C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Aluminum Intake Curiosity Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 03:37 PM
Kelley
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 25 Posts
AL Events Coordinator

Default Aluminum Intake Curiosity Question

what is the purpose of the single elongated hole on one side of a small block intake manifold carburetor pad and the two round holes on the other side? Why are both sides not the same?

Old 10-27-2016, 04:00 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

IIRC, the oval hole is for the upper plane , the two holes feed the lower plane.

It has to do with distribution, using the oval in the upper plane gives better distribution because the floor of the manifold on that side is closer to the carb. The two holes on the other side keep the flow going down for longer before they get distributed, so there isn't any "short circuiting".

I am going to suggest that if you measure teh depth of the two holes thru the aluminum, you will find they terminate the same distance above the bottom of that plane, as the bottom of the carb terminates above the top plane (oval hole).

Doug
Old 10-27-2016, 04:00 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

That's for an installation where the 4bbl carb is mounted "sideways" - so to speak. The primaries go through the two small holes; the secondaries through the large oval slot.

Last edited by tuxnharley; 10-27-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:02 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
That's for an installation where the 4bbl carb is mounted "sideways" - so to speak. The primaries go through the two small holes; the secondaries through the large oval slot.
That would be one mighty poor running motor....

Doug
Old 10-27-2016, 04:10 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AZDoug
That would be one mighty poor running motor....

Doug
LOL - gotcha!

I shoulda put the "" in my first post - I'll add it now.

PS - yes, I agree, it's a "dual plane" manifold designed to equalize fuel distribution to all cylinders for street driven engines.

Last edited by tuxnharley; 10-27-2016 at 04:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Panhead (10-27-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 04:43 PM
Kelley
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 25 Posts
AL Events Coordinator

Thank you. This forum never ceases to amaze me
Old 10-27-2016, 05:08 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

I'll ask 2 other question to this...

Looking into and at the bottom.... what is the purpose of the '58' looking ribs...?

Does that have something to do with "atomizing the fuel"?...
Old 10-27-2016, 05:13 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 66jack

Looking into and at the bottom.... what is the purpose of the '58' looking ribs...?

Not sure about "atomizing", as I think that takes place in the carburetor, such as it it is......

My guess is that those ribs are an effort to channel and create some uniform directionality of the fuel/air mixture flow and reduce turbulent flow.

Last edited by tuxnharley; 10-27-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:46 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

All of those sexy looking manifolds are chiefly about creating even air/fuel distribution to the cylinders and minimizing perturbations in the airstream....various configurations have been tried with prob some minimal improvement but I can't say if you can feel it in the 'seat of your pants'...
Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2016, 05:55 PM
6D2148
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
All of those sexy looking manifolds are chiefly about creating even air/fuel distribution to the cylinders and minimizing perturbations in the airstream....various configurations have been tried with prob some minimal improvement but I can't say if you can feel it in the 'seat of your pants'...
"PERTURBATIONS", I learned a new word today!!!!
Old 10-27-2016, 06:06 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Originally Posted by 6D2148
"PERTURBATIONS", I learned a new word today!!!!
Me, too.

PERURBATIONS: 1 : the action of perturbing : the state of being perturbed. 2 : a disturbance of motion, course, arrangement, or state of equilibrium; especially : a disturbance of the regular and usually elliptical course of motion of a celestial body that is produced by some force additional to that which causes its regular motion.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:41 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
Me, too.

PERURBATIONS: 1 : the action of perturbing : the state of being perturbed. 2 : a disturbance of motion, course, arrangement, or state of equilibrium; especially : a disturbance of the regular and usually elliptical course of motion of a celestial body that is produced by some force additional to that which causes its regular motion.
​​​​​​​Morphs into the human equivalent..........otherwise known as a ***t disturber.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:46 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
Me, too.

PERTURBATIONS: 1 : the action of perturbing : the state of being perturbed. 2 : a disturbance of motion, course, arrangement, or state of equilibrium; especially : a disturbance of the regular and usually elliptical course of motion of a celestial body that is produced by some force additional to that which causes its regular motion.

Sounds like it comes from the same root word as "turbulence"- thus trying to smooth it out............
Old 10-28-2016, 02:22 AM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,339 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
IIRC, the oval hole is for the upper plane , the two holes feed the lower plane.

It has to do with distribution, using the oval in the upper plane gives better distribution because the floor of the manifold on that side is closer to the carb. The two holes on the other side keep the flow going down for longer before they get distributed, so there isn't any "short circuiting".

I am going to suggest that if you measure teh depth of the two holes thru the aluminum, you will find they terminate the same distance above the bottom of that plane, as the bottom of the carb terminates above the top plane (oval hole).

Doug
An Engineer at Edelbrock in the 80's, Jim McFarland, told me it was thought to even out the volume of the plenum of the high plane with the lower plane. The open volume between the two holes was thought to equal the deeper volume in the lower plenum and even out the throttle response. When he pioneered the singled plane manifolds all the old school copycat fads were tossed out and the manifolds redesigned.

You do not see the same three-hole design practice in newer computer designed manifolds, but that does not rule out achieving equal plenum volumes in the castings.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:42 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Understanding of flow dynamics evolves over time. How about the configuration of the 1970-72 Z28/LT1 intake manifold:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...ntake+manifold
Old 10-28-2016, 10:57 AM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Remember the 3 barrel carburetors?
Old 10-28-2016, 12:31 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 63 340HP
An Engineer at Edelbrock in the 80's, Jim McFarland, told me it was thought to even out the volume of the plenum of the high plane with the lower plane. The open volume between the two holes was thought to equal the deeper volume in the lower plenum and even out the throttle response..
That thought crossed my mind, but the divider doesn't come close to making up for the different volumes. You still have those two long holes that add extra volume to that side

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To Aluminum Intake Curiosity Question

Old 10-28-2016, 01:20 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Originally Posted by 66jack

That's the surface directly above the heat riser passage, also known as a "hot spot" to aid vaporizing liquid fuel as quickly as possible to get the most even distribution. The ribs offer more hot surface area than if the surface was flat.

There's a lot of complicated physics going on in a carburetor-manifold system. In his book, Dave McClellan said it's a wonder that they work at all. They do as long as the carb is calibrated rich enough to keep the leanest cylinder out of lean misfire, but that costs about an extra five percent fuel compared to port or direct injection with properly matched flow rates.

Duke
Old 10-28-2016, 02:56 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
That's the surface directly above the heat riser passage, also known as a "hot spot" to aid vaporizing liquid fuel as quickly as possible to get the most even distribution. The ribs offer more hot surface area than if the surface was flat.

There's a lot of complicated physics going on
in a carburetor-manifold system. In his book, Dave McClellan said it's a wonder that they work at all. They do as long as the carb is calibrated rich enough to keep the leanest cylinder out of lean misfire, but that costs about an extra five percent fuel compared to port or direct injection with properly matched flow rates.

Duke
Yes. I started reading about dual plane manifolds and the handling of induction pulses and stopped after about the third page I think...
Old 10-28-2016, 03:11 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
That's the surface directly above the heat riser passage, also known as a "hot spot" to aid vaporizing liquid fuel as quickly as possible to get the most even distribution. The ribs offer more hot surface area than if the surface was flat

Duke
Interesting. So the cross over is for more than just aiding in cold start drivabilty. It looks like the high performance and after market manifolds were designed to take advantage of that, where the cruder base model castings did not.

Perhaps that had something to do with aluminum castings vs cast iron?

Why do so many racers block off the cross over if it can aid in better fuel vaporization and even distribution to all cylinders?

Quick Reply: Aluminum Intake Curiosity Question