C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 Corvette Side Exhaust Insulation Access

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 06:55 PM
Heeia1
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 66 Corvette Side Exhaust Insulation Access

I am looking for guidance on how to refresh the visible fiberglass insulation through the slots on my factory side exhaust outer shell. I understand the fiberglass insulation is adhesively attached to the inside of the outer shell. I need to refresh the fiberglass color visible through the slots since it is partially black and partially white within each slot. If I cannot easily separate the fiberglass, I have considered using a small brush to go through the slots. If I paint the fiberglass, is there a recommendation for proper paint?
I do not want to remove the insulation as some have. I have accidently put my bare leg against the outer shell after a hard drive and it is only warm so nice safety factor.
Thanks in advance for any good tips.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:21 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 929 Likes on 531 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I've never had or seen one of these apart so I don't understand the white spots in the fiberglass. Maybe someone will chime in that can answer you.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:40 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,949 Posts

As you noted they are held in place with adhesive. If it doesn't appear they were overly generous with the adhesive you might be able to soften it with a heat gun and gently separate it with a plastic tool. They can be re-installed with JB Weld. It's hard to say how this will work out as they may have come loose with a previous owner and re-glued by them with who-knows-what.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:33 PM
Heeia1
Cruising

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
As you noted they are held in place with adhesive. If it doesn't appear they were overly generous with the adhesive you might be able to soften it with a heat gun and gently separate it with a plastic tool. They can be re-installed with JB Weld. It's hard to say how this will work out as they may have come loose with a previous owner and re-glued by them with who-knows-what.
Thanks Dan. I appreciate your input. Sounds like a safe approach.
Heeia1
Old 10-26-2016, 02:43 PM
Sam Kalmuk
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 76 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Side-Pipe Insulation

Is this Side-Pipe Insulation being reproduced anywhere....?
I haven't seen any advertised....
Old 10-26-2016, 05:53 PM
Heeia1
Cruising

Originally Posted by Sam Kalmuk
Is this Side-Pipe Insulation being reproduced anywhere....?
I haven't seen any advertised....
Thanks Sam. I just checked Ecklers' and they sell them $79.99 for a pair. At that price, maybe I will just buy new ones instead of trying to paint the old. Either way, I would have to remove them from the outer shell so maybe I will try Dan's suggestion above to remove and then see if feasible to recolor and if not, replace with new.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:51 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

I had the inner liner separate from the outer cover once, so I had to glue it back. I think the white part you're seeing may be the glue that spread and seeped out too far and into the opening. Mine were like that. Since mine were loose, I took them off and scraped away the old glue and then glued them back in place - so far they're still holding. I can't remember what adhesive I used, but I'm guessing it was JB Weld or another generic epoxy...
The following users liked this post:
Heeia1 (10-27-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 10:48 AM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I have replaced those insulators before with some kind of epoxy. I then installed a larger set of those Classic Chambered Vettepacks, and the insulators were making contact and rattling. I removed the insulators and painted the side pipes black. You wouldn't notice the insulators being gone unless you looked closely. The side pipe covers haven't gotten warm enough to burn anybody's legs.

Gerry
The following users liked this post:
Heeia1 (10-27-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To 66 Corvette Side Exhaust Insulation Access

Quick Reply: 66 Corvette Side Exhaust Insulation Access