Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Grand Sport. My next track car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:58 PM
srproductions
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6 Grand Sport. My next track car?

It's been a few years since I got rid of my C5 Z06 track car. I owned and tracked a couple different cars in between those years including a Spec Miata, S2000 race car, and currently a Cayman S and a 300HP Miata (Honda K24 engine).

With 5 cars currently in the household, I'm looking to downsize the Miata and Cayman to 1 car I can use on the track and as a weekend car.

The C5 Z06 market seems to have risen a little since I got rid of mine. Experience wise, I'm a instructor and have been tracking for 11 years now. To get a C5 to the level I expect for heavy track use, I would need a trans cooler, diff cooler, radiator, oil cooler, SKF hubs, harness bar, seat, harness, big brake kit, Turn One PS, and upgraded suspension. I figure I can purchase a car like that for around $25k or build one for around $27-28k starting with a stock Z06 and buying used components.

After looking at a number of Grand Sport cars available for low 30's, it seems this would be a better option. The GS comes equipped with all the coolers. It is a fairly modern car so I suspect I maybe happy with the suspension for a while so need to upgrade here. It seems the reliability for the dry sump LS3 is fairly strong with the only required upgrade on the GS being a big brake kit. I figure I can get into a GS for few grand more then a setup C5Z and just install the safety gear and brakes to be ready to go. Ultimately, it is a significantly nicer and newer car in the process.

Am I missing anything as far as C6 GS track reliability?

I'd appreciate any inputs or thoughts on this decision.

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
dowroa (10-28-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 10:31 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

If you're looking to keep the thing stockish and reliable and it's only a few grand difference I would go with the Grandsport for sure.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:06 PM
srproductions
Instructor

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
If you're looking to keep the thing stockish and reliable and it's only a few grand difference I would go with the Grandsport for sure.
Eventually take it past the stockish level. Coilovers and aero down the line. I don't see much else the GS would need. Not interested in more power.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:27 AM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Out of the 11 things you listed to upgrade on the C5Z, buying the C6 would negate just the coolers. You'd still need a BBK, harness, seat, SKF hubs, harness bar, seat and upgraded suspension. Brake ducting will probably be needed on both.

Btw, I'd want the C6 too . The push-button start is awesome .
Old 10-25-2016, 07:17 AM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

My 2011 GS was a great track car, very reliable.

It had harness bar, harnesses, race seats, zr1 splitter, zr1 spoiler, tow hook, Castrol brake fluid, brake duct kit and AP racing calipers. Ran r888s and r6.

I ran about the same times with it (mid ohio) as I've been able to extract out of my 2015 c7 z51 so far.

The C6 GS is a good track car!
Old 10-25-2016, 10:45 AM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Go with the manual GS. Also worth its weight is the dry sump system. I thought your name looked familiar (Mt.net)

TCE sells a cheap Wilwoods setup if you want to ditch the padlets OEM calipers.

Last edited by chpmnsws6; 10-25-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:09 AM
srproductions
Instructor

When I had my old Z06 I was not driving anywhere near the pace I am now. I didn't have any issues with the cars I had. Its been a few years now and I've really honed in my driving progressing up through slow cars.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...k-a-vette.html

I read this thread about and it scares me getting back into a C5 Z06 at the speeds I'm driving now. It seems guys are losing motors, breaking transmissions, power steering issues, diff issues, torque tube, and the list goes on.

Did they strengthen and upgrade everything by 2010 when the GS came out? My research shows the TR6060 is considerably stronger but all the stuff I read was from drag guys, not road racers.

Has anyone here been running a GS hard for a few years now? I'd love to know some of the long term concerns of a heavily track GS.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:23 AM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

You will have very few issues. Braking will be about your only and that's an easy fix. The stick GS is a factory track rat.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:20 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
Out of the 11 things you listed to upgrade on the C5Z, buying the C6 would negate just the coolers. You'd still need a BBK, harness, seat, SKF hubs, harness bar, seat and upgraded suspension. Brake ducting will probably be needed on both.

Btw, I'd want the C6 too . The push-button start is awesome .

Have ~ 60 track days on my GS and driving it in anger requires all of the above and a little aero. The front-end lift at speed will only have to happen once, and it will, for you to want to add a splitter, side skirts and a spoiler. For me, the BBK is largely a convenience issue, via thicker pads and significantly easier pad change. I still get about the same tapering with Wilwood W6As. So BBK not critical but I like anyone that has added one, kicks themselves for not doing it sooner.

Even just putzing around the track you will find the stock suspension inadequate or wholly inadequate. Shocks and sways significantly open the performance envelope.

The stock seat gave me radial tunnel syndrome from having to hold onto to the steering wheel (with angel wings) while cornering. Other additions: SS brake lines and a camber kit, brake cooling is a must, a CAI and a good tune should get HP/TQ up to the stock C7 levels which you will notice and appreciate. I have added a few other items you may/may not consider e.g., a tunnel reinforcement plate, 160* stat, APR studs when added the SKFs, bushings.

Reliability has been quite good. So far, only needed to replace the steering rack, springs, TPMS sensor, harmonic balancer, one tie rod and several windshields.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:45 PM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

A buddy of mine runs crazy fast laps in a mildly modded C6 GS and I struggle to hang with him with my similarly equipped C6 Z06. I still love my Z but a GS is definitely a good track car platform.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:05 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

How's the K24 Miata? After I sold my turbo miata I stopped keeping up with things, but the K24 swaps seemed very promising. 300hp naturally aspirated in a Miata seems like a perfect combo.

or swap that combo into an Exocet!!
Old 10-27-2016, 02:13 PM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

Originally Posted by bigmackloud
How's the K24 Miata? After I sold my turbo miata I stopped keeping up with things, but the K24 swaps seemed very promising. 300hp naturally aspirated in a Miata seems like a perfect combo.

or swap that combo into an Exocet!!
I ended up selling my Exocet chassis and ls swap gear to get into this blown c6
Old 10-28-2016, 10:25 AM
dowroa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP, thank you for posting this, as I am in about the same situation and have arrived at about the same answer (LS3 replacements are also cheaper than the LS7).

I personally have not found a lot of information about the dry sump on the LS3 (yet) doing well on TW200+ tires (still searching).

Honestly, if the oiling and cooling work well for 20-30 min sessions from the factory, those are the biggest "worries" I have. Solving those keep me going and on the track.

I appreciate the thread and the responses!

- brian

Last edited by dowroa; 10-28-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:52 AM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Camaro v6 with 1LE package released for 2017 FYI

Solid track car for under $35K new. Pretty tempting for a second owner vehicle after first 2 years depreciation..assuming first owner didn't run it into the ground.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:24 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by dowroa
OP, thank you for posting this, as I am in about the same situation and have arrived at about the same answer (LS3 replacements are also cheaper than the LS7).

I personally have not found a lot of information about the dry sump on the LS3 (yet) doing well on TW200+ tires (still searching).

Honestly, if the oiling and cooling work well for 20-30 min sessions from the factory, those are the biggest "worries" I have. Solving those keep me going and on the track.

I appreciate the thread and the responses!

- brian
Read my mind. I am also looking for the answers to those exact questions after reaching the same conclusion.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Grand Sport. My next track car?

Quick Reply: C6 Grand Sport. My next track car?