C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

side pipes

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 06:24 PM
VinceP
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post

Default side pipes

I have a 1963 with sidepipes They need to be replaced I see that there are 2" and 2 1/2" is there a way to tell what size they are without taking them off thanks vince
Old 10-22-2016, 07:49 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I would assume they are speaking of the diameter of the head pipes leading to the chambered pipe sections. If so you can reach under the car and caliper the head pipe diameter. As far as the chambered part - your pipes could be anything - OEM or aftermarket. OEM was 1-5/8 inch clear through the chambered part. Most aftermarket pipes now are 2-1/4, 2-1/2 or 3 inch through the chambered section.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:53 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by VinceP
I have a 1963 with sidepipes They need to be replaced I see that there are 2" and 2 1/2" is there a way to tell what size they are without taking them off thanks vince
Side pipes were not available until 1965 model year, so no telling what size is installed on your car. You can look at the piping just a few inches (1-2 inches) from the driver side exhaust manifold outlet and use a tape measure or piece of string to get the circumference of the pipe. Then do the same near the inlet to the side pipe muffler.

Divide the circumference by 3.14 to get the diameter(s). For 2 inch pipe the circumference should be about 6-1/4 inches. For 2-1/2 inch pipe the circumference should be about 7-7/8 inches.

There are three choices for "factory type" pipes:

1. 2 inch diameter all the way from the exhaust manifold to the side pipes. This size was never offered from the factory, but could be a custom set made/altered specifically for your car.....if it was initially an auto trans car. Probably unlikely.

2. 2-1/2 inch diameter all the way. Used on most of the early C2 cars with 4-speed. Probably what you have.

3. 2 inch diameter at the exhaust manifold and then swaging up to 2-1/2 inch about 6-12 inches later. These were factory installed for the 1966-67 small block cars. You could have these if your engine exhaust manifolds were replaced with 66-67 type.

In summary, measure for the actual pipe diameter or diameters (2) and determine whether swaged or not.

Larry

EDIT: In recent years, the side pipe shops have been offering just about anything you want..........so just about anything is possible. But the choices I mentioned above should cover most "factory like" systems.

Last edited by Powershift; 10-22-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:04 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Basically, the 2" and 2-1/2" are the opening at the exhaust manifold. This was because most Ramhorn manifolds were 2 inch but the high performance ramhorn manifolds expanded near the flange and were 2-1/2 inches.

Notice how the lower one is slightly larger near the outlet. You can measure the pipe near the flange to see.

If you have stock manifolds on, a 250 hp and 300 hp will be 2 inch. A 340 and 360 hp will be 2-1/2 inch.

If you have headers, then you are going to have to do more measuring.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:06 AM
VinceP
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
Basically, the 2" and 2-1/2" are the opening at the exhaust manifold. This was because most Ramhorn manifolds were 2 inch but the high performance ramhorn manifolds expanded near the flange and were 2-1/2 inches.

Notice how the lower one is slightly larger near the outlet. You can measure the pipe near the flange to see.

If you have stock manifolds on, a 250 hp and 300 hp will be 2 inch. A 340 and 360 hp will be 2-1/2 inch.

If you have headers, then you are going to have to do more measuring.
I have my car since 1969 over the years I have found things that the previce owner has done so I am not sure of anything From your pic it sure looks like a 2" but I will take off the side pipes and check them to make sure thanks for the pics Vince

Get notified of new replies

To side pipes

Quick Reply: side pipes