C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

1995 ZR-1 Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 02:04 PM
Silverfox1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 1995 ZR-1 Check Engine Light

Has 23,500mi. Installed Haibeck chip several months ago & has run great since, more power & cooler. All original except chip. Just put in new ACD battery & tested twice, all OK.

Went on cold start & heard a pop, engine light came on. Had to go out, but car ran smooth & strong, no odd sounds, no smoke, plenty of gas. Except for light, would never know something happened. Tried to reset by disconnecting battery, but light still came on. The only thing I can possibly say MAY have changed is that idle won't come down under 1,000-1,100. Maybe related?

I have a CAN OBD II for my '96, but I believe that will not work on the '95, altho the plug will fit. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive reader for OBD I? I wanted to see if I could get a code first, but any thoughts appreciated.
Thx
Old 10-23-2016, 02:21 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

When the LT5 pops it is a backfire, Map sensor vac line most likely came off, Map sensor is under the silver cover at the rear of the plenum.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-backfire.html

Last edited by FASTAZU; 10-23-2016 at 02:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Silverfox1 (10-23-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 04:18 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by We Gone
When the LT5 pops it is a backfire, Map sensor vac line most likely came off, Map sensor is under the silver cover at the rear of the plenum.

Marty
Silverfox1 (10-25-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 06:40 PM
Crabs
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1

Marty

x2

'Crabs
Silverfox1 (10-25-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 08:14 PM
Silverfox1
Instructor

You are THE MAN. Absolutely correct & solved the high idle issue as well.
Was an easy fix. Question: the vac line is actually pretty short, but it starts out at the sensor as "wide" line which is connected to about 2" of narrower line (where it separated) & then back to the "wide" line (1") to the nipple. Why not just have 1 solid line of the same size, why bother with the narrow interim? Is that how it's supposed to be?

Thanks again!
Old 10-24-2016, 09:39 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Yes that is how they are. As they get old they tend to get lose from oil, may be time for a new line.

One of the few and best parts suppliers.
http://www.jerrysgaskets.com/hose-ma...ew-90-95-13d4/
Old 10-24-2016, 09:20 PM
secondchance
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverfox1
You are THE MAN. Absolutely correct & solved the high idle issue as well.
Was an easy fix. Question: the vac line is actually pretty short, but it starts out at the sensor as "wide" line which is connected to about 2" of narrower line (where it separated) & then back to the "wide" line (1") to the nipple. Why not just have 1 solid line of the same size, why bother with the narrow interim? Is that how it's supposed to be?

Thanks again!
Reason it's wide, narrow, back to wide is that wide portions are rubber vacuum line to connect to hard plastic line between the nipples. I replaced the OEM MAP sensor line with rubber vacuum hose once. It worked fine until oil and gas fume plus heat soften the rubber line to a point where it would collapse during high engine vacuum, cut off vacuum to the MAP sensor, resulting in false signal from MAP sensor to ECM making the motor cut off during deceleration. If and when you replace MAP sensor hose replace with OEM hose.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:43 AM
Silverfox1
Instructor

Yes that is how they are. As they get old they tend to get lose from oil, may be time for a new line.

One of the few and best parts suppliers.
http://www.jerrysgaskets.com/hose-ma...ew-90-95-13d4/

Good idea. I'm gonna flight test early next year & that would not be the time for a repeat. Cheap insurance. i actually got the black oil filter from Jerry's . Glad they're around.

Thx again !
Old 10-25-2016, 12:45 AM
Silverfox1
Instructor

Originally Posted by secondchance
Reason it's wide, narrow, back to wide is that wide portions are rubber vacuum line to connect to hard plastic line between the nipples. I replaced the OEM MAP sensor line with rubber vacuum hose once. It worked fine until oil and gas fume plus heat soften the rubber line to a point where it would collapse during high engine vacuum, cut off vacuum to the MAP sensor, resulting in false signal from MAP sensor to ECM making the motor cut off during deceleration. If and when you replace MAP sensor hose replace with OEM hose.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Get notified of new replies

To 1995 ZR-1 Check Engine Light

Quick Reply: 1995 ZR-1 Check Engine Light