C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Friend with Z06 wants feedback on shops

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 05:27 PM
Adam Silver05
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Friend with Z06 wants feedback on shops

My friend with a stock M7 Z06 (Z07) wants feedback on shops. All advertising boasts success stories. Need the full story on 1st hand experience with specific shops on upgrades that included a cam swap on LT4. Feel free to PM if not comfortable posting. Not all shops are created equal. My friend is going to do 90% street (some in Mexico) along with 1/2 mile and standing mile. Might do the occasional 1/4 mile and wants to be able to do the rare HPDE. The shops we us seem to be (in no order) Fasterproms, Redline, Vengeance. I guess he could ship out to someplace like Race Proven Motorsports or ECS but that adds expense, complications and a long way to go if there are any issues after the work.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:29 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

PCM of NC just did a cam, both blower pulley's, Kooks headers and off road cross pipe, and a Halltech CAI and of course a custom tune on my 2016 Z06. I'm very happy with it. I haven't had a chance to run it at any track yet, but as I type this it's on a truck headed to SEMA and the OUSCI so I will have lots to advise you on shortly. The dyno shows that the cam we chose is working great at the job we hoped for. It makes just under 700 ft lbs at 3500 all the way to 6500 which works great in a full weight street car. HP came in at 633.

Last edited by Thomasmoto; 10-25-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:22 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

I'm biased here so let me state that up front but.....my closest friend owns a performance shop that has built many dedicated race cars, 1/4, roll race, and some HPDE as well (including a couple of Z06's).

watch some of my videos if you want to get a feel for the guy behind the scenes. he's an honest business man and a great family man who is passionate about GM performance and his reputation.

he just bought a new C7Z as well.. he currently has a customer who has purchased multiple specialty corvettes and porsches, etc working out exactly what modifications his new C7 Z07 will get and he resides in TN.

shipping cost is what it is but make sure you pick the shop. it's make or break for your buddy like you said he wants it done right..

PS, my buddy has shipped C7's overseas as well fully built. enjoy

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 10-25-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:26 PM
entrenched
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I just got my car back from LMR in Houston and couldn't have been happier with the experience, professionalism, and timeliness of the install. I had the LMR 800 package installed and it took exactly 1 week and has been great albeit I've only had it back for 10 days.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:35 PM
Adam Silver05
Racer

16/C7Z, I can't tell which shop that is.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:36 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,228 Likes on 775 Posts

if going to the FL area send it to lashway, if GA than vengeance. if you are looking to get any of our lt4 parts let us know as we have pulley's and heat exchangers on the shelf
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
480-359-5914

Old 10-25-2016, 10:59 PM
Adam Silver05
Racer

Has anyone used Katech for a substantial modification including a cam on an LT4?
Old 10-26-2016, 11:06 AM
0Daniel@Vengeance
Former Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

We're happy to assist if we can on this! Have him reach out to me at david@vengeanceracing.net or call us here at the shop and we can get something setup for him.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:54 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Adam Silver05
Has anyone used Katech for a substantial modification including a cam on an LT4?
Have not used them, but if you are from that area, they have a great reputation. They used to build engines for the C7.R race cars. A search for "Katech" in the performance forums here will show you what they can do.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ngine-out.html

Last edited by jim2092; 10-26-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Silver05
My friend is going to do 90% street (some in Mexico) along with 1/2 mile and standing mile. Might do the occasional 1/4 mile and wants to be able to do the rare HPDE.
Just remember this. What works for a stab and steer car can be different for a car meant to do HPDEs. They focus on different things. Stab and steer looks at short time period power production while road course mods lean more toward increasing smoothness, smoothing throttle response so the throttle can be modulated properly and reliability mods. You usually don't see a high HP mods since they reduce reliability, tend to increase engine heating. There is a big difference between running at WOT max power for a minute or less Vs running at or near WOT for 20 minutes. Not every shop can produce a car that can do both reliably for an extended time.

10 days ago I was instructing a student with an 84 Mustang that had been modified with a Turbo for drag racing. It had 3:73 gears in it and had tremendous acceleration when he got into the throttle. The big problem was the tremendous acceleration occurred at the wrong time which made the car a bear to handle coming out of turns. The off throttle response was just as bad. When ever he got too much acceleration he would lift and would get some pretty severe engine braking which would take weight off the rear wheels causing more handling issues. The throttle was so touchy he wasn't able to develop the skill to modulate it over the two days we rode together. The car had been a great drag car but it was a **** poor road course car and was going to take some expensive mods to make it survivable. Notice I said survivable, that means there was a larger potential for bodily harm to the occupants than a stock or properly setup road course car.

Bill
Old 10-26-2016, 10:34 PM
SCOTT280@CENTURYLINK
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 15 A8 Katech stage 3 package, 2" Kooks X pipe, no cats.
Look up package specs on their web site.
The car is amazing, scary fast.
Customer service with Jason is second to none.
The lengths they go to validate a package is second to none.
Their pedigree speaks for itself, they are endurance racing engine builders.
Get the best of the best for that price was a steal.
Its worth the peace of mind wherever you live, whatever the shipping cost.

Get notified of new replies

To Friend with Z06 wants feedback on shops

Quick Reply: Friend with Z06 wants feedback on shops