C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Starter

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 03:00 PM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Starter

Well her starter is acting up, clicks a couple of times before it engages, took several attempts this morning.

I heard something about shims, does an 89 have them? Any trick to changing this puppy out?

Rick
Old 10-22-2016, 04:59 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

If it is original pull it and have it rebuilt and hope you did not tear up your flywheel. Disconnect your battery first or you will hit your head.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 10-22-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:43 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

It may be that the solenoid is going bad. The clicking sound usually happens when the solenoid cannot mechanically pass the current from the battery to the starter motor.

Shims aren't typically installed with original starters. Aftermarket starters have a couple shims provided, but the only real use for them is to make sure the small gear in the back of the starter motor meshes properly with the ring gear on the flywheel or flexplate. In most cases with good quality reman starters, the shims are not needed. They have nothing to do with the solenoid itself.

The starter is not too hard to remove. Disconnect the negative battery cable at the battery and then remove the positive cable at the starter solenoid, remove the two small wires on the solenoid. The starter may have a front support bracket that will have to be removed and then the two bolts that hold the starter to the block.

With the starter out, the solenoid is easily removed and the new one attached. Solenoids run about $30 to $40 to buy.
The following users liked this post:
shootnstarz (10-25-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 10:56 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser

With the starter out, the solenoid is easily removed and the new one attached. Solenoids run about $30 to $40 to buy.
The OP's '89 should have the newer compact 'denso style starter if it's OE/GM. It's important that he remove what's there and ID it before doing a thing. The car could have an "offshore" replica of maybe a Tilton style or some other wild conglomeration. There are many!!

Shims for sure aren't a solution generally for the OP's mentioned problem but there ain't no assurance until the ring gear and the starter pinion are checked and confirmed.

If the OP has confirmed good wiring, an adequate charging system the removal confirms maybe all. If he's not got adequate electrical then there's no reason to remove first.

A 'denso pinion has a taper/bevel on the teeth, very poor electrical(less than optimal)isn't likely going to engage the pinion with less than a perfect match of the pinion/ring gear. Since the OP mentions that a few attempts seems to resolve in a crank maybe he's just "less than optimal" cranking voltage supplied to the starter. MAYBE!!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-23-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:07 PM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
Well her starter is acting up, clicks a couple of times before it engages, took several attempts this morning.

I heard something about shims, does an 89 have them? Any trick to changing this puppy out?

Rick
This is the solenoid repair kit that fits a 1994 Corvette----Victory Lap ND-34SOL Solenoid Repair Kit on Amazon-----take a look here to see what you are replacing-------I don't thinks shims are an issue if you keep with the same starter, at least I did not mess with any of them. I only used 2 of the 4 copper contacts. Maybe they just send too many or fit other applications ?
Old 10-23-2016, 04:00 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
The OP's '89 should have the newer compact 'denso style starter if it's OE/GM. It's important that he remove what's there and ID it before doing a thing. The car could have an "offshore" replica of maybe a Tilton style or some other wild conglomeration. There are many!!

Shims for sure aren't a solution generally for the OP's mentioned problem but there ain't no assurance until the ring gear and the starter pinion are checked and confirmed.

If the OP has confirmed good wiring, an adequate charging system the removal confirms maybe all. If he's not got adequate electrical then there's no reason to remove first.

A 'denso pinion has a taper/bevel on the teeth, very poor electrical(less than optimal)isn't likely going to engage the pinion with less than a perfect match of the pinion/ring gear. Since the OP mentions that a few attempts seems to resolve in a crank maybe he's just "less than optimal" cranking voltage supplied to the starter. MAYBE!!!
this
Old 10-24-2016, 02:49 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for the advice. When the starter does engage it spins like normal so it must just be the solenoid.

RH
Old 10-24-2016, 05:55 AM
Drifter36
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Source for new starter contacts

Thanks for the advice. When the starter does engage it spins like normal so it must just be the solenoid.

RH
Just ran into this company that sells starter rebuild kits for nippondenso starters. I'm having the same problem as you and this is where I plan to purchase a kit for mine. There's a good video of the rebuild process. It looks pretty straight forward.

http://http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/densoparts.html
Old 10-24-2016, 08:46 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifter36
Just ran into this company that sells starter rebuild kits for nippondenso starters. I'm having the same problem as you and this is where I plan to purchase a kit for mine. There's a good video of the rebuild process. It looks pretty straight forward.

http://http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/densoparts.html
The required parts for nearly all should be available locally and maybe for less $$. I believe that it's wise to compare parts vs buying from an assumption. I believe a 'denso can be built using many combinations so if you're repairing one that worked and maybe wasn't OE/GM you'd be more concerned with what was in the previous working one.

I believe that many buy a kit and when they get it "in hand" the plunger doesn't match.

There's many options for the plunger/contact buys if you measure and confirm needs first. Guessing or assuming doing an Internet buy "if it ain't right - now it''s apart anyway" - you've accomplished what?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-24-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:26 AM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default starter

Rick
The video that drifter 36 mentions is excellent and I believe it's the one I used. It's a lot easier when you open the solenoid up and see what you need to do . The kit from Amazon was correct(for a 1994) and had 2 extra contacts, cost $12. One thing that may not have been mentioned is that when installing the 2 large copper contacts, adjust them so they both contact the copper ring(on the plunger) , at the same time. You will see pitting on the old contacts, which is why they eventually fail.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter

Quick Reply: Starter