C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

New to me ZR1- please share pointers on what to "get ahead of"

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 08:02 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts
Default New to me ZR1- please share pointers on what to "get ahead of"

I pick up my 91 ZR1 Friday in Ohio and driver her back to Dallas-1100 miles BOO YAH!

This is my first C4 and certainly first ZR1 and I'm very excited.

Can you all please give me some tips, pointers, things to "get ahead off", idiosyncrasies, for maintenance or things to watch for- I'm all about prevention (I ordered the FSM and plan to read it) and being ahead of the curve. Thanks!!
Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2016, 08:09 PM
Not Red Rob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 655 Likes on 297 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C4 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Congrats! Those road trips home in a new ride are a blast!

Can't offer much advice on the ZR1, just bought mine a couple months ago. There's a wealth of knowledge on here, just ask.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:41 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If it has the original tires might want to get them replaced. How far are you driving it? The injectors will need to be replaced if they are original,not a question of if but when. Not to put a damper on the new car but the alcohol in modern fuels kills the injectors.Beautiful car,enjoy the ride home.

Last edited by Z51JEFF; 10-26-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:45 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

New tires. I'm going 1100 miles.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:56 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
I pick up my 91 ZR1 Friday in Ohio and driver her back to Dallas-1100 miles BOO YAH!
This is my first C4 and certainly first ZR1 and I'm very excited.

Can you all please give me some tips, pointers, things to "get ahead off", idiosyncrasies, for maintenance or things to watch for- I'm all about prevention (I ordered the FSM and plan to read it) and being ahead of the curve. Thanks!!
I like the color of your 91'

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
The injectors will need to be replaced if they are original,seat bladders are bad and pumps might need some work. Stereo and speaker amps are most likely dead. That's just for starters. Beautiful car,enjoy the drive home.
Yep.....Like Jeff suggests

I always pull the Plenum and Block Throttle Body Coolant on Both Injector Housings. When I am there....clean the valley/valley drain, check all vacuum lines and check for any oil leaks. I also remove the starter when I am there and recondition the Starter Solenoid.

If you have Plenum Gaskets in hand and maybe New SS Allen Head Bolts for Plenum reconditioning, the Top End can easily be accomplished in a day.....maybe two days if you want to let it sit to think of stuff to do when you are there

Lastly.....Replace ALL Fluids so you have a nice starting point
Lots of "Stuff" in Signature

Last edited by Dynomite; 10-26-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:43 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dynomite
Lots of "Stuff" in Signature [/COLOR]

WOW- perfect. I have some reading to do- thanks!
Old 10-26-2016, 10:13 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

ZR-1 registry along with this site offers a ton of knowledge.....I bought my 91 back in November of 2014 and knew little about the LT5.....With there help I was able to do all maintenance and repairs by myself.......So, tell us about the car..Mileage ? History? Looks like you bought it from a dealer..Car looks super clean......Are you willing to share price maybe? Lots of talk on these forums as far as pricing goes...

Enjoy the ride home and be safe....Any questions you know where to go...
Old 10-26-2016, 10:29 PM
G8nightman
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 80 Posts

nice i was watching that one on eBay. Make sure your vacuum pump is working and that you don't have any vacuum leaks.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:49 AM
dbdreams
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, I never got a chance to see that car in person but I was interested in it. Weird question if you went to look at it did you see the red 2012 there with chrome wheels?

The reason I ask is because my cousin just bought it yesterday. I asked him to look over the ZR1 for me and he said it had been sold the day before.

Anyways that's awesome, I love the car and I hope you enjoy it!
Old 10-27-2016, 11:06 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dbdreams
Wow, I never got a chance to see that car in person but I was interested in it. Weird question if you went to look at it did you see the red 2012 there with chrome wheels?
No, I never saw it in person- I'm taking the leap of faith and buying it site unseen. I have lots of photos and have had lots of conversation. The dealer has been VERY response to my odd ball requests for extra detail.

Las Vegas is not the only place where one can roll the dice!
Old 10-27-2016, 11:14 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by zrc3john
So, tell us about the car..Mileage ? History?
I was looking at several ZR1s and but the deciding factor was that it is a one owner car- I'll be number two. Plus the color really grew on me. I'm typically a triple black combo guy but the red really caught my eye.

Spent its early years on Akron area then to Naples Florida which tells me it was owned by a retired-ish person. 65k on the clock most of which happened early on.

All original documents, stickers, BOS...etc

I'm paying 15,900 and it has a new (new) set of tires along with all the recent (less than 100) miles maintenance records. No repairs, just routine maintenance.

Now the drive....1100 miles will really give me a sense of what this car is all about.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:15 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

You might want a contingency plan if the injectors start shorting out on an extended drive cycle. If the injectors have already been done, you will most likely have no issues. I would also suggest to make sure the spare tire is inflated (nobody ever checks that). Along those lines, ensure that the lug nut extender socket for the deep dish rear wheels is still in the console as the factory lug wrench bar can't reach in that deep. A quick drive around town to make sure the the fans come on (turn on the a/c to check that more easily) and that she isn't running warm.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:44 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mike100
You might want a contingency plan if the injectors start shorting out on an extended drive cycle. If the injectors have already been done, you will most likely have no issues.
Thanks- what exactly would a contingency plan look like? I have no idea what the symptoms or conditions look like of injector failure?

Is it a "car runs rough" or a "car, dead on the road" thing? Are they easily replaceable or do I get a spare(s) to bring?

Thanks for the heads up, but what would YOU do for a mitigation plan?

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2016, 12:54 PM
undervetted
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks- what exactly would a contingency plan look like? I have no idea what the symptoms or conditions look like of injector failure?

Is it a "car runs rough" or a "car, dead on the road" thing? Are they easily replaceable or do I get a spare(s) to bring?

Thanks!

Make sure you bring a spare fan belt. I would not do 1100 miles on the original fan belt. If you can get the dealer to change the brake fluid I would do that also.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:56 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Did the same thing back in Nov. of 2014..Bought the car sight unseen from Gateway classics in Chicago..What can I say, I was home for five weeks recovering from a recent surgery so I got bored and bought another Corvette....Lol...You tube Corvette # 633.....
Sounds like you got a GOOD deal..One owner car and looks great in the photo...My guess is your injectors are probably already changed.....I bought mine with 41K and mine were switched over to Accels....Besides checking the spare and such,bring a big can of fix a flat with you....Good luck with the drive home...
Old 10-27-2016, 01:25 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks!
Injectors are a tough call. it could just be a misfire on one cylinder (and maybe only when you floor it-secondary injector)- or it could be constant- primary injectors. This is what I would not drive on- you don't want to burn up the injector driver chip in the ecm. Secondary injectors are driven by solid state relays external to the ecm- so no risk, but maybe ask for a picture of the injectors in the car or a good perusal of the receipts if they have the service records.

I think most shops could handle an injector change- maybe it takes about half a day of work- but you will need to order a set of LT5 injectors and gaskets ahead of time. A lot of LT5 trips don't occur unless you have a set of plenum gaskets in your possession.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:01 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Stay tuned - we usually have a BBQ in the New Braunfels area in the fall. You missed the one this year however. The best LT5 wrench in the area is Corey Henderson assuming you would rather not do your own repairs. Your 91 probably has had the injectors replaced already because ethanol eats them up in a few years. You almost can't find pure gas anymore.

Glenn

Get notified of new replies

To New to me ZR1- please share pointers on what to "get ahead of"

Old 10-27-2016, 09:52 PM
dbdreams
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

No, I never saw it in person- I'm taking the leap of faith and buying it site unseen. I have lots of photos and have had lots of conversation. The dealer has been VERY response to my odd ball requests for extra detail.

Las Vegas is not the only place where one can roll the dice!
Believe me I have studied all the pictures on his website and from the looks of them there probably isn't much of a gamble. If someone took such good care of the exterior and interior then chances are they also took good care of the mechanicals as well. That being said these good folks here on the forum do seem to have good advice just to be on the safe side but I'm sure you'll be fine. As I said my cousin bought the 2012 from him on Tuesday and drove his back to Michigan about 250 miles with no issues. He said the owner of that company was somewhat of a perfectionist. He got two sets of wheels with his because the shop owner noticed one of the wheels was scuffed so he bought a new set for it before sale.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:58 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by zrc3john

Did the same thing back in Nov. of 2014..Bought the car sight unseen from Gateway classics in Chicago..What can I say, I was home for five weeks recovering from a recent surgery so I got bored and bought another Corvette....Lol...You tube Corvette # 633.....
Sounds like you got a GOOD deal..One owner car and looks great in the photo...My guess is your injectors are probably already changed.....I bought mine with 41K and mine were switched over to Accels....Besides checking the spare and such,bring a big can of fix a flat with you....Good luck with the drive home...
Is this a 91 or 92?
Old 10-28-2016, 07:55 AM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Is this a 91 or 92?
​​​​​​​its a 91.....I put the fender badges on..Like the look...

Quick Reply: New to me ZR1- please share pointers on what to "get ahead of"