C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 08:28 AM
jjradtech
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Radio upgrade

I have a 2012 base coupe, with the base radio.
I am interested in upgrading my radio. I would like a unit with
Nav. and backup camera. I am not a audiophile, just a good upgrade from
the base unit. Any reccomendations?
Thanks

Last edited by jjradtech; 10-25-2016 at 08:29 AM. Reason: More info
Old 10-25-2016, 09:01 AM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

Call Dennis at Double D. Tell him what your goals are. He'll make you happy.
The following users liked this post:
bgspot (10-26-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 12:28 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Koufax
Call Dennis at Double D. Tell him what your goals are. He'll make you happy.

Here is his website:
http://www.doubledmods.com
Old 10-26-2016, 08:58 AM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

A few things to consider

The speakers are the weak link in the chain, you won't get great improvements with just a head unit upgrade.

1. it is possible to get a flat signal out of the factory setup. This would allow you to put in an upgraded amp and speakers and get great sound from the stock appearance.

2. if what you want is the infotainment setup, then Dennis is the person to go to. he can help you with a prewired kit that makes a radio replacement literally plug and play. I did this 2 years ago with a kenwood receiver and it is great.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:00 AM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

I do think that op will have an improvement over stock in sound quality with just a head unit swap. Even crap speakers will sound better with a nice, clean strong signal.
I do agree as to Dennis with Double D, he took the guesswork out of this upgrade.
The following users liked this post:
bgspot (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 10:39 AM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by RicardoFors68
I do think that op will have an improvement over stock in sound quality with just a head unit swap. Even crap speakers will sound better with a nice, clean strong signal.
I do agree as to Dennis with Double D, he took the guesswork out of this upgrade.
It depends if he does/doesn't have bose. the problem is that the Bose applies a bunch of filters (center speaker, mono rear signal, etc.) that is all done after the output of the receiver. So even if you upgrade the head unit, you won't likely get a huge SQ improvement.

That being said, it's a corvette (sports car) not a mercedes
Old 10-26-2016, 12:54 PM
bartsky
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 244 Posts

You will get an improvement in sound quality with a good head unit. I always unhook the center speaker as well.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:30 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by clearwaterms
A few things to consider

The speakers are the weak link in the chain, you won't get great improvements with just a head unit upgrade.

1. it is possible to get a flat signal out of the factory setup. This would allow you to put in an upgraded amp and speakers and get great sound from the stock appearance.

2. if what you want is the infotainment setup, then Dennis is the person to go to. he can help you with a prewired kit that makes a radio replacement literally plug and play. I did this 2 years ago with a kenwood receiver and it is great.
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
It depends if he does/doesn't have bose. the problem is that the Bose applies a bunch of filters (center speaker, mono rear signal, etc.) that is all done after the output of the receiver. So even if you upgrade the head unit, you won't likely get a huge SQ improvement.

That being said, it's a corvette (sports car) not a mercedes
I kept the factory nav HU and made a set of pre-amp output leads so I could use an aftermarket amp or two. Doing that and replacing the door speakers/adding a sub in the back I get sound quality from the factory nav 100x better then the factory speakers and amp could ever dream of delivering.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:14 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Too many ways of getting great sound. Most depend on how thick your wallet is. New speakers, new head unit, amps, subs. You can spend a few hundred or a few thousand, depending on what you want.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:22 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by bartsky
You will get an improvement in sound quality with a good head unit. I always unhook the center speaker as well.
I didn't; it sounds just like it did with the factory Nav unit.

Now I'm facing having to replace all of the speakers, and adding an amp and subs.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:46 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

The OP stated pretty clearly that "I'm not an audiophile" meaning he doesn't give a rats butt if the quality of the sound is improved one wit, and you guys all want to discuss the sound quality that he would expect by changing out the head unit, speakers and adding amps. He just wants the Nav., the backup camera and perhaps the Bluetooth connectivity for his phone. Read the guy's post!
Old 10-26-2016, 04:53 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by RagTop69
The OP stated pretty clearly that "I'm not an audiophile" meaning he doesn't give a rats butt if the quality of the sound is improved one wit, and you guys all want to discuss the sound quality that he would expect by changing out the head unit, speakers and adding amps. He just wants the Nav., the backup camera and perhaps the Bluetooth connectivity for his phone. Read the guy's post!
You do realize this is Corvette forums, right? And you expected any different?
Old 10-26-2016, 05:14 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

OP, I was looking for something similar when I upgraded my unit.

I ended up going with a Pumpkin quad-core Android 5.1 unit I got off of eBay for $250. The included GPS software works great, but I prefer Google Maps so that's what I use (along with a mobile wifi hotspot).

Since it's Android you can also install anything from the App Store. I use Waze to keep an eye on traffic/police activity. I also ordered a bluetooth OBDII reader that I pair with the Torque app to have live data for pretty much anything the car is doing.

For cameras I bought the ARECORD AR142 from Amazon ($29.99). The rear camera automatically comes on when I put the car in reverse. The front camera uses the AV in input on the head unit.

The downside to this particular unit is that it does take a minute or so to load the software when you start your car. The reverse cam still works during this time, but music will not play.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:46 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

I don't need a rear camera on a Corvette since the back end is just about at my butt. Front camera makes sense.

anyway, this solved my nav and tunes.\

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Universa...e+holder&psc=1

. I still had to get a couple of cords.

Last edited by LowRyter; 10-26-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:49 PM
mhatton222
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I changed out my stock head unit for a Kenwood from Dennis at Double D Mods. He will hook you up with everything you need in a plug and play fashion. Highly recommended and worked great for me. Good Luck
Old 10-27-2016, 08:10 PM
jjradtech
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Radio Upgrade

Ragtop69,
You are correct.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:19 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I didn't; it sounds just like it did with the factory Nav unit.

Now I'm facing having to replace all of the speakers, and adding an amp and subs.
Yeah, mine didn't either. But I was glad I did it because I got new features (nav, bluetooth, USB capability, etc.). I later added new speakers, an amp, and a sub and the sound is great now.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:45 PM
GetRidOfWires
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jjradtech
I have a 2012 base coupe, with the base radio.
I am interested in upgrading my radio. I would like a unit with
Nav. and backup camera. I am not a audiophile, just a good upgrade from
the base unit. Any reccomendations?
Thanks
I had Best Buy install a Pioneer 4100NEX and a backup camera in my 2010 GS. I have been very pleased with the 4100. It has a touch screen and CarPlay for my iPhone. (It also has Android features but I don't have an Android phone). Pioneer makes several CarPlay units with a number of features, the successor to the 4100NEX is the 4200NEX, but I think you can still get the 4100 if you look around.

One of the things I liked about the Pioneer unit is that you can buy a small microphone from Pioneer and put it in your car. The unit has an auto feature that will measure the sound in your car and set the unit specifically to your car's acoustics. I put the microphone on the driver's seat.

Last edited by GetRidOfWires; 11-02-2016 at 06:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Radio upgrade

Quick Reply: Radio upgrade