C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Supercharger, what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 11:38 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15
Default Used Supercharger, what to look for?

I know nothing about superchargers, but there is a wrecked Vette in my area that is getting parted out. I'm trying to get specs from the independent shop that has it. In the meantime, I need to know what I should be looking for to know it is okay since this is a big ticket item.

Last edited by imgn tht; 10-28-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:15 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I also know little about superchargers, but with big money involved I would ask the same question of the manufacturer , get the specs and perhaps even the applications.

normally, I wouldn't post about stuff I don't know, and I would learn from others advice, but even with skilled insight provided , I don't see a way to pull the trigger without talking to the manufacturer, or seller . Of course, that I don't see means nothing, but for me, a big ticket needs specs , some way to understand the condition of the product without experience.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:37 AM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by strand rider
I also know little about superchargers, but with big money involved I would ask the same question of the manufacturer , get the specs and perhaps even the applications.

normally, I wouldn't post about stuff I don't know, and I would learn from others advice, but even with skilled insight provided , I don't see a way to pull the trigger without talking to the manufacturer, or seller . Of course, that I don't see means nothing, but for me, a big ticket needs specs , some way to understand the condition of the product without experience.
I am talking with the seller for specs and who makes it. I've come here seeking the experience of others who have a SC to help me understand what it is I should look at condition-wise. Impeller blade damage, impeller wobble, bent intercooler fins all seem obvious from my import turbo days, but what else?

If it helps any the shop noted it was located on the driver's side of the engine bay where the alternator was previously. It appears to be a Vortech unit with twin intercoolers. But that's as far as I've nanaged to gather from the research I did.

Get notified of new replies

To Used Supercharger, what to look for?

Quick Reply: Used Supercharger, what to look for?