C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New member, need guideance

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 11:25 AM
Msantimanzano
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, need guideance

Hello everyone and greetings from Florida. I am a new member, and I signed up after searching Corvette forums this morning. I am about to trade my F250 truck, for a 1985 Corvette.

I have never owned a Corvette and frankly, I don't know what to look at or for, when I go see it on Saturday.

I have the vin number, some photos, and two problems the owner has told me about.

The VIN is 1G1YY0783F5111430
The mileage is 93500 original.
New battery.
New master booster
breaks.
New carpet original for corvette.
New Tires.
small crack on lower passenger side windshield
A/C sometimes only blows through the dash defroster vents

I am interested in knowing what things I should look for or at, when I go see the car, before I agree to the trade. It is an almost even trade, I am giving him on top of my truck a .357 revolver because he asked me for more $ on top of my truck. Its all the extra I was willing to put, as I am not willing to put any actual cash out of pocket.

I thank anyone who can guide me in advance for your help and with my first Corvette ownership, I hope to become a valued member of this community over time. Thanks so much.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:38 AM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

The car looks good in the pics. However, don't rush into a purchase without a thorough inspection and test drive. There are a lot of threads here on what to look for when buying.

Good luck!
Old 10-26-2016, 11:41 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

That windshield is a bigger deal than you think.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:44 AM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

Look in the sticky threads at the top of the section. In the Ultimate C4 DIY thread there is a checklist for things to look at when buying a Corvette.
The windshield replacement can be expensive and a hassle if the molding around the windshield is damaged during the replacement.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:51 AM
Msantimanzano
Cruising

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
Look in the sticky threads at the top of the section. In the Ultimate C4 DIY thread there is a checklist for things to look at when buying a Corvette.
The windshield replacement can be expensive and a hassle if the molding around the windshield is damaged during the replacement.
That makes me nervous. Define "can be expensive" and "a hassle" please. Expensive as in $500 or expensive as in $1500? Edited: Disregard concern on this item

We can disregard this nervous portion of my concerns. I just checked with Safelite glass repair, they will come out and replace the windshield at my place for $278.95. I can handle that.

Last edited by Msantimanzano; 10-26-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:00 PM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

What's his cash price for the car? Headlights flipped up during the day with no parking lights give me a concern that they might not work.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:02 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Msantimanzano
That makes me nervous. Define "can be expensive" and "a hassle" please. Expensive as in $500 or expensive as in $1500? Edited: Disregard concern on this item

We can disregard this nervous portion of my concerns. I just checked with Safelite glass repair, they will come out and replace the windshield at my place for $278.95. I can handle that.
No they won't. It's an all day job and they probably didn't add in cost of A pillar weatherstip
Old 10-26-2016, 12:02 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Hello everyone and greetings from Florida. I am a new member, and I signed up after searching Corvette forums this morning. I am about to trade my F250 truck, for a 1985 Corvette.

I have never owned a Corvette and frankly, I don't know what to look at or for, when I go see it on Saturday.

I have the vin number, some photos, and two problems the owner has told me about.

The VIN is 1G1YY0783F5111430
The mileage is 93500 original.
New battery.
New master booster
breaks.
New carpet original for corvette.
New Tires.
small crack on lower passenger side windshield
A/C sometimes only blows through the dash defroster vents

I am interested in knowing what things I should look for or at, when I go see the car, before I agree to the trade. It is an almost even trade, I am giving him on top of my truck a .357 revolver because he asked me for more $ on top of my truck. Its all the extra I was willing to put, as I am not willing to put any actual cash out of pocket.

I thank anyone who can guide me in advance for your help and with my first Corvette ownership, I hope to become a valued member of this community over time. Thanks so much.
What are your truck and revolver worth in your estimation?

That car needs a lot to fix.
Right off I see
The cracked windshield is $450 to replace. It will need it
The paint is extremely dull and not original. If there is any flaking clear coat, it will need new paint $5K and up
I see faded seats that are probably vinyl. New leather on foam is over $1K
Horn button is wrong somehow. Looks like a bracket under it holding the steering wheel on??
The wing and stripes are not for everyone. I HATE them!!!
Has aftermarket radio. Some like it
The steering wheel I'm sure is probably garbage under the cover that is on it. $200 to replace that if you do it
The weather stripping is garbage. $350 to replace that if you do it
Red vettes don't have black carpet, seat belts, and pad by seat. All should be red
Old 10-26-2016, 12:13 PM
charliet615
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

IMHO, the vette is worth about 3 to 4k. Is your truck and pistol worth more than that?
Old 10-26-2016, 12:16 PM
Jstockton
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
FedEx Bowl 4 St. Jude '09
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Need to know what you think your truck is worth and the .357

I am with others, the headlights being up, its had a repaint, carpet is wrong, steering wheel is wrong, wheel weights on the outside of the rim? Aftermarket air dam up front. I am not a fan of huge door speakers sticking out, that was fine when I was 16.

There is a nice 89 convertible on this forum for sale for 8K with less then 30K miles for comparison.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:27 PM
Bulletclub
Intermediate

I hope your trading him a Taurus 357 with a 95 chevy with 200k on it

Old 10-26-2016, 12:35 PM
Msantimanzano
Cruising

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
That car needs a lot to fix.
Right off I see
The cracked windshield is $450 to replace. It will need it
The paint is extremely dull and not original. If there is any flaking clear coat, it will need new paint $5K and up
I see faded seats that are probably vinyl. New leather on foam is over $1K
Horn button is wrong somehow. Looks like a bracket under it holding the steering wheel on??
The wing and stripes are not for everyone. I HATE them!!!
Has aftermarket radio. Some like it
The steering wheel I'm sure is probably garbage under the cover that is on it. $200 to replace that if you do it
The weather stripping is garbage. $350 to replace that if you do it
Red vettes don't have black carpet, seat belts, and pad by seat. All should be red
Thanks for the detailed break down so far.

What is your estimated value of the vette, as it sits?
Old 10-26-2016, 12:38 PM
Bulletclub
Intermediate

Originally Posted by charliet615
IMHO, the vette is worth about 3 to 4k. Is your truck and pistol worth more than that?
Old 10-26-2016, 12:38 PM
Msantimanzano
Cruising

Originally Posted by Bulletclub
I hope your trading him a Taurus 357 with a 95 chevy with 200k on it

Taurus .357 and a 2000 Ford F250 gas 5.4 with 153k miles. Truck needs approx $1,000 of work
Old 10-26-2016, 12:39 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the detailed break down so far.

What is your estimated value of the vette, as it sits?
If it doesn't need a new paint, I'd pay no more than 3 for it
Personally I wouldn't buy it at any price just because of the wing
If you have to paint it it won't be worth what you put into it in the end.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:42 PM
Bulletclub
Intermediate

Taurus .357 and a 2000 Ford F250 gas 5.4 with 153k miles. Truck needs approx $1,000 of work
So the gun used is worth $300? check gun broker.com to see what they are going for used.

I would guess your truck is at least worth 5k. without running kbb.com

I think my 96 f250 winter beater with 130k with worth 5k last time i looked.

You said it needs $1000 in work. Is that $1000 at a shop? or $1000 in parts and you do the work? big difference to me.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:59 PM
Bulletclub
Intermediate

Ok since I am bored I played a little with kbb.com

Without knowing your truck and guessing you have a 4x4 (2wd not worth as much)

*** These are private party prices*** Not dealer or trade in.

There are alot of options out there that will affect price. Wheels/tires/ tow package/ any add ons?/ bed liner/ truck cap better radio. I think you get where i am going here. So might be worth more

My fist pick:

1.) 2000 F250 REG cab XL 153K auto 4x4

in Fair condition: $3,157
In Good condition: $3,713

my second pick.

2.) 2000 F250 ext cab XL auto 4x4 153k (NOT MEGA CAB full 4 Door)

In fair condition: $4497
In good condition $5444

So if you have an XLT or king ranch or whatever it prob will be worth more.. XL package is base line. You could also look up trade in Value.

To me this sounds like a bad deal. If people on here value the vett around 3k

Last edited by Bulletclub; 10-26-2016 at 01:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New member, need guideance

Old 10-26-2016, 01:01 PM
Msantimanzano
Cruising

I messaged the owner with the following:

Hi Alan, I have some questions about the car. Are the headlights broken, they don't go down? Are the seats vinyl or leather? Can you send me a photo of the car with the hood up, so I can see the engine? Also, can I see a photo of the steering wheel. Thanks.

He has responded with:

Yes. I can do this in the end off the day. I working now.I'm not in the area where is the car. About the headlights one side the plastic valve is broke need to glue.the seats is leather I do this last year.

Does the response reference to the headlights make sense? (Since Ive never had a vette I am clueless)

He does say the seats are leather, perhaps the photo is bad and washed out, making them seem faded and/or not leather.

Hoping an engine bay photo also adds information to help value this car. Also, hoping the steering wheel photo better shows that questionable horn matter.

The paint I will be able to see better in person than in the photos. One of his photos seems to show a vibrant nice red, but other photos seem to show a faded or just not very nice red at all.

As to the carpet/seat belts etc. color being off, that doesnt bother me much at all. I'm not a collector (yet) and so this does not impact me much to drive the car and enjoy it I suppose. I'm still concerned about the windshield though again. The weatherstriping as well now.

Are the wheels not supposed to have wheel weights? How would they be balanced if they require weight there to balance them? (forgive my ignorance)
Old 10-26-2016, 01:13 PM
Msantimanzano
Cruising

Ok since I am bored I played a little with kbb.com

Without knowing your truck and guessing you have a 4x4 (2wd not worth as much)

*** These are private party prices*** Not dealer or trade in

My fist pick:

1.) 2000 F250 REG cab XL 153K auto 4x4

in Fair condition: $3,157
In Good condition: $3,713

my second pick.

2.) 2000 F250 ext cab XL auto 4x4 153k (NOT MEGA CAB full 4 Door)

In fair condition: $4497
In good condition $5444

So if you have an XLT or king ranch or whatever it prob will be worth more.. XL package is base line. You could also look up trade in Value.

To me this sounds like a bad deal. If people on here value the vett around 3k
Truck is 2WD
I had a fender bender 10 years ago with it, where I did call the police after I got a flat, and when I pulled over, I banged my driver side fender and driver side bumper with the concrete median, damaging my fender and bumper. With my shredded flat, the police apparently did a report (I had no idea they had done a report at all) that my car was undriveable and that has made it onto carfax. To repair, that I simply replaced my front bumper, both front fenders and headlights to 2007 model year. I also replaced the bed, so it says 4x4 but it is not. Also, the fenders say diesel, but its not. Those were emblems on the replacement fenders I used. The paint on the truck has some of the clear coat peeling off in some areas as round bubble looking peels. As you can see, the red fender colors dont match the rest of the trucks red color.

Truck is simply a supercab, so its 4 doors, but only the small back doors, not full size 4 doors.

The bed has dings and scrapes all around, nothing huge but visibly there.

It is an XLT. Power windows, door locks, ac, cruise. The cruise and horn are not working. I believe the clock spring is broken. The door locks will sometimes pop open with the power lock switch, but sometimes they wont open and sometimes they wont close, I believe the actuators are bad or going bad.

I estimate $1000 in parts, plus labor, likely putting the total at $2k in parts and labor.

Here are photos of my truck, I have it for sale currently at $4500 with the intention of negotiating it down as low as $4k I would say that to be in fair condition, the $1,000 investment in the truck is needed.

Last edited by Msantimanzano; 10-26-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:20 PM
Msantimanzano
Cruising

So the gun used is worth $300? check gun broker.com to see what they are going for used.

I would guess your truck is at least worth 5k. without running kbb.com

I think my 96 f250 winter beater with 130k with worth 5k last time i looked.

You said it needs $1000 in work. Is that $1000 at a shop? or $1000 in parts and you do the work? big difference to me.
I am a former federal firearms dealer, had to relinquish my license as I lost my least 3 weeks ago, the gun is still brand new from my leftover inventory, my dealer cost on gun was $231, retail is almost $400 on it.

I think its more along the lines of $1,000 in parts plus the labor.

Quick Reply: New member, need guideance