C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rally wheel questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 09:19 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Rally wheel questions

Does anybody make a good reproduction 15x8 rally wheel with the CORRECT size hole in the center? The ones that I've found all have 3 inch diameter center holes which isn't correct, it puts all the weight of the vehicle on the lug nut studs instead of on the axle lips which isn't safe. The axle lips are supposed to carry the weight of the car, not the lug nut studs. Those incorrect aftermarket wheels are "lug centric", meaning, they use the lug nut studs to center the wheels on the axles instead of being "hub centric" which centers the wheels on the axle lips like it's supposed to be. The lug nut studs aren't supposed to be used to center the wheels on the axles and they aren't supposed to carry the weight of the car, the axle lips are supposed to do that stuff. Factory original "hub centric" rally wheels have a 2-3/4 inch hole in the center which fits snugly on the axle lips. The price that people are asking for used original rally's on ebay is in the stupid zone and you have no way of knowing if they're bent until after you buy them and receive them. I don't want to take the chance of getting bent rims nor do I want to pay big money for correct date codes and "AZ" letter stampings because I don't care about date codes and letters. I'm not trying to build a "100% correct" trailer queen show car, all I want is a good, unbent, non-rusty set of 15x8 rally's for my 69. With that being said, does anybody make a good reproduction set of 15x8 corvette rally wheels with a 2-3/4 inch diameter center hole?
Old 10-26-2016, 12:29 AM
TheGreek!
Pro

Anybody?
Old 10-26-2016, 07:11 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Have you checked the Parts For Sale forum? Why settle for reproductions?

Last edited by Easy Mike; 10-26-2016 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:59 AM
TheGreek!
Pro

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Have you checked the Parts For Sale forum? Why settle for reproductions?
Every time I've bought used steel wheels at least one of them was bent. I don't want to risk going through that anymore. Besides, a like new unbent set of originals with lug nut holes that aren't egged out are going to cost a fortune and I just plain don't want to spend the kind of money that a perfect set of originals is going to cost. I'd rather have a brand new set of reproductions for half the cost. Like I said in my first post, I don't care about date codes and stuff, all I want is a new set of reproduction 8 inch wide rally wheels with a 2-3/4 inch hole in the center.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:24 AM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

call the vendors and have them measure the hole, most wheels will probably be made by the same company anyway, just sold to everyone to resale.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:43 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

You can get hub centric ring spacers.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:49 AM
TheGreek!
Pro

Originally Posted by bashcraft
You can get hub centric ring spacers.
Yeah I know but that's an added expense that I'm trying to avoid, I'd rather just have wheels with the correct size center hole.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:54 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TheGreek!
Yeah I know but that's an added expense that I'm trying to avoid, I'd rather just have wheels with the correct size center hole.
They're cheap. Like $10 for a set of 4.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:41 AM
TheGreek!
Pro

Originally Posted by bashcraft
They're cheap. Like $10 for a set of 4.
I've never seen them for that cheap, are they made of plastic? Either way I would still rather have wheels with the correct size center hole instead of having to use the spacers, does anybody know if aftermarket rally's with a 2-3/4 inch hole are available and if so who has them?
Old 10-26-2016, 09:56 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Hunt eBay and Craigslist for originals. I think most of us have a full set or a couple laying around, you'll just have to put a set together. Sandblast and powder coat and you'll be into them for @$50-$70 a wheel not including chrome.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:03 AM
shenango
Racer

Received 365 Likes on 140 Posts

Try Bair's Corvette in Linesville, PA. Their catalog lists 8" rally wheels to fit 69-82 for $79.00. This price is for rim only, rings and caps are separate. They specialize in correct parts for original restoration. Web is www.bairscorvette.com and phone is 1-800-421-9644
Old 10-26-2016, 10:09 AM
TheGreek!
Pro

Originally Posted by hugie82
Hunt eBay and Craigslist for originals. I think most of us have a full set or a couple laying around, you'll just have to put a set together. Sandblast and powder coat and you'll be into them for @$50-$70 a wheel not including chrome.
I've been looking on Craigslist and ebay but there just aren't any decent deals, especially after the shipping cost is figured in. I don't want to play "used wheel roulette" anyway because I know my luck, I'll have to buy 10 wheels in order to get 4 that aren't bent or have worn out lug nut holes. Most people that have a bunch of wheels keep the good ones for themselves and sell the junk on ebay and craigslist and I don't want to be that guy anymore, I don't want to be the guy that ends up with the junk.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:33 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Try year one or summit?
Insist on hub centric btdt had a hard time finding straight repops too.
Dont let any shop tell you lug centrics on those are Ok youl have problems
Old 10-26-2016, 11:03 AM
TheGreek!
Pro

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Try year one or summit?
Insist on hub centric btdt had a hard time finding straight repops too.
Dont let any shop tell you lug centrics on those are Ok youl have problems
So you were able to find reproduction wheels with the correct size center hole? If so where did you get them?
Old 10-26-2016, 11:10 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

So you were able to find reproduction wheels with the correct size center hole? If so where did you get them?
The ones from Summit have a 3-1/8" hole. I have one that I bought to use for the spare. Never had it bolted on the car though.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:10 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Nope, gave up. I do recall seeing some didnt take note
Pacer I believe makes a lot of these didnt have good luck.
Call around the aftermarket they do exist.

Went with some Welds due to their rep and my frustration...well they were bought out and once again had to go through almost 2 sets to find a set of 4 that were Ok. Took the tires out quickly

Post up when you find what you are looking for..

Know the sad thing? When these and the rallyes were on the balancing machine the guys working there were laughing their azz off at the madein USA sticker...wheel wasnt just out side/side 2 werent even round looked like a hula hoop. Imported crap! Thankfully Summit took care of me the local wheel place where I got the rallyes...didnt.

A stock hyundai wheel that went on next was absolutely perfect.

Last edited by cv67; 10-26-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:24 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

I just purchased a set of Wheel Vintiques chrome rallye wheels from Summit Racing for my '73. After reading this post I made a few phone calls and did some research. From what I was told and what I read, there is no problem running lug centric wheels on a corvette. One wheel is not safer than the other. The problem comes from the wrong type of balancing equipment used when balancing a lug centric wheel with a hub centric balancer. On a lug centric wheel the lug holes are machined into the wheels and the lug nuts center the wheels on the axle when torqued. The hole in the wheel center may not be manufactured in the exact center of the wheel. On a hub centric wheel, the hole in the center of the wheel is machined in the exact center of the wheel and the wheel centers when the center hole is resting on the lip of the axle hub. I was unable to find any after market rallye wheels that are hub centric. I think I'll stick with my chrome rallye's.

Get notified of new replies

To Rally wheel questions

Old 10-27-2016, 07:33 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
I just purchased a set of Wheel Vintiques chrome rallye wheels from Summit Racing for my '73. After reading this post I made a few phone calls and did some research. From what I was told and what I read, there is no problem running lug centric wheels on a corvette. One wheel is not safer than the other. The problem comes from the wrong type of balancing equipment used when balancing a lug centric wheel with a hub centric balancer. On a lug centric wheel the lug holes are machined into the wheels and the lug nuts center the wheels on the axle when torqued. The hole in the wheel center may not be manufactured in the exact center of the wheel. On a hub centric wheel, the hole in the center of the wheel is machined in the exact center of the wheel and the wheel centers when the center hole is resting on the lip of the axle hub. I was unable to find any after market rallye wheels that are hub centric. I think I'll stick with my chrome rallye's.
Whoever told you that lug centric is as safe as hub centric is wrong, they just want to sell you a set of wheels. The wheel studs are NOT supposed to support the weight of the car, the lip on the axles are supposed to do that. That's why ALL factory wheels no matter what make or model of vehicle have lips on the axles and wheels with a hole in the middle them to fit onto the axle lip. All the wheel studs are supposed to do is hold the wheel up against the face of the axle, they are NOT supposed to be supporting the weight of the car. If lug centric was as safe as hub centric the auto makers wouldn't bother making axles with lips on them and wheels with holes in the middle of them that are sized to fit snugly onto the axle lip. Lug centric is NOT correct and it is NOT safe, I absolutely refuse to run lug centric rims on any of my cars.

Last edited by TheGreek!; 10-27-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:05 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

Your preference. Good Luck.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:02 AM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

w/the greek. All thats holding your car up is that part of countersink on your rim. Couldnt figure out why mine were getting beat up quick and seemed loose. Higher speeds would vibrate. wasnt comfortable with it.
To ea their own
Do like to run fast/corner so no compromising there

Quick Reply: Rally wheel questions