C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Ramps vs lift

Old 11-13-2016, 08:04 PM
ZR1North
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ramps vs lift

Hi All;

I don't have the option to install a two or four-post lift in my current garage setup. I am considering the system below as an alternative for small jobs like detailing, oil changes, etc (not tranny pulls or things of that sort). Has anyone had experience with this modular system?

https://raceramps.com/car-ramps/gara...l-length-lift/

Last edited by ZR1North; 11-13-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:23 PM
pnoman
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I was looking at the same ones and then decided to go with Quick jacks considering not much price difference.
Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2016, 08:30 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 978 Likes on 621 Posts

don't have the pit stop setup race ramps just the service setup, great product, light weight, durable, easy to store.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:36 PM
silver74vette
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I have the E-Z car lift. Just used it yesterday, works very well and lets the wheels hang. Great for bleeding brakes and you can run a creeper under the whole thing. About the same cost.

Thanks, Chris
Old 11-13-2016, 08:40 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 724 Likes on 478 Posts

Race ramps are a pain to store and you have to walk a tightrope getting the car on them. And definitely don't drive OVER them...did that once with a different car since getting a manual up the ramps but not beyond them is tricky without killing your clutch.

Quikjacks are much easier to use.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:42 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,396 Likes on 1,586 Posts

I have used Race Ramps, but not the full length system, for several years without any issues. Great for low profile cars, however, if I decide to go with a full lift system, then I would probably go with a Quick Jack set-up just for space saving reasons alone, and it's little cheaper.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:58 PM
ZR1North
Instructor

Thanks guys. Great info - much appreciated!
Old 11-13-2016, 10:44 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

I have (2) ProPark 9 XL's and a set of race ramps to get my cars up on the lifts. I have also driven my car up onto a full race ramp setup to have work done underneath.

Both are excellent solutions and have each their own pet peeves, but full lifts offer the possibility of storing 2 cars rather than 1, which for me, was critical.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:05 PM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1North
Hi All;

I don't have the option to install a two or four-post lift in my current garage setup. I am considering the system below as an alternative for small jobs like detailing, oil changes, etc (not tranny pulls or things of that sort). Has anyone had experience with this modular system?

https://raceramps.com/car-ramps/gara...l-length-lift/
Awfully expensive for some pieces of plastic.
Would've expected being something like 5X the cost of Rhino Ramps, not 40X
Old 11-14-2016, 08:19 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Just get yourself a QUICKJACK 5000. Best investment I ever made. Here is my C6 Z06 up on the lift this weekend. I'm installing DRM valved Bilstein shocks, spindle ducts, brakes, tow hooks and some other things. Use it on my C7 Z06 also. Works like a charm.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:53 AM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I have quick jack also. With the race ramps you cant do any brake work or remove the wheels so not very useful
Old 11-14-2016, 12:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

You could also go with a mid rise scissors lift that you park the car over when you aren't using the lift. Most of the ones on the market have the advantage that they are movable so you can relocate them if required. They are heavy and it takes some effort to move them but they do move. They will let you do work around the perimeter of the car and any fluid changes you want to do.

A MaxJax will let you do all of that and give you room to work under the middle of the car.

Both will let you work in a garage with a 9 to 10 ft ceiling. At prices varying between $1500 and $2000 they are a great asset and far superior to ramps.

Bill
Old 11-14-2016, 12:15 PM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
You could also go with a mid rise scissors lift that you park the car over when you aren't using the lift.
Most if not all block off a portion of the center of the car, so tranny or rear end fluid changes may be an issue.
The Quickjack above does not.

Last edited by PDCjonny; 11-14-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:10 PM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

A simple method to reduce the possibility of over shooting ramps (any brand) is to place a wheel chock in the path of the rear tire. It has to be placed the distance of the wheelbase behind the stop on the ramp platform.

Originally Posted by spearfish25
Race ramps are a pain to store and you have to walk a tightrope getting the car on them. And definitely don't drive OVER them...did that once with a different car since getting a manual up the ramps but not beyond them is tricky without killing your clutch.

Quikjacks are much easier to use.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:37 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Just get yourself a QUICKJACK 5000. Best investment I ever made. Here is my C6 Z06 up on the lift this weekend. I'm installing DRM valved Bilstein shocks, spindle ducts, brakes, tow hooks and some other things. Use it on my C7 Z06 also. Works like a charm.
Maybe its just me and maybe it is unfounded, but I would not feel safe under that.
The following users liked this post:
Firemedic301 (11-20-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 08:02 PM
ZR1North
Instructor

Thanks again guys; lot of good arguments for Quick Lift. I checked out the website and a few related links, and I've read only good things. The video on their site is impressive at it relates to safety and what it would seemingly take to overload this thing.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:36 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by PDCjonny
Most if not all block off a portion of the center of the car, so tranny or rear end fluid changes may be an issue.
The Quickjack above does not.
For the vast majority of the work a Quick Jack really isn't any better. I agree it is open in the center but that doesn't mean it is all that beneficial. I had a mid rise scissors lift for 9 years I used it to change all of the fluids front and rear, brakes, shocks, springs, tires, tie rods and hubs but never had a need to pull the exhaust or the torque tube.

When the lift was all the way up it was easy to scoot around under the car with a roller seat and get to just about anything except the very center.

When I moved I switched to a Max Jax because I was under the mistaken impression getting to the center of the car was a good idea. Have used the lift for 3 years and haven't used it once to get to anything in the center of two different Corvettes. I can tell you one thing the center of the car is a lot more accessible when it is 4 ft in the air Vs 2 ft. If you do need to work in that area it is a lot better than the Quick Jack in a garage. The quick jack is nice at the track if you have the room to take it along.

I probably would have been better off staying with a scissors lift when I moved. At least it wouldn't take up any room when not being used as it is under the car. I can store the Max Jax posts and lift bars in a corner but I can't use the corner for anything else. In a garage where space is at a premium you need to plan everything before purchasing and residential two car garages have severe space limitations.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Ramps vs lift

Old 11-14-2016, 08:50 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Ez Car Lift works great and I use it all the time. You can park over the top of it so it doesn't take up any room in your garage. Also it gives you almost full access to the underside of the car. Really a great product.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:51 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Maybe its just me and maybe it is unfounded, but I would not feel safe under that.
I hear you. I thought the same when I looked at pictures before I purchased it. Few things to note:

- I am not sure if you know this, but there are two full sections of the lift. In the picture, you can't see the section holding up the other side of the car.

- The unit has locking bars on each section. When engaged, the hydraulics are no longer being used to support the car. In fact, you can unplug the entire unit and disconnect the hoses if you really wanted.

- The unit is rated to 5000lbs

- It looks and is far more sturdier in person than pictures show

- I am very, very concerned about safety under my car. The last thing I want is to kill myself under my Corvette. I used to spend alot of time manipulating jack stands and jacks with back-ups and even back-ups to my back-ups prior to getting this lift. I would never go under a car I did not feel safe under. Not ever.

- I conducted a few non-scientific tests. I do not endorse one tries this, but I did because I simply had to know: With the wheels on the car, I attempted to push the car off the lift. I tried from both sides, and from the front and rear. I was fully prepared for the car to fall off the lift and cause damage. The car was rock solid on the lift and would not budge, and I pushed very hard. The lift did not shift nor even move. I could not push it off. I then jacked the car up on one side completely off of one side of the lift, thereby transferring weight to the remaining side of the lift. I wanted to see if I could reach a breaking point. No matter how high I jacked the car on one side, the QUICKJACK side that was taking the weight did not budge, nor give, nor creak, nor anything. I don't know how much weight was transferred, but the car was significantly higher on the jacking side.

For me, it is far, far safer than the alternative of jack stands and jacks. Also, if I really feel like it I can still back it up with those things. In fact, I was doing so in one of my pictures. Not because I didn't feel safe, but just because I could.
The following users liked this post:
AK JOEY (02-11-2017)
Old 11-14-2016, 09:07 PM
bman4261
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pnoman
I was looking at the same ones and then decided to go with Quick jacks considering not much price difference.
Did you get the BL-5000SLX Quick Jack model? Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ramps vs lift