Sponsored by:

Lucked out!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 06:51 PM
Redhook98
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Lucked out!

I have put about 2500 miles on my 73 since I got it a year ago. Had 18k when I bought it. Never a lick of problem. Drove it to work today with no issues. I stopped to get the mail on the way into the driveway and then pulled in. Noticed immediately the growing puddle of tranny fluid coming from the front. Upon looking, I see the short piece of rubber hose coming from the lower tranny cooler fitting in the radiator had all but come apart. The layers had become separated due to oil intrusion between the layers of rubber in the hose. Last time it was in the air, it all looked good. After tracing the drips back down the road, it started about 100 before my driveway. Once it got into the driveway it was a steady stream. If this would have happened even a mile out, I probably would have roasted my tranny. Doh!
Old 10-25-2016, 09:04 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Redhook98
I have put about 2500 miles on my 73 since I got it a year ago. Had 18k when I bought it. Never a lick of problem. Drove it to work today with no issues. I stopped to get the mail on the way into the driveway and then pulled in. Noticed immediately the growing puddle of tranny fluid coming from the front. Upon looking, I see the short piece of rubber hose coming from the lower tranny cooler fitting in the radiator had all but come apart. The layers had become separated due to oil intrusion between the layers of rubber in the hose. Last time it was in the air, it all looked good. After tracing the drips back down the road, it started about 100 before my driveway. Once it got into the driveway it was a steady stream. If this would have happened even a mile out, I probably would have roasted my tranny. Doh!
Might be a good idea to take the time now to replace all of the other rubber hoses since they might be just as old.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:00 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
Might be a good idea to take the time now to replace all of the other rubber hoses since they might be just as old.
Be sure to check sections of the fuel line that are rubber hose/mine cracked and bumps in the road would cause it to drip.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:43 AM
Redhook98
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks. I think that will be my winter project. I forget that it is all 43 years old.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:29 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I did the same thing when my power steering started to leak, replaced them all. Since then I replaced all my radiator hoses and heating hoses just to be sure. Age isnt always on our side. Tires too!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Lucked out!

Quick Reply: Lucked out!