C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes, another tire question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 11:48 AM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Yes, another tire question...

Is anyone running the HANKOOK VENTUS V12 EVO2 tires? I am needing a complete set of tires and those look tempting from several aspects. I like the tread pattern, they appear to have great customer reviews, and I really like the price. I am requesting specific thoughts from members that have run these tires please...not the snarky "you get what you pay for" responses. Thank you in advance...
Old 10-21-2016, 12:17 PM
Iceman007
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I love my Nitto Invos, plus they look awesome!
Old 10-21-2016, 12:35 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,086 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I just installed a set of the Hankook Ventus EVO2 tires on my 2011 GS.

To me, they are quiet, ride smooth, have very good straight-line grip and a pretty good tread wear rating of 320 ... I am very happy with them.

I don't road racing this car, so I can't tell you how they would be on a road race type of track, but they are great for everyday driving.

How long will they actually last? ... I don't have a clue
The following users liked this post:
AL_Jazz (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 12:58 PM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

I haven't had these tires, but have had Hankook Ventus stuff before and I was very happy with them. Sold my C5 with them so don't know how long they lasted
AL_Jazz (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 03:12 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

I have had 2 sets on my C5 and 1 on my C6.

Good tires for a daily driver and occasional spirited driving. Put 33 to 37k on the 1st set on the C5. Have about 7 or so on the C6 and about 3k on the 2nd C5 set.

Gary
AL_Jazz (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 08:12 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Well, in some instances price is a real consideration esp. if this won't be an owned car for very long. So, you want good rubber, new rubber and that it will handle the power of the car. From what I've read about the Hankook they'll be ok but it's probably not the "handling" champ of all tires made for the C6. But price may be the chief factor in this case.
AL_Jazz (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 10:07 PM
Sky High
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Well, in some instances price is a real consideration
I totally understand that. However just buying tires because I got a great price is unacceptable. I want to take full advantage of what my GS can do and if that means paying a couple of hundred more for tires to get the most out of the car so be it. Why does anybody buy a Corvette and diminish it's potential to save a couple of bucks on tires. Not me. BTW all the reviews for the Hancocks put it at a average tire.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:14 PM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Haven't run them on any of my Corvettes (keep reading) but we did put a set on my wife's LS1 Camaro a few years back.

They are an OK tire at an affordable price. My wife didn't need a top notch performance tire. I'm with the guys who ask why put a cheap tire on your Corvette and diminish it's performance capabilities?

However, if you drive like my wife (LOL, no offense intended) and don't drive your car near its limits, then it might make sense to save a few bucks.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:56 AM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Thank you to those who responded that have actually run this tire. I was over at the body shop today and checked the tires. The GS has decent Goodyears on the rear and Michelin A/S 3 on the front. Since only one of the fronts is damaged, I will be looking at a pair for the front and might go with a matching GY pair. I will keep post on the build thread what I finally decide.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:48 AM
Sledge Hammer
Burning Brakes

Received 366 Likes on 213 Posts

I put the Hankooks on my CTS and they were an improvement over the OEM tires. My first Vette was a 2002 Z06. It had Goodyear's on it They were terrible. 1st gear was almost useless. Get on the gas and the tires would just light up in first and immediately red line the engine. Shift to second and they would light up again through 80% of the rpm range. Shift to third and they lit up again. Put Hankook's on and what an improvement. You can still light em up in first, but it is no where near as bad. Acceleration was greatly improved with the Hankooks. The Hankooks were priced much better than the Michelins, but they were on backorder at the time so I got the Hankooks and never regretted the decision. I now have a 10 GS and have replaced the runcraps with Hankook and am happy.
AL_Jazz (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 11:56 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by AL_Jazz
Thank you to those who responded that have actually run this tire. I was over at the body shop today and checked the tires. The GS has decent Goodyears on the rear and Michelin A/S 3 on the front. Since only one of the fronts is damaged, I will be looking at a pair for the front and might go with a matching GY pair. I will keep post on the build thread what I finally decide.
You are the only person I have ever heard say they would buy more GY seriously That's cool, just sayin
Myself I just bought new tires last month, Hankooks, not a lot of miles but they ride better that my previous tires, quiet, go straight (where as my Nittos caused trammling), look sweet and the price was right. I can spin the tires if I try but don't drive that way. So take it for what its worth
Good luck
nSF
AL_Jazz (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 03:05 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
You are the only person I have ever heard say they would buy more GY seriously That's cool, just sayin
Myself I just bought new tires last month, Hankooks, not a lot of miles but they ride better that my previous tires, quiet, go straight (where as my Nittos caused trammling), look sweet and the price was right. I can spin the tires if I try but don't drive that way. So take it for what its worth
Good luck
nSF
Well, I seriously dislike GY and that is why I was looking at the complete set of Hankooks installed for under $1k. However, I am only actually "needing" a set of fronts due to one damaged tire. The GY rears are fairly new so I hate to just throw away a good set of rear tires when I could just smoke them off

After reading a couple of positive results from you guys that have actually ran them, I might put new Hankooks on the front, burn off the rears over the next month or two and then do the rears with a set of matching Hankooks. Definitely appreciate the responses.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:07 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer
I put the Hankooks on my CTS and they were an improvement over the OEM tires. My first Vette was a 2002 Z06. It had Goodyear's on it They were terrible. 1st gear was almost useless. Get on the gas and the tires would just light up in first and immediately red line the engine. Shift to second and they would light up again through 80% of the rpm range. Shift to third and they lit up again. Put Hankook's on and what an improvement. You can still light em up in first, but it is no where near as bad. Acceleration was greatly improved with the Hankooks. The Hankooks were priced much better than the Michelins, but they were on backorder at the time so I got the Hankooks and never regretted the decision. I now have a 10 GS and have replaced the runcraps with Hankook and am happy.
After all the positive responses, I guess I am leaning towards ordering a set for the front and then doing the rears whenever I destroy the current GYs. Guess I need to get it out of my system
Old 10-22-2016, 03:19 PM
Sky High
Drifting

Well, I seriously dislike GY and that is why I was looking at the complete set of Hankooks installed for under $1k. However, I am only actually "needing" a set of fronts due to one damaged tire. The GY rears are fairly new so I hate to just throw away a good set of rear tires when I could just smoke them off

After reading a couple of positive results from you guys that have actually ran them, I might put new Hankooks on the front, burn off the rears over the next month or two and then do the rears with a set of matching Hankooks. Definitely appreciate the responses.
I understand not spending too much if money is a issue. But you drive a Corvette, don't you want the most your car can deliver? For $300-350 more than the Kooks, you can get the Bridgestone RE-11's. They are far superior than the Kooks (even stickier than the PSS) and your car will handle at the ultimate maximum of it's ability. Whether you drive that way or not is not the issue, fully knowing you can if need be is the issue.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:07 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Originally Posted by Sky High
I understand not spending too much if money is a issue. But you drive a Corvette, don't you want the most your car can deliver? For $300-350 more than the Kooks, you can get the Bridgestone RE-11's. They are far superior than the Kooks (even stickier than the PSS) and your car will handle at the ultimate maximum of it's ability. Whether you drive that way or not is not the issue, fully knowing you can if need be is the issue.
Money is not really an issue, it is justification. I rebuild vehicles as a hobby and as a stress relief from my IT Security career. I rarely keep a car more than a few weeks to a few months once I finish one. Someone always comes along that wants it at a fair price and I let it go to start on another one. On this particular GrandSport the front right tire was damaged during the previous wreck. The justification comes in like this:
1. The current GYs on the rear are in great shape, so I could replace the two front tires (I generally replace in pairs, not singles) and when I sell it, it will have matching GYs all the way around
2. I could spend $1600 and have a completely new set of xxxx all the way around but it would not increase my selling price. However, it would greatly increase what I have in the car thus eating up a substantial part of potential profit upon the sale.
3. I could spend $350 on a new pair of Hankooks for the front and burn the heck out of the rears for the next several months. Then before I list her for sell I could install a new set of rears and have $850-900 in tires and the new owner has a full new set of tires. If he likes them great, if not, he can put on whatever xxxx he wants.

This is why I was asking for advice on a specific tire for people that had ran that specific tire. I was not asking for general tire opinion and options.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:18 PM
Sky High
Drifting

Money is not really an issue, it is justification. I rebuild vehicles as a hobby and as a stress relief from my IT Security career. I rarely keep a car more than a few weeks to a few months once I finish one. Someone always comes along that wants it at a fair price and I let it go to start on another one. On this particular GrandSport the front right tire was damaged during the previous wreck. The justification comes in like this:
1. The current GYs on the rear are in great shape, so I could replace the two front tires (I generally replace in pairs, not singles) and when I sell it, it will have matching GYs all the way around
2. I could spend $1600 and have a completely new set of xxxx all the way around but it would not increase my selling price. However, it would greatly increase what I have in the car thus eating up a substantial part of potential profit upon the sale.
3. I could spend $350 on a new pair of Hankooks for the front and burn the heck out of the rears for the next several months. Then before I list her for sell I could install a new set of rears and have $850-900 in tires and the new owner has a full new set of tires. If he likes them great, if not, he can put on whatever xxxx he wants.

This is why I was asking for advice on a specific tire for people that had ran that specific tire. I was not asking for general tire opinion and options.
Well you should have mentioned the buying and selling in the original post. I thought you were asking these questions as if it was "your" car. In your case sure, being you are fixing them up and selling them the Kooks will do. A little clarification goes a long way.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:31 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Originally Posted by Sky High
Well you should have mentioned the buying and selling in the original post. I thought you were asking these questions as if it was "your" car. In your case sure, being you are fixing them up and selling them the Kooks will do. A little clarification goes a long way.
Yeah, I hear that from my GF all the time. I ask a specific question and then I get upset when she answers with a clarifying question. I tell her just answer the question I am asking. The why I am asking is irrelevant to the specific question I am asking. I have my reasons damnit, just answer. Then we are both pissed off. She is convinced I have a problem with communication...and is probably correct.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:51 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

I read and listened to all the pros & cons, buy this , buy that, this sucks, this is great, in the end get what you want as long as the major reviews don't say they are horrible, like the GY RF are.
You can see reviews are all over the place, so up to you. As for me I'm not into the "I got the best" because I own a Corvette BS. Hankooks are great tires IMO
NSF
NSF
AL_Jazz (10-24-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 08:20 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
I just installed a set of the Hankook Ventus EVO2 tires on my 2011 GS.

To me, they are quiet, ride smooth, have very good straight-line grip and a pretty good tread wear rating of 320 ... I am very happy with them.

I don't road racing this car, so I can't tell you how they would be on a road race type of track, but they are great for everyday driving.

How long will they actually last? ... I don't have a clue
I put the same tires on my 12 GS and I agree with all of the above....I really like the feel ( as opposed to the original Goodyear RF's) and the price was right! ....as of now I have no complaints! and would buy again!

AL_Jazz (10-24-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Yes, another tire question...

Quick Reply: Yes, another tire question...