my opinion.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:33 AM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 116 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Why would you need to bother? Personally, I've never heard of someone doing this.
I agree with kg4fu.........you'd be risking damage to the top.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:29 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

With the hard top on and the vert top folded away you give up what little storage space you have with the soft top raised up or removed.

Personally, in the cold, snow climate the hard top would be of limited value as most people store their vettes in winter and leave the top down all summer if they're not DDs. JMHO
Old 10-21-2016, 05:14 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You should be able to just remove the bolts that hold the convertible top hinges to the body. Outside of the wires for the window defroster, those hinge bolts are the only thing that holds the assembly to the car.

The soft top could be stored in a "down" position with a towel protecting the rear window (vinyl or glass) and then placed in a protective cover. Maybe a large trash bag or two and then stored away somewhere there won't be a lot of humidity or cold temps.

When I had my '92 convertible, I found that the factory hardtop worked well to keep the interior warm and mine did not leak at all. The resonance from the aftermarket exhaust I had on the car almost completely disappeared. The cowl shake went away too. In fact, once the hardtop is properly installed and the bottom X-brace is in place and tight, the convertible with the hardtop is stiffer than the coupe.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:16 PM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for your responses.
I thought that I read somewhere that this was a common practice. Maybe it was from a Jeep Forum which is a totally different situation.
Barrier
Old 10-21-2016, 07:22 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Barrier
Thanks for your responses.
I thought that I read somewhere that this was a common practice. Maybe it was from a Jeep Forum which is a totally different situation.
Barrier
Jeeps require removal of the soft top to install the hardtop so it is common practice there.

I would say it could have been common practice on a C4 when quality replacement tops were more obtainable and installers were probably more familiar with working on them.

You just have to make a decision. Does the gains outweigh the risk?
Old 10-23-2016, 01:58 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I was thinking of doing that so I could have more room for fall driving and nice winter days when I lived in Michigan. If I recall there is a Torx 17 bolt on each side of the convertible frame that needs to be removed. I even bought a bit from the local Snap On guy.
I never did go through with it though. Ended up parking her for the cold weather instead. Too much trouble for the limited benefit.
I no longer own that vert.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:45 PM
CA1992C4
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I realize this is a year old thread, but I am thinking about replacing the convertible top assembly on my 1992 C4. Has anyone taken their convertible top assembly off, and how big of a job was it? I looked in my FSM, but it didn't really go through the entire process.

Last edited by CA1992C4; 09-21-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:55 PM
steve6
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I converted my two bolts to studs with a clip so I could easily remove the hard top. There is a wire and another small support (I think?) that also needs to be disconnected but that is easy. Its not a hard job to do, but those two main bolts are kinda annoying, I think I recall they are somewhat tucked away.

I remove my soft top entirely in the summer months, I really never want to drive with the top up anyways, it only gets used on nice days and little chance of rain. Parked in garage otherwise.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:07 PM
CA1992C4
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I am worried I am taking on a project that is going to turn into a nightmare. Living in California means the top is down every time I drive it, but the top is worn out and has a rip - so it's not good for the rainy weather. I can get a complete soft top assembly in good condition to replace the old top, I just want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head if I decide to buy it.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:40 AM
skullandbones
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't think removing the soft top is a bad idea. If you just do it once a season and install the hard top. Replacing the top should not be that complicated. I had to do a repair on number three rail (had broken bolt). That was probably harder to fix than getting to the bolts to remove the whole frame. Maybe use some penetrating oil on them before trying to remove.

If you store the top, get or make a canvas slide in bag to hold it during storage. Make sure it is folded carefully using it's natural folding position and be sure to protect the window with towel on inside and out. Don't even want it rubbing on itself. Most important: keep it in a controlled environment so the plastic window will remain pliable. The reason I know these things is I was a sail maker and worked with this plastic all the time. Keeping unused inventory in perfect condition was important.

Good luck,

WEK.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing Convertible Top when Rplacing with Hardtop

Quick Reply: Removing Convertible Top when Rplacing with Hardtop