C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

service active handling message on DIC as i was driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 12:06 PM
soheil
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default service active handling message on DIC as i was driving

the message randomly came on my drive this morning to go home. iv noticed a slight vibration in the brake pedal, but after i got home. turned the car off for 1 min, the started it again the message went away. anyone know why this happend? its scaring me as more problems might happen soon. and my brakes are good its not that. hopefully the service active handling doesnt come back. it is a chilly day today idk if that makes an impact

Last edited by soheil; 10-22-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:44 PM
soheil
Instructor

bump
Old 10-22-2016, 12:49 PM
oldtee
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by soheil
bump
Check brake fluid level. Had this happen to me when a bleeder leaked fluid and lowered the level.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:53 PM
soheil
Instructor

Originally Posted by oldtee
Check brake fluid level. Had this happen to me when a bleeder leaked fluid and lowered the level.
how do i do that? the car braked fine and stuff just the message came for no reason. i know theres a seperate message that says check brake fluid but i didnt get that

Last edited by soheil; 10-22-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:56 PM
napp e roots
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a crazy amount of things that can cause that. I disabled my AHS by disconnecting the steering position sensor. There doesn't seem to be a real fix for this issue, other than disabling the system. If the brakes lock up at speed it can be pretty dangerous
Old 10-22-2016, 12:59 PM
soheil
Instructor

Originally Posted by napp e roots
There are a crazy amount of things that can cause that. I disabled my AHS by disconnecting the steering position sensor. There doesn't seem to be a real fix for this issue, other than disabling the system. If the brakes lock up at speed it can be pretty dangerous
i doubt its brakes, i went up to even 140km/hr and braked fine. i was played a little bit with the tilt wheel by the steering wheel when i was warming up the car which maybe caused that message to show up later, not sure
Old 10-22-2016, 01:22 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

how do i do that? the car braked fine and stuff just the message came for no reason. i know theres a seperate message that says check brake fluid but i didnt get that
You take the cap off and look in the reservoir. Don't tell me! You don't know where the cap is, right?
Old 10-22-2016, 03:01 PM
soheil
Instructor

Originally Posted by EVRose
You take the cap off and look in the reservoir. Don't tell me! You don't know where the cap is, right?

​​​​​​​i just checked with my dad. Brake fluid is where it should be. So not sure why ahs came up on dic
Old 10-22-2016, 03:51 PM
soheil
Instructor

The message came again after driving. Its not brake fluid problem
Old 10-22-2016, 04:16 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Location would help, since if you are into the colder weather, or the tires where not warmed up yet, it's really easy to get into the ABS system (pedal will vibrate when the abs system kicks in as the tires [or only a single tire] start to loose grip during braking), until the tires do get up to temps/start to get performance grip again.

If it was not a tire cold or tire grip problem and you are sure that you where not getting deep into the brakes to cause the tires to lose grip, then suspect that one of the wheel hub sensor connectors is either loose, or the wheel hub sensor is getting ready to give up the ghost.

The way that the ABS system works, is it measures the tire speed of all four tires via the hub wheel speed sensors, and when one of the tires speeds drops way before the others, the ABS/AH will kick into keep the car straight during braking.

So on that note, pull the connectors off the wheel Hub sensors, clean the connectors and the sensor sockets with a good spray electrical cleaner, and them reconnect them.

If that does not solve the problem, then could be up line with a bad connection at the EBCM connector isntead.

One last thing, and if you are not running stock size tires on the rims, could be a problem with the size of the tires front to back causing the problem instead. The ECM is set up to read the hub speed sensors with the rear tires 1.04" larger in diameter (OD of the tire) than the front tires, and if the size percentage ratios are off, it going to reek havoc with the entire system reading the tires speeds correctly to begin with.

Also to point out, the steering wheel position sensor is directly plugged into the ECBM, as well as the Yaw sensor too, so problems with these connections or modules, will also kick the active handling if a misread as well.

Last edited by Dano523; 10-22-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:31 PM
soheil
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dano523
Location would help, since if you are into the colder weather, or the tires where not warmed up yet, it's really easy to get into the ABS system (pedal will vibrate when the abs system kicks in as the tires [or only a single tire] start to loose grip during braking), until the tires do get up to temps/start to get performance grip again.

If it was not a tire cold or tire grip problem and you are sure that you where not getting deep into the brakes to cause the tires to lose grip, then suspect that one of the wheel hub sensor connectors is either loose, or the wheel hub sensor is getting ready to give up the ghost.

The way that the ABS system works, is it measures the tire speed of all four tires via the hub wheel speed sensors, and when one of the tires speeds drops way before the others, the ABS/AH will kick into keep the car straight during braking.

So on that note, pull the connectors off the wheel Hub sensors, clean the connectors and the sensor sockets with a good spray electrical cleaner, and them reconnect them.

If that does not solve the problem, then could be up line with a bad connection at the EBCM connector isntead.

One last thing, and if you are not running stock size tires on the rims, could be a problem with the size of the tires front to back causing the problem instead. The ECM is set up to read the hub speed sensors with the rear tires 1.04" larger in diameter (OD of the tire) than the front tires, and if the size percentage ratios are off, it going to reek havoc with the entire system reading the tires speeds correctly to begin with.

Also to point out, the steering wheel position sensor is directly plugged into the ECBM, as well as the Yaw sensor too, so problems with these connections or modules, will also kick the active handling if a misread as well.

​​​​​​​**** man so much work. Why did it happen today it was perfect before. Today is chilly day. But the message comes after few kms so the car is already warm
Old 10-22-2016, 04:51 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

There is a sticky at the top of the forum that has more (and yet less)info and answers than you ever wanted to know about the SAH issue.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:00 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

​​​​​​​**** man so much work. Why did it happen today it was perfect before. Today is chilly day. But the message comes after few kms so the car is already warm
Chilly as in under 50F/10C?

If yes, then it's the summer performance tires not getting warm enough, and they don't have any type of grip. Hell, in the winter time, I switch from super sports to SPT, and still don't take the car out when it below 50f/10C since eve the SPT's tires will not get warm enough to have any real grip instead. Hence will end up not only into the ABS driving it normal like I do in the summer time during braking, but will end up just spinning the tires on normal starts from stop lights as well.

If you are sure that it not the tires loosing traction, then suspect that the cold if reeking havoc with the wire connection points instead.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:07 PM
soheil
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dano523
Chilly as in under 50F/10C?

If yes, then it's the summer performance tires not getting warm enough, and they don't have any type of grip. Hell, in the winter time, I switch from super sports to SPT, and still don't take the car out when it below 50f/10C since eve the SPT's tires will not get warm enough to have any real grip instead. Hence will end up not only into the ABS driving it normal like I do in the summer time during braking, but will end up just spinning the tires on normal starts from stop lights as well.

If you are sure that it not the tires loosing traction, then suspect that the cold if reeking havoc with the wire connection points instead.
it is 8'C right now and i have michelin pilot super sport tires. but why would the message come up though regardless
Old 10-22-2016, 06:12 PM
lwise4
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I don,t know about the C6 as I have only had mine a short time but I had the same error message on my 2003. It turned out to be the ECBM which I sent off for repair. This is a common problem on the C5 due to flaky solder joints. As I said, it is common on the C5 but I do not know about the C6 but maybe someone else knows?
Old 10-23-2016, 05:04 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

There was a "service active handling" recall back in 2012 for some wires coming loose in the steering column from using the telescoping wheel feature. The loose wires were causing the message to appear.. You may want to check if your car was on the list, and if so, if the column repair was ever done....You never mentioned what year car you have...WW

Last edited by WW7; 10-23-2016 at 05:12 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:46 AM
oldtee
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
There was a "service active handling" recall back in 2012 for some wires coming loose in the steering column from using the telescoping wheel feature. The loose wires were causing the message to appear.. You may want to check if your car was on the list, and if so, if the column repair was ever done....You never mentioned what year car you have...WW
This fella may not have the background to do technical work on the car. I am surprised nobody told him to get a scanner and read the codes. He needs to take the car to a experienced mechanic to diagnose the problem. Time to open Daddy's wallet!
Old 10-23-2016, 09:54 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Yep, scanning for the codes helps narrow it down some. I realize we are speaking of the C6 here, however the same message popped up on my C5 once. Remembering that I had read somewhere about this specific problem and the ground splice packs under the hood and in the area of the doors, I took those apart and cleaned up the connections. Hasn't had any TC/AH messages since.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:03 AM
RJS91RGTP
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Service active handling

This issue is caused by a wheel position sensor that is about to fail!

The fix is to replace the sensor which is on the steering column. This was a recall issue on some C6s but you don't state the year of yours. It is an easy and quick job but needs to be done by a Chevy dealer or real good mechanic that knows Vettes. Cost is about $300 if not on the recall list. Get it fixed as the problem will get worse. It has nothing to do with brake fluid level or cold tires.

Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To service active handling message on DIC as i was driving

Quick Reply: service active handling message on DIC as i was driving