C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't Spring Mountain cars have a powertrain warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 02:47 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Default Why don't Spring Mountain cars have a powertrain warranty?

I get the practical reason why, as they're driven hard almost exclusively. Yet they still have a warranty (with a disclosure asterisk) from GM when they're sold off at the end of their use.

Since the car is designed for track use, advertised for track use, why would the warranty be invalid for track use?

Now maybe SM gets them cheaper from GM in exchange for that policy, I have no idea... but I'm curious.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by davepl; 10-25-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:53 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

I'm not sure, but I would be quite surprised if GM still kept the powertrain warranty intact after their use at Spring Mountain as "school" cars.

It was my understanding that *other* than powertrain was still offered (electronics, interior, etc)

Last time I saw a track school car for sale, that was the situation -- warranty intact *except* for powertrain.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:58 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

^^^^ That would make sense, but someone posted a used car for sale a while ago that still did have warranty, but it was disclaimed as an "officially licensed GM driving school car" or something to that effect. Could have been from somewhere other than SM I suppose.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:49 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
^^^^ That would make sense, but someone posted a used car for sale a while ago that still did have warranty, but it was disclaimed as an "officially licensed GM driving school car" or something to that effect. Could have been from somewhere other than SM I suppose.
Interesting. But if there were no warranty impact to being a driver school car, why would they have to disclose it?

Also, I didn't see the wording of that particular ad, but just because it says "warranty" doesn't necessarily mean "full warranty".

In the case of the driver's school car I looked at, the seller's ad said 'warranty', but in my initial phone contact with him, he clarified that to mean "warranty EXCLUDING powertrain".
Old 10-25-2016, 03:52 PM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 138 Posts

I have a feeling it's because of the abuse they get. When I drove them, it was over 100 degrees, and both of mine were on the brink of overheating (ran at 250 degrees and A/C would shut down) the entire time I flogged them around the course. I got great times, and the car did not fail me though!
Old 10-25-2016, 03:56 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

For a manufacturer to sell a car voiding warranty, it should be a "Branded" title, same as a Lemon Law, imop. What prevents seller #2 from not disclosing that car has no powertrain warranty, nothing.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:03 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hope2
For a manufacturer to sell a car voiding warranty, it should be a "Branded" title, same as a Lemon Law, imop. What prevents seller #2 from not disclosing that car has no powertrain warranty, nothing.
It is on the buyer to do his due diligence and verify that the car has an intact warranty before purchase, or secure, in writing from the seller, that the warranty is intact. A properly-written bill of sale can spell that out. If the seller states that the warranty is intact when, in fact, it has been voided, the buyer has legal recourse.

A branded title would last the life of the car -- why would an expired or voided warranty need to 'brand' the title for the rest of eternity for that vehicle?
Old 10-25-2016, 04:06 PM
jcrooker
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

I was at Spring Mountain last week. After some discussion, one of the instructors told us that the cars are owned by Spring Mountain and that the have NO warranty. If something breaks they fix it. Also he said that the cars are sold at a used car dealer I think he said in San Diego and on-line.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I suspect that it is because of the drivers the cars see. Taking novice drivers on the track and teaching them how to drive properly can be quite hard on the power train. Do that on a car everyday for 6 months or longer and the cars are going to see some unusual abuse. People that don't know how to shift properly, people who don't give a crap so don't treat the car properly, people who don't know how to use the throttle properly, etc.

Bill
Old 10-25-2016, 05:15 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kent1999
It is on the buyer to do his due diligence and verify that the car has an intact warranty before purchase, or secure, in writing from the seller, that the warranty is intact. A properly-written bill of sale can spell that out. If the seller states that the warranty is intact when, in fact, it has been voided, the buyer has legal recourse.

A branded title would last the life of the car -- why would an expired or voided warranty need to 'brand' the title for the rest of eternity for that vehicle?
What you say sounds good. However, couple of sellers down the line when the car is still in powertrain warranty, big mess. Who wants to go to court over a warranty? Not sure it is the buyers responsibility to "verify" that a used car has the warranty it is supposed to have. That just doesn't make sense. GM is on the hook here, imop. GM should be buying these cars back and selling them as Lemons with no warranty. Title should be branded for "eternity"
Old 10-25-2016, 05:35 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Since the car is designed for track use, advertised for track use, why would the warranty be invalid for track use?
I'm guessing GM has data on how often a normal Vette goes to the track. And a normal vette is not used on the track seven days a week every single week, like these cars are. Compared to what you or I would do, that's a tremendous amount of wear in a very short period of time. Since at Spring Mountain all days are track days, those cars have more track days than a normal vette by the time its warranty is over and probably a lot more. just like beat-up Indiana Jones in the first movie said, "It's not the years; it's the mileage!"
Old 10-25-2016, 06:25 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

What you say sounds good. However, couple of sellers down the line when the car is still in powertrain warranty, big mess. Who wants to go to court over a warranty? Not sure it is the buyers responsibility to "verify" that a used car has the warranty it is supposed to have. That just doesn't make sense. GM is on the hook here, imop. GM should be buying these cars back and selling them as Lemons with no warranty. Title should be branded for "eternity"
All used cars (at least here in WA) have to have a big disclosure on the window that indicates what warranty they have left, or if no warrantee, that the car is as-is. So it's plainly disclosed here. Hopefully everywhere, but I don't know if that's state or federal labelling.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:14 PM
hope2
Safety Car

All used cars (at least here in WA) have to have a big disclosure on the window that indicates what warranty they have left, or if no warrantee, that the car is as-is. So it's plainly disclosed here. Hopefully everywhere, but I don't know if that's state or federal labelling.
That is a federal form "Buyers Guide" if a dealer is selling it. private individual seller doesn't need to disclose anything, at least in any state I am familiar with.

Last edited by hope2; 10-25-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:44 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

That is a federal form "Buyers Guide" if a dealer is selling it. private individual seller doesn't need to disclose anything, at least in any state I am familiar with.
Ah, so you mean buying a car from a private individual where you -think- the factory warranty still applies but it doesn't? That's a good point, I know I've only ever checked into that once, and it was for an extended warranty, but I always "just assumed" on the basic factory warranty.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:45 PM
muthangya
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have an answer as to why, but I was researching and considering purchasing one of the Spring Mountain Driving School cars. I figured I could just purchase the GMEPP. However, after speaking to Dennis Fichtner, I was advised that many of the vehicle's components are blocked from warranty coverage and will remain blocked even with the GMEPP. Just fyi if you are considering the purchase of one of these former driving school vehicles.
Attached Images  

Last edited by muthangya; 10-25-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:16 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I suspect that it is because of the drivers the cars see. Taking novice drivers on the track and teaching them how to drive properly can be quite hard on the power train. Do that on a car everyday for 6 months or longer and the cars are going to see some unusual abuse. People that don't know how to shift properly, people who don't give a crap so don't treat the car properly, people who don't know how to use the throttle properly, etc.

Bill
I can see why they would not have a powertrain warranty.

Get notified of new replies

To Why don't Spring Mountain cars have a powertrain warranty?

Quick Reply: Why don't Spring Mountain cars have a powertrain warranty?