Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

Z06 M7 Off Idle Hesitation

Old 10-27-2016, 05:09 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Default Z06 M7 Off Idle Hesitation

Hi Tadge,

There have been numerous reports of an annoying off idle hesitation in the Z06 M7 cars. I have experienced this myself trying to accelerate from a dead stop. Letting the clutch out while applying throttle only to have the car stumble and shut off. Not only embarrassing but certainly a safety issue in traffic. Having driven manual transmission cars my entire life, I adopted a technique of blipping the throttle first, before trying to drive away from a dead stop.

The hesitation in throttle response is noticeable even with just a quick blip of the throttle without any load. Seems to me like a lean A/F ratio style hesitation.

Is this purposely built into the ECM programming somehow? Perhaps we are idling in some sort of Econo mode and then transitioning into a different mode for normal driving?

Perhaps you have already addressed this in the 100 octane tune recently released.

Thank you again, for taking the time to respond to questions posed by the Corvette Forum membership.

Last edited by Rookieracer; 10-27-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:23 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Rookieracer
There have been numerous reports of an annoying off idle hesitation in the Z06 M7 cars.
As I tell people constantly: Ask Tadge isn't for troubleshooting. If you're having issues with your car, take it to a service department first to see what they say.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:36 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
As I tell people constantly: Ask Tadge isn't for troubleshooting. If you're having issues with your car, take it to a service department first to see what they say.
This doesn't appear to be a troubleshooting issue. I and others believe it is built into the programming of the vehicle as it can certainly be tuned out. That's why I tried to phrase the question as some sort of Econo mode at idle.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:41 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Well, for what it's worth, I DID take my car to the dealer when it only had about a 1000 miles on it and like the OP said, I could easily stall it if I wasn't conscious of the throttle blip trick to get it moving. The certified Corvette mechanic put the electronic gadget on it, checked it out and said, nothing he could do about it, that's the way the car was designed and that's the way it is. If that's the case, it's a BS design. I had 2 Vipers both with 6 speeds and a Challenger with stick, plus two older Corvettes in the 80's....all manual transmissions and NONE of those cars did this. Come on Chevrolet, this is a very easy fix for ya!
Old 10-27-2016, 10:28 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 724 Likes on 478 Posts

I have to agree. This is a design and engineering question. I'd bet Tadge has an interesting answer.

As for this 'no troubleshooting' policy, the thread immediately below this was answered by Tadge and is called 'track alignment problems'.

Last edited by spearfish25; 10-27-2016 at 10:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 M7 Off Idle Hesitation

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z06 M7 Off Idle Hesitation