C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

MSD Opti-Spark Rant!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 10:21 PM
BlackHarleyMan
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default MSD Opti-Spark Rant!

So,
I have a NICE healthy LT4 motor, that I put major time, money, effort and only the BEST parts, and after a few months of actual use this MSD state of the art, best of the best, POS craps out on me again.

During a complete restoration of Grand Sport #91, rklessdriver wanted to freshened up the motor after experiancing the first MSD Opti-Spark failure.
[ Original Build Thread here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-pictures.html ]

In the build thread this was stated about the MSD Opti brand new out of the box:

Will (rklessdriver) was aware of the issues with the MSD opti's so he decided to ensure that the internals were good. Once he opened it up he realized that the screws holding the rotor were not tight at all, and behind the cover we found a victim.

It appears to be a dead Mosquito.

Once together, the motor ran strong but suffered a MSD failure, fortunate for me MSD repaired the failure for free but at the cost of my motor being down hard. Because of this MSD failure, Will decided that it would be a good time to freshen the motor up for the Grand Sport restoration.

After 5 years of sitting in shops undergoing restoration and repairs, I finally put 500 miles on the car before the MSD failed again.

Upon opening up the cover on the MSD:

It appears that the screws backed out on the rotor and the rest is history.

When the first failure happened MSD rebuilt the unit, this failure will cost me $112.00 because it's been five years (according to Alex at MSD, since the repair). Never mind the less than 500 miles of usage, but it's been 5 years since they rebuilt it. I understand that some manufactures won't and can't stand behind their products to last forever, but the reason that I chose MSD is because of their race presence, and "apparent" reputation.

I recently had the pleasure of spending time with close to 60 Grand Sports during FunFest last month. The amazing fact is that a significant number of these cars never have had to touch the opti, so WHY does MSD feel that their product is engineered to a suitable standard at a price point that is double the cost of a remanufactured AC Delco unit.

So in closing, I will say I don't think MSD is a bad company I do believe that they make a SHITTY Opti-Spark. So to my fellow LT owners, I HIGHLY recommend that you stay away from the MSD Opti, it has been nothing but trouble from day one and you would be much better off with the proven AC delco reman for ½ the price of this billet POS. High horsepower performance motors don't need MSD to run hard, they just need reliability.

Thank you for your time

Noland Smith, Jr.
STSC(SS) USN Ret.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:46 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackHarleyMan
High horsepower performance motors don't need MSD to run hard, they just need reliability.
And feel that way about ALL their products.

Sorry for your difficulties, but thanks for posting an honest review.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:34 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

I locktight the cap and rotor.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:44 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

another in a LONG line of posts about disappointing MSD products, especially Optis, sorry about your experience and having paid a PREMIUM for such substandard performance must be a double disappointment.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:00 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

The distributor was disassembled , reassembled , and some screws backed out . Someone should have used some Loctite and longer screws .
Old 10-25-2016, 10:37 AM
BlackHarleyMan
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C409
The distributor was disassembled , reassembled , and some screws backed out . Someone should have used some Loctite and longer screws .
It's a little more complicated and technical than that, but YES loctite was used, and I stated that screws backed out when it was only one screw that was no longer seated.

Noland
Old 10-25-2016, 12:19 PM
druz06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

After my MSD was bad on my '96 Impala it was back to an AC Delco Opti and a spare in the trunk for me Nice idea but it pissed me off after my engine build,trans,rear, and full suspension too. Many friends went to the relocation or away with the opti now.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:23 PM
tpi1986
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok. Now you've got my attention. I literally just installed the entire MSD line in my 92 last night, distributor, coil, 6AL. Course waiting on a harness adapter for the 92, that MSD neglected to tell me about.

We have 4 drag cars in the family. My 73 Vette, two dragsters, spritzer and a neil & parks and then the top sportsman car. All of them are MSD everything. Never once had a problem with any of the products. Thus my reasoning for buy MSD on our drag cars. Now, after hearing about Opti spark and a MSD not working out so well and seing yours, I am a little worried.

Heck it was 1100 plus for system I bought for the 92.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:43 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

ive been on here screaming and yelling about it for years now...

the only optispark that anyone should be using is the oem one. did your 92-94 oem opti fail? you need to add a vent to make it 100 % reliable.

i still laugh at the people who replace their working fine oem optispark, just as insurance, with a non -oem unit and have it then fail.

msd was sold 10 years ago or so to some investment group who is just using the name to sell products. the products are garbage can grade - save for a few old designs that may have not been bastardized yet.

oem optisparks are hard to come by, but you can go to junkyards (it was used on a few cars, not just corvette).

also sometimes you get lucky on ebay, you will find one that someone had as a spare

good luck
Old 10-25-2016, 03:02 PM
tpi1986
Racer

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
ive been on here screaming and yelling about it for years now...

the only optispark that anyone should be using is the oem one. did your 92-94 oem opti fail? you need to add a vent to make it 100 % reliable.

i still laugh at the people who replace their working fine oem optispark, just as insurance, with a non -oem unit and have it then fail.

msd was sold 10 years ago or so to some investment group who is just using the name to sell products. the products are garbage can grade - save for a few old designs that may have not been bastardized yet.

oem optisparks are hard to come by, but you can go to junkyards (it was used on a few cars, not just corvette).

also sometimes you get lucky on ebay, you will find one that someone had as a spare

good luck
My new MSD does look a little different than the photos above. It has vented lines. One goes to vacuum line and another for fresh air.

Yes, my factory one had failed. Didn't look to old either. The previous owner had a book literally about 8" thick recording every single thing he had done to the car. This appears to be the 3rd "factory" opti spark its had.

Honestly, I can't think of anyone I know who's had any MSD products fail in racing. I tried a mallory system a few years back and it lasted two runs before the module failed. We run a crank trigger on our 632 in our top sportsman car. The others are 85551 with the usual parts. 7AL2 Plus and blaster, 2 Steps, one has a 3 Step. If there have been issues with MSD, its news to me. I certainly have not had any issues. Now that I say that, it probably a certainty that the opti version I bought will crash.

Granted I didn't really ask around to much on the Opti. So in my world, it seemed like a good choice from what my experience has been. Guess I will find out. I would certainly be pissed if what happened above, happens to me!
Old 10-25-2016, 03:17 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

IMO, you've got just as good a chance of having long life from the MSD as ANY; they're all a crap-shoot, IMO.

My issue w/MSD is that you're paying a premium price. To me, that implies premium quality...but the unofficial stats that we see on this forum seem to be that the MSD units don't do any better than any other. If I'm paying an MSD price...I darn well want a bullet proof, infinite life, distributor.

So in reality, I think you're MSD has just as good a chance of "lasting" as my NAPA unit has/does.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:15 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by tpi1986
Ok. Now you've got my attention. I literally just installed the entire MSD line in my 92 last night, distributor, coil, 6AL. Course waiting on a harness adapter for the 92, that MSD neglected to tell me about.

We have 4 drag cars in the family. My 73 Vette, two dragsters, spritzer and a neil & parks and then the top sportsman car. All of them are MSD everything. Never once had a problem with any of the products. Thus my reasoning for buy MSD on our drag cars. Now, after hearing about Opti spark and a MSD not working out so well and seing yours, I am a little worried.

Heck it was 1100 plus for system I bought for the 92.
FYI I just installed a 6AL-2 (2 step) on my 1992 with a cheap SacCity Opti. I did use the vented MSD cap and rotor (used loctite). The harness is plug and play. However, my tach did not work. I removed the tach filter and connected the 2 white wires.

This pass Sunday went to Island Dragway in NJ and drove from LI (approx 100 miles each way). 1992 6 speed-Stock with headers 4.11 gears 12.89 at 108 MPH.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:17 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by STEVEN13
1992 6 speed-Stock with headers 4.11 gears 12.89 at 108 MPH.
Damn...that is stout!
Old 10-25-2016, 07:54 PM
tpi1986
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Damn...that is stout!

Nice pass!
Old 10-25-2016, 07:57 PM
tpi1986
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
IMO, you've got just as good a chance of having long life from the MSD as ANY; they're all a crap-shoot, IMO.

My issue w/MSD is that you're paying a premium price. To me, that implies premium quality...but the unofficial stats that we see on this forum seem to be that the MSD units don't do any better than any other. If I'm paying an MSD price...I darn well want a bullet proof, infinite life, distributor.

So in reality, I think you're MSD has just as good a chance of "lasting" as my NAPA unit has/does.
You may ultimately be right with the opti. All I could attest to is their other products, that have been good for us. The opti seems to be a totally different beast.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:20 PM
druz06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just go OE don't miss the Optis, after the Impala SS I have had several GM LS V8s right now my 04 z06 keeps me pleased. Good luck I did not want to scare anyone my experience was almost 10 yrs ago with this.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:42 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

I have also felt the agony of Defeat with the "Premium MSD" Products. I've had two MSD 6AL Ignition boxes go weird. Didn't fail completely, but would shut off intermittently for a couple of seconds and then come back to life. Very scary when you are far from home.
I wanted the "BEST" I could get when I replaced my antifreeze murdered Opti, so I chose the high dollar MSD. The case is very impressive. Very sturdy and well built. Nice ball bearing shaft and a cap with an 'extra' hold down bolt. Too bad they filled the inside with junk electronics. The damn thing never did run right.No codes though so I chased ghosts trying to find what was making it run weak and not rev past 4800rpm. Well, It finally SMOKED and stopped. I figured if I have to replace these damn things every couple of thousand miles anyway I'd might as well just buy a couple of cheapies and have a spare on hand. Well, my 1st $100 AIP has been in there 6 years and been across country a couple of times now and I still have a new one in the box for a spare.
As far as what I think about the over priced MSD OPTI...
MSD = Makes Shitty Distributors.

Get notified of new replies

To MSD Opti-Spark Rant!

Old 10-31-2016, 09:00 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Klondike
my 1st $100 AIP has been in there 6 years...
Just went on the AIP website. All I can find there is the OEM AC Delco Opti for $385. Where is this $100 unit you have??
Old 11-01-2016, 05:29 PM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

factory delco or a petris is the ONLY option in my opinion
Old 11-01-2016, 08:35 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale
factory delco or a petris is the ONLY option in my opinion
yep. im tired of hearing 'they are all a crapshoot'.

its not a crapshoot. its a reliable design provided it has the mitsubishi optical sensor and a (working) vent system. the only thing that ever needs done is a cap/rotor change after 100+k miles

the OEM unit, with mitsubishi optical sensor, works reliably.
-and ac delco 'remanufactured' is not the same as a new old stock, or low mileage takeoff unit. the problem with the remanufactured is they do a great job replacing bearings/seals but 'recycle' the optical sensor from the base unit. and you better hope the base they rebuilt was an oem unit with mitsubishi sensor

tips
if you have a 92-94, you need to add a late model vented harness to make it reliable.

as for them being 'unobtanium':
you cAn find a new old stock takeoff on ebay.

sure you will pay $400 for it (vs. $100 for break me down on the road, or $500 for an msd also break me down on the road)

Quick Reply: MSD Opti-Spark Rant!