C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Visor

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 11:45 AM
SigmaChiVetteGuy
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Visor

I would like to replace my 2013 coupe drivers side sun visor with one that has the universal home link. Is that possible/feasible. If so how do you go about removing the existing one?
Old 10-21-2016, 02:01 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I believe it can be done easily. However-

If your vanity mirror cover breaks and you can't fix it, then you need to buy yet another visor $$$.

The original Homelink (2005-2007?) was easy to match with your garage, but has really short range for us. The newer Lear version has much better range but it's said it can't be programmed with some of the older (or is it newer? Better check...) openers.

You might do what we did on our C5: use sticky-back Velcro to attach your original transmitter to the bottom of the steering column, just be sure it won't hit anything as you move the column in-out and up-down.
For us; that method had good range, easy to find by feel, out of sight, easily removed from the car for repairs or security reasons. If the built-in visor unit on our 2009 ever fails, we plan to go the Velcro route.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 10-21-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:13 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

wiring should already be there, use this link to show you how to change them
http://www.theredlion.us/DSV%20Sunvi...stallation.pdf

you can find them used on Ebay also
Old 10-23-2016, 01:25 PM
SigmaChiVetteGuy
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I believe it can be done easily. However-

If your vanity mirror cover breaks and you can't fix it, then you need to buy yet another visor $$$.

The original Homelink (2005-2007?) was easy to match with your garage, but has really short range for us. The newer Lear version has much better range but it's said it can't be programmed with some of the older (or is it newer? Better check...) openers.

You might do what we did on our C5: use sticky-back Velcro to attach your original transmitter to the bottom of the steering column, just be sure it won't hit anything as you move the column in-out and up-down.
For us; that method had good range, easy to find by feel, out of sight, easily removed from the car for repairs or security reasons. If the built-in visor unit on our 2009 ever fails, we plan to go the Velcro route.
Thanks for the response. I just need to know how you remove an existing visor and install a new one. Or should I just take it to a body shop and have them do the work?
Old 10-23-2016, 02:47 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

The visor spins out of the hole , you put a screw driver in the slot and then pull the visor toward the driver side door .... it's not easy and it can break , Google the directions and you will see better how to do it . Then just reverse the procedure to install the new visor

The wiring is plug and play . Home link is better but I have not had any issue with my Lear ....

Dave
Old 10-23-2016, 04:07 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Dcasole
The visor spins out of the hole , you put a screw driver in the slot and then pull the visor toward the driver side door .... it's not easy and it can break , Google the directions and you will see better how to do it . Then just reverse the procedure to install the new visor

The wiring is plug and play . Home link is better but I have not had any issue with my Lear ....

Dave

The tech at our dealership insisted on ordering a new bezel where the visor attaches, in case he broke ours during the process. He didn't need it and I didn't get charged, but that's a hint.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:03 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

The tech at our dealership insisted on ordering a new bezel where the visor attaches, in case he broke ours during the process. He didn't need it and I didn't get charged, but that's a hint.
Does not need a new bezel if he is replacing the visor as the new visor has one , just a warning that it's a pain to get out
Old 10-23-2016, 06:31 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks, maybe that's why they didn't need the extra.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:43 AM
ontime
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 85 Posts

I have done this on my old c5 and the 2013 c6 gs I now have. take the top out and put down the window as they can be in the way. if you follow the directions on the forum it is a 5 minute swap depending on your nerves. I have not had a bezel break yet. The lear is great and I had no problem syncing to a 10 year old craftsman opener. I purchased a new visor so there would be no cutting or disappointments. Good Luck and don't let it intimidate you it is just another part.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:49 AM
mikeyyyallday
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

just snapped one hinge on my damn visor cover

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Visor

Quick Reply: C6 Visor