Sponsored by:

Coupe weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 05:56 PM
joraeperkins
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coupe weatherstripping

We need to replace the weatherstripping on our C5 '04 coupe. In a recent Oregon storm, the car was parked at the airport 4 days.... driver side floor is very wet. I noticed on the pillar behind driver seat what appears to be a spill of some sort.
I searched the forum's and was unable to locate instructions on replacing the weatherstripping. It is torn on both the left and right sides, chunks are missing . So I knew it was about time to replace it.
Is this something a novice can do, or should I just take it to my local bodyshop?
Also, do I need to remove the seat and remove the carpets? Or will shopvacing out the water work?
Old 10-24-2016, 02:35 AM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Most important thing you can do is not cheap out. The OEM strips are very expensive but nothing else on the market will seal. Yes, you can easily do it yourself. Shop-vac it and leave it wide open for a day and it should be fine.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:37 PM
jadoux
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

@joraeperkins
I am into your same boat and have done all the research required, in an hour time you will be able to replace everything that needs to be replaced to stop the leakage,
Although I agree with reath1 that OEM is probably better, but I opted for after market as it was more reasonably priced, and many fellows have recommended it
the part numbers you will require are the following:
10329158 = Weatherstrip Seal Targa Top Rear
10313370, 10313371 = Side Weatherstrip Seals Targa Top (right & left)

I recommend you use 3M 08008 Weatherstrip Adhesive tube

The instructions on how to do it are attached on the following links, i took it from GM service manuals for you

Lift Off Panel Weatherstrip Replacement

Rear Lift Window Panel Weatherstrip Replacement

Please make sure that you clean thoroughly during the process, if some old weatherstrip leftovers refuse to be removed, heat it with a hairdryer or a heatgun, there are clips / screws which might need to be removed, make sure you don't lose them or break something

I think this is gonna be a one hour job if you follow the procedures correctly

Good luck
The following 3 users liked this post by jadoux:
CorvetteBrent (07-16-2019), JohnS3 (10-25-2016), sonny557 (10-31-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 02:19 PM
JohnS3
Heel & Toe

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

Where do you buy the parts? I need to replace mine...TY!

Originally Posted by jadoux
@joraeperkins
I am into your same boat and have done all the research required, in an hour time you will be able to replace everything that needs to be replaced to stop the leakage,
Although I agree with reath1 that OEM is probably better, but I opted for after market as it was more reasonably priced, and many fellows have recommended it
the part numbers you will require are the following:
10329158 = Weatherstrip Seal Targa Top Rear
10313370, 10313371 = Side Weatherstrip Seals Targa Top (right & left)

I recommend you use 3M 08008 Weatherstrip Adhesive tube

The instructions on how to do it are attached on the following links, i took it from GM service manuals for you

Lift Off Panel Weatherstrip Replacement

Rear Lift Window Panel Weatherstrip Replacement

Please make sure that you clean thoroughly during the process, if some old weatherstrip leftovers refuse to be removed, heat it with a hairdryer or a heatgun, there are clips / screws which might need to be removed, make sure you don't lose them or break something

I think this is gonna be a one hour job if you follow the procedures correctly

Good luck
Old 10-25-2016, 02:53 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by joraeperkins
We need to replace the weatherstripping on our C5 '04 coupe. In a recent Oregon storm, the car was parked at the airport 4 days.... driver side floor is very wet. I noticed on the pillar behind driver seat what appears to be a spill of some sort.
I searched the forum's and was unable to locate instructions on replacing the weatherstripping. It is torn on both the left and right sides, chunks are missing . So I knew it was about time to replace it.
Is this something a novice can do, or should I just take it to my local bodyshop?
Also, do I need to remove the seat and remove the carpets? Or will shopvacing out the water work?
I know this all too well. I went cheap and got the Metro Molded part and it was garbage. It not only didn't fit well, it was full of defects and has since come apart in 2 places in less than a year.

I bought my OE seal from GMPartshouse and will have it installed by Rose City Sunroof in Portland. Right now I just have a waterproof cover over my car and shamwow's behind the seat (my driveway is sloped so it pools behind the seat).

<edit> http://www.gmpartshouse.com/oe-gm/10329158 $213.22

Last edited by 66dts-v; 10-25-2016 at 02:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (07-16-2019)
Old 10-26-2016, 07:08 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Might want to check the door drains and the seal inside the door. If there is/was an obvious water trail near where the two interior trim pieces meet (around the seat tilt lever), it is possible the door drains are plugged *and* the rectangular door seal (behind the panel, about where your elbow sits on the armrest) is cracked or broken. If the door cannot drain, then the water back up inside the door. When it reaches the inside the door seal, if that is broken/cracked, it will over flow into the interior.

Find the "notch" in the door jamb. It matches the drain hole in the bottom of the door. One in the front, one in the back.

Also check the drain channel at the rear of the b pillar.
JohnS3 (10-26-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 08:49 AM
jadoux
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310776588172

Not sure about the quality but seller is known for good aftermarket products
JohnS3 (10-28-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 12:23 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 66dts-v
I know this all too well. I went cheap and got the Metro Molded part and it was garbage. It not only didn't fit well, it was full of defects and has since come apart in 2 places in less than a year.

I bought my OE seal from GMPartshouse and will have it installed by Rose City Sunroof in Portland. Right now I just have a waterproof cover over my car and shamwow's behind the seat (my driveway is sloped so it pools behind the seat).

<edit> http://www.gmpartshouse.com/oe-gm/10329158 $213.22
hmmm, interesting, I've read reviews here that were positive of Metro...
Old 10-28-2016, 01:23 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

Originally Posted by oh1vette
hmmm, interesting, I've read reviews here that were positive of Metro...
I can post pictures of the fit and finish if you'd like. Metro sent me a replacement that I sent back to the seller and got a refund. Not only did it not fit correctly, there were blisters/bubbles and other manufacturing defects.

Also, there is a seam in the corner that separated and it isn't even a year old.

When I installed it, I saw issues and contacted the seller (ebay). He requested pics and said he would contact Metro. After a month and no word, I contacted Metro myself and they requested pics. So I sent them the same pics and they sent me the new seal. I didn't even open the box, I just sent it to the seller.

The seller tried to first not give me a refund because it was past 30 days. Then they tried to charge me a 25% restocking fee. After I threatened to sue for the damage to my car due to a faulty seal, they agreed to a full refund.

Some things are better off OE. Maybe they have improved, this was a year ago that I bought mine. But the Metro seal leaked worse than the old OE seal did.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:10 PM
JohnS3
Heel & Toe

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

Please send pics! Has anyone tried Fairchild WX strips? http://fairchildindustries.com/item/...rolet-corvette
Old 10-28-2016, 05:03 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

JohnS3 (10-28-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 05:07 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

I have some other pictures that show how it doesn't quite fit with the interior piece along the halo as well. The last picture you can see there is a tear in the seal, this was out of the box like that. Quality.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:03 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Wow - sounds like to be safe gotta go oem then....thanks for the info was about to pull the trigger with Metro
Old 10-28-2016, 07:19 PM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 66dts-v
I can post pictures of the fit and finish if you'd like. Metro sent me a replacement that I sent back to the seller and got a refund. Not only did it not fit correctly, there were blisters/bubbles and other manufacturing defects.

Also, there is a seam in the corner that separated and it isn't even a year old.

When I installed it, I saw issues and contacted the seller (ebay). He requested pics and said he would contact Metro. After a month and no word, I contacted Metro myself and they requested pics. So I sent them the same pics and they sent me the new seal. I didn't even open the box, I just sent it to the seller.

The seller tried to first not give me a refund because it was past 30 days. Then they tried to charge me a 25% restocking fee. After I threatened to sue for the damage to my car due to a faulty seal, they agreed to a full refund.

Some things are better off OE. Maybe they have improved, this was a year ago that I bought mine. But the Metro seal leaked worse than the old OE seal did.
I installed the Metro parts on my car last spring. They fit great, sealed excellent, and stopped 95% of the leaks I had. Sorry you experience wasn't as good.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:16 AM
66dts-v
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ron C!
I installed the Metro parts on my car last spring. They fit great, sealed excellent, and stopped 95% of the leaks I had. Sorry you experience wasn't as good.
Did yours look like mine? What did you use to seal it? Here is where it separated on the passenger side.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:47 AM
Ron C!
Safety Car

I used a bit of black 3M per instructions. So far, I have had no issues. The car sits outside here in central FL and has had no deterioration.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:09 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

The driver side has separated at the same seam as well. It was a disaster, but I learned. Glad it worked for you, maybe mine was b stock or an early batch. I only paid $120 I think, but the defects were all over it. I never should have put it on.

Get notified of new replies

To Coupe weatherstripping

Old 07-15-2019, 12:41 PM
reneeautumn
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another source for oem part # 10329158 on ebay is GM parts America 7/15/2019 price 223 + tx and shipping $261 compared to gmpartshouse(aka coltrag) price as of 7/15/2019 $291 incl ship no tax charged...GM parts america has brick and morter location in Scottsdale AZ. ph. # 866-374 -2624 aka Van Chev. ..good luck to everyone...hope this helps
Old 07-15-2019, 05:31 PM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ron C!
3 years later, the Metro pieces are trashed. They did last longer than the off-shore junk I bought before, but now the car whistles and leaks.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:17 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

I know OEM W/S prices are outrageous but there is no substitute.

Quick Reply: Coupe weatherstripping