C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Bluetooth FM Transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 12:33 PM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Bluetooth FM Transmitter

Has anyone here tried one of these devices with the factory Bose sound system? There's so much nonsense on the FM band that I very seldom turn my radio on anymore but I'd like to be able to play the Rhapsody app from my iPhone. I ordered a transmitter from Amazon this morning just to try it out. It was only 20 bucks and they are pretty good on returns so I figured WTF.

https://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Tran...009T8GCYZ368MT
Old 11-30-2016, 03:43 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

I used to have one. It worked fine with my 95.
The following users liked this post:
RIC96 (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 08:10 PM
RIC96
Drifting

Originally Posted by markKlein
I used to have one. It worked fine with my 95.
Appreciate the response. It was time to move my C4 into the 21st century without ripping my dash apart and potentially causing other problems. I haven't driven it in eight years and I'm not looking for audiophile quality but I don't want to go back to am radio either. I guess everyone has already swapped out the stock system for something more current or just don't care.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:44 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by RIC96
Appreciate the response. It was time to move my C4 into the 21st century without ripping my dash apart and potentially causing other problems. I haven't driven it in eight years and I'm not looking for audiophile quality but I don't want to go back to am radio either. I guess everyone has already swapped out the stock system for something more current or just don't care.
what year are you? fm transmitters usually suck. if u r an early c4 i installed. luetooth with handsfree into my stock bose stereo it works perfectly
Old 12-01-2016, 08:01 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

FM is audio challenged. Like listening to compressed music. Bluetooth is compressed as well, but in a different way. Might as well go am.

Would be better if you could add an aux-in.

Then again, music in a car like this is a joke at less than ear splitting volume. Get some discreet headphones and call it a day?
Old 12-01-2016, 08:32 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Renfield
FM is audio challenged. Like listening to compressed music. Bluetooth is compressed as well, but in a different way. Might as well go am.

Would be better if you could add an aux-in.

Then again, music in a car like this is a joke at less than ear splitting volume. Get some discreet headphones and call it a day?
no offense, but this is a useless and misleading statement. Your comments are not only untrue but completely useless to the original posters goal.

modern A2DP systems do not degrade the quality of sound. it passes through the connecton as if it was wired. it depends on the codec but any modern (as in the past 10 years) buetooth stereo is fine.

https://www.lifewire.com/what-to-know-about-bluetooth-3134591
Old 12-01-2016, 08:43 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
no offense, but this is a useless and misleading statement. Your comments are not only untrue but completely useless to the original posters goal.

modern A2DP systems do not degrade the quality of sound. it passes through the connecton as if it was wired. it depends on the codec but any modern (as in the past 10 years) buetooth stereo is fine.

https://www.lifewire.com/what-to-kno...etooth-3134591
None taken.

If you like the sound, good for you. I stand by my post. FM audio adapters - with or without bluetooth - denigrate the audio. Cassette adapters are a higher order of quality. Aux in is best.

It's very much like a re-saved JPEG photo. Always arms length from the original.

The other problem with FM is this from the OP: "There's so much nonsense on the FM band". You have to have a clean channel to get anything.

I'm usually just thrilled to listen to the sound of my 'vette. But when I want music, it's always headphones.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:52 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

None taken.

If you like the sound, good for you. I stand by my post. FM audio adapters - with or without bluetooth - denigrate the audio. Cassette adapters are a higher order of quality. Aux in is best.

It's very much like a re-saved JPEG photo. Always arms length from the original.

The other problem with FM is this from the OP: "There's so much nonsense on the FM band". You have to have a clean channel to get anything.

I'm usually just thrilled to listen to the sound of my 'vette. But when I want music, it's always headphones.

yes fm is compressed.

not all bluetooth is. telephony headset codecs are. but those codecs are not used in modern high end stereo systems. zero degredation.

that is my point.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 12-01-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:31 AM
RIC96
Drifting

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
what year are you? fm transmitters usually suck. if u r an early c4 i installed. luetooth with handsfree into my stock bose stereo it works perfectly
I saw a thread you created detailing your journey to install bluetooth. It sounded like a complicated project, well beyond what I wanted to invest in a casual driven car. The adapter should arrive tomorrow and if I can get near FM quality, I'll be happy.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:44 AM
RIC96
Drifting

None taken.

I don't want to wear headphones while driving for obvious reasons. Anything short of CD, WAV or other lossless codecs is compressed but the factory Bose system isn't capable of showcasing their quality. If I can get the performance of a low bit rate mp3 file I'll be happy. Cassette level performance would be a disappointment. When I said nonsense on the FM band I was referring to idiot DJ's, endless commercials and content that doesn't appeal to me.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:37 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

another possibility would be the tape cassette adapter. there was one in a car i bought. i never used it but it would probably work.

u r right about the install for the bluetooth. its more complicated than a head unit swap out because you have to pull the bose head unit, open it and then install that mp3 cable then plug in the bluetooth media gateway.

hope you get the tunes a flowing!
The following users liked this post:
RIC96 (12-01-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 01:37 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by RIC96
I don't want to wear headphones while driving for obvious reasons. Anything short of CD, WAV or other lossless codecs is compressed but the factory Bose system isn't capable of showcasing their quality. If I can get the performance of a low bit rate mp3 file I'll be happy. Cassette level performance would be a disappointment. When I said nonsense on the FM band I was referring to idiot DJ's, endless commercials and content that doesn't appeal to me.
Obvious? Please explain.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:37 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

using headphones you can't hear an emergency siren horn.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:51 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Obvious? Please explain.
Illegal in many jurisdictions.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:12 PM
RIC96
Drifting

Obvious? Please explain.
I think headphones are dangerous, as mentioned above although I have an excellent set of Sennheisers for when I'm riding with the grandkids. I also have passengers and I can't converse nor can they hear the music. That said, the device arrived today and as far as I'm concerned, it's excellent. It was simple to configure and I was playing music from my phone in under five minutes. The static is inaudible unless you really have it cranked and then only between tracks. Sound quality is at least equal to FM so I am satisfied. It looks ok for a piece of plastic and although I can't attest to long term reliability, for 20 bucks I would just toss it and buy another if and when it fails. I'm just happy that I could find a cheap solution without ripping my dash apart.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:12 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by RUU
Illegal in many jurisdictions.
Ah. The law. Well, I have been known to, hold on to your hat, break the occasional law. Shhhh.

You still get a drivers license if you are deaf. What's different from listening to def jam? Get real.

Absurd laws degrade respect for all laws, IMO.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:15 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
using headphones you can't hear an emergency siren horn.
Really? I'm falling over laughing.

With my 21 year old Bose I can drown out ANY emergency siren ever made. No headphones required.

Sorry. Try harder.

Get notified of new replies

To Bluetooth FM Transmitter

Old 12-02-2016, 11:47 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Trying harder. Illegal in 3 states and semi-illegal in about a dozen others. Drive through them, get involved in an accident, and then you will get busted. You can always explain it all to a lawyer on your way to jail if someone gets hurt. Good bye.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:27 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Trying harder. Illegal in 3 states and semi-illegal in about a dozen others. Drive through them, get involved in an accident, and then you will get busted. You can always explain it all to a lawyer on your way to jail if someone gets hurt. Good bye.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:46 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Well, that's about the biggest struggle for a reason I've read in a long time. Good luck with that. There's a million ways to get jailed over a million things. I'll take my chances with headphones.

On a related note, I have driven 36 in a 35 zone. Once. Oh, and I DID inhale.

Cheers to all those deaf drivers not listening to emergency vehicles.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth FM Transmitter