C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch peddle vibrates after new install

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 08:31 AM
CiCiC3
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Clutch peddle vibrates after new install

I just had my clutch and flywheel replaced on my '74 and have about 50 miles on it when it starts vibrating very noticeably at high rpm. The speed of the vibration is in sync with the rpm. I have an idea of what's happening but what I don't know is if it is ok to drive it around like that very much. I just need to drive it back to the shop about 5 miles away. Sounds like it needs to be adjusted somehow?
Old 11-29-2016, 09:52 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by CiCiC3
I just had my clutch and flywheel replaced on my '74 and have about 50 miles on it when it starts vibrating very noticeably at high rpm. The speed of the vibration is in sync with the rpm. I have an idea of what's happening but what I don't know is if it is ok to drive it around like that very much. I just need to drive it back to the shop about 5 miles away. Sounds like it needs to be adjusted somehow?
They probably just bolted it in. Flywheel should be neutral balanced but I have seen them off quite a bit out of the box. Pull it back out and check the balance. Flywheel bolts should be torqued. Pressure plate can be balanced with the flywheel also and those bolts should be torqued as well.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:17 AM
Darinm
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mako
They probably just bolted it in. Flywheel should be neutral balanced but I have seen them off quite a bit out of the box. Pull it back out and check the balance. Flywheel bolts should be torqued. Pressure plate can be balanced with the flywheel also and those bolts should be torqued as well.
Totally agree with this comment. I just brought my BRAND NEW flywheel and pressure plate in to my machine shop to have balanced with crank. The new flywheel was out of balance, and the pressure plate had weight added to it. Once completed, he marked both the flywheel and pressure plate with punch marks so when i reinstall it, i align them up to keep the balance.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:50 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

They did use an externally balanced flywheel on your 454, didn't they?
Old 11-29-2016, 12:03 PM
CiCiC3
Racer

Originally Posted by jnb5101
They did use an externally balanced flywheel on your 454, didn't they?
Now I remember doing that last time I did it myself years ago. I would guess they did not and just slapped it in after getting the parts since I didn't request it. I would imagine this is going to cost close to the same price as I just paid to do all this again. May want to do this myself this time possibly. hmmm...thanks for all the info!
Old 11-29-2016, 12:05 PM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Check your pedal freeplay. As rpm increases, the freeplay will decrease slightly. As a test, increase freeplay a turn or so, and then retest to high rpm.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:32 PM
63mako
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Sorry, did not realize you had a big block.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:01 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Why would you resign to paying twice bring it back and make them do it right you already paid for it! Dont accept any excuses, shops are full of them.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:18 PM
63mako
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Why would you resign to paying twice bring it back and make them do it right you already paid for it! Dont accept any excuses, shops are full of them.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:53 PM
CiCiC3
Racer

The out of balance theory is fine but why would the vibration not show up until now? I played dragster through 3 gears yesterday and it wasn't until after that the vibration showed up. Did I possibly break the throw-out bearing release spring? This is a big block. The mechanic doesn't think the balancing is the problem.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:40 AM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

Is the vibration through the clutch, or felt through the shifter and entire car? If you hammered on it a bit it could be something else now, as a result of having that better clutch. I had a vibration that built with rpm in the past (gen 1 Camaro, not the Vette) show up and Finally found I had sprung/bent the rear yolk at the front of the rear end after a fresh clutch and lots of hard launches.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:53 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

did you use a center force clutch? those weights on them SUCK, and will always give you vibration.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:18 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldana
did you use a center force clutch? those weights on them SUCK, and will always give you vibration.
Worthless
Old 12-03-2016, 03:34 PM
63mako
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I have a Centerforce Dual Friction in my 63 with absolutely zero issues. I love it.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I played dragster through 3 gears yesterday and it wasn't until after that the vibration showed up.

QUESTION: How many miles of NORMAL city driving did you have on this clutch before you went out and played drag racer????

The mechanic doesn't think the balancing is the problem.
. I am waiting for an answer to what I asked above.

DUB
Old 12-03-2016, 08:03 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

I just had my clutch and flywheel replaced on my '74 and have about 50 miles on it when it starts vibrating
Originally Posted by DUB
. I am waiting for an answer to what I asked above.

DUB
He did already. Too soon to be playing drag racer.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:54 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Wait if I understand this right you were romping (playing drag racer) on it THEN it started vibrating?

If so pull the valve covers pull your pushrods out see if any are bent or broken. Does it idle funny?

CF clutches.....if the motor is broken it can happen never seen one do it when everything is right. Not saying it cant happen but-
personally love them, great pedal feel smooth not muc pedal effort. Mines over 15 yrs old been on 3 motors

Last edited by cv67; 12-03-2016 at 10:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch peddle vibrates after new install

Old 12-04-2016, 07:19 AM
sgt kohler
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait if I understand this right you were romping (playing drag racer) on it THEN it started vibrating?

If so pull the valve covers pull your pushrods out see if any are bent or broken. Does it idle funny?

CF clutches.....if the motor is broken it can happen never seen one do it when everything is right. Not saying it cant happen but-
personally love them, great pedal feel smooth not muc pedal effort. Mines over 15 yrs old been on 3 motors
I have a 350 4 speed and all of a sudden started getting vibration. turns out the original rear transmission mount broke. changed it out and all is good
Old 12-04-2016, 01:31 PM
CiCiC3
Racer

No not anything to do with the engine. It idles fine. Like I say I have it in the shop now trying to repair the in key ignition switch on the column after just having a totally new install on that. It took about 2 wks for that to go from working like new to gradually not working at all. Then it's back to the other shop to have the clutch re-examined after repairing that. Maybe by Xmas we'll be rolling again.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:50 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

No not anything to do with the engine. It idles fine. Like I say I have it in the shop now trying to repair the in key ignition switch on the column after just having a totally new install on that. It took about 2 wks for that to go from working like new to gradually not working at all. Then it's back to the other shop to have the clutch re-examined after repairing that. Maybe by Xmas we'll be rolling again.
Did you pay any of these repairs by credit card ?

Quick Reply: Clutch peddle vibrates after new install