C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LTCC guys

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 01:16 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Default LTCC guys

How did you mount your coils? I'm trying mount mine like torchtarga94, but I can't find that aluminum plate anywhere. 1st pic is his, 2nd is my car. Looking at my car, I don't even think the coils will fit under the hood.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:41 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

He probably just cut it, polished it from a flat sheet. That's what I would do. Pretty simple project.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:11 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I've never understood the coils mounted on the valve cover on Coil-Near-Plug applications...LT1/LTCC or Gen III^. No matter how fancily you mount them...the coils are ugly, when compared to the naked valve cover.

So here is my question/suggestion; why not mount the coils on the frame rails? Clean, out of sight, functional. That's where I'd put 'em.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:12 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I've never understood the coils mounted on the valve cover on Coil-Near-Plug applications...LT1/LTCC or Gen III^. No matter how fancily you mount them...the coils are ugly, when compared to the naked valve cover.

So here is my question/suggestion; why not mount the coils on the frame rails? Clean, out of sight, functional. That's where I'd put 'em.
I'm not a fan of their looks either. But I'll see what I can do.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:09 PM
Ron B C4
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
I'm not a fan of their looks either. But I'll see what I can do.
Been following all the LTCC threads. That is my biggest turnoff on those also. I will look for the build thread later. Someone made a bracket that puts them at the back of the valve covers. Has been the best looking set up so far.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:16 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

I believe the C4 has it's own particular set of circumstances and if you get to involved with "remote" mounting then the wiring harnesses and looms become issues. I doubt you can better the mounting BUT harnesses I'd think could be improved (under and through a plenum cover with a grommet) in the mentioned build. An aside I'd think is it presents a "conversation point". Hood up talk about it!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-02-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:25 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ron B C4
Been following all the LTCC threads. That is my biggest turnoff on those also. I will look for the build thread later. Someone made a bracket that puts them at the back of the valve covers. Has been the best looking set up so far.
No one wants to make those damn plates for me. It's getting annoying. May not even put the LTCC in my 93. Sucks cause I have all the parts. Makes me want to get a zr- 1
Old 12-02-2016, 05:29 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I can't see how the harness going from the engine to frame rails is any different than the ECM harness going from firewall to engine.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:18 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

I might not even not need those aluminum plates. What if I just make those holes bigger? I think if I do that, the valve cover bolts will go in. What do you guys think? On the driver's side, it worries me a bit. It looks like the plug wires for the coils on the far right, will rub with the EGR. Thoughts?
Old 12-02-2016, 08:38 PM
Ron B C4
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

This is the one I was looking at. Just a little less visible. I found it in this thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...for-power.html

Last edited by Ron B C4; 12-02-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:53 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ron B C4
This is the one I was looking at. Just a little less visible. I found it in this thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...for-power.html

Very cool! Can't believe I missed that in his thread! I think I'll end up doing it without those aluminum plates. Unless anyone objects, then I'll reconsider.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:04 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

So...

I think right now you need to ask yourself if you care about the coils being visible or not.

-If you think they are ugly or an eye sore, then find somewhere else to mount them, frame rails, firewall, etc...

-If you don't care how they look, install them on the valve covers. No clearance issues, easy to work on, etc...

Or...just not run the LTCC at all. You certainly don't need it. When you decided to delve into the LTCC project, you have to realize its just that, a project. There will be obstacles to over come, fabrication to do, wiring to do, etc...If this stage is fighting you, the wiring will be even harder for you. The plates are really easy to do. Do you need them? Nope you can throw those ebay brackets right to valve cover if you wish. I elevated mine up off the valve cover to provide a vibration/heat barrier and something that would be easy to mount to the composite valve covers.

FWIW- I tried, and tried, and tried to find a suitable place to mount the coils on the frame rails all tucked up and out the way. Sounds like a great idea and I am all about a "clean" look. I just couldn't make it happen. Everywhere I moved it ran I into another clearance issue. You either had to remove 5 other components to do it, or it was milimeters away from the exhaust manifold, steering intermediate shaft, you name it. These engine compartments are packed. And with the LTCC you want to try and keep as much heat, vibration, and moisture away from everything as possible. It's tough just to find a nice spot for the LTCC box itself without running into clearance issues. These brackets won't allow for it, you would have to do something very low profile/custom which I suppose wouldn't be too difficult with some flat stock and stainless all thread. I am sure you've seen all the creative stuff the F and B body crowd has come up with for coil mount solutions

Now, saying that, Tom is a pretty talented guy, and he could probably make it happen. I just didn't have the skills, patience, or determination to make it happen. If you want them on the frame rails bad enough, you will get them on the frame rails; ...my coils landed on the valve covers.

Frankly, I like the way they look. They don't bother me one bit up there. I hardly ever go to shows, this car is a driver not a beauty queen, but when I do occasionally drop by a cruise in and pop the hood it is a fun conversation piece, especially for people who once had an LT1 powered car and moved on. They notice and are intrigued. WVZR-1 really nailed it-

An aside I'd think is it presents a "conversation point". Hood up talk about it!!
Brandon, in the end its really up to you however you want to do it. The coils themselves are pretty indestructible and will survive nearly anywhere. I just tried to place them in a similar environment they were born in. You can mount those brackets straight to the valve cover if you wish, certainly would work. You may end up with oil leaks that way with the composite cover? Not sure. If you see my thread I used spacers and a big flat washer to create a seal against rubber VC Bolt seals since I wouldn't be reusing the factory bolts. I appreciate you taking the time to try to make it look like mine, but every car is a little different, may not work at all for you? Every brain is different as well, you may come up with something entirely better which is why I am going to keep following this thread
Old 12-03-2016, 08:33 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
So...

I think right now you need to ask yourself if you care about the coils being visible or not.

-If you think they are ugly or an eye sore, then find somewhere else to mount them, frame rails, firewall, etc...

-If you don't care how they look, install them on the valve covers. No clearance issues, easy to work on, etc...

Or...just not run the LTCC at all. You certainly don't need it. When you decided to delve into the LTCC project, you have to realize its just that, a project. There will be obstacles to over come, fabrication to do, wiring to do, etc...If this stage is fighting you, the wiring will be even harder for you. The plates are really easy to do. Do you need them? Nope you can throw those ebay brackets right to valve cover if you wish. I elevated mine up off the valve cover to provide a vibration/heat barrier and something that would be easy to mount to the composite valve covers.

FWIW- I tried, and tried, and tried to find a suitable place to mount the coils on the frame rails all tucked up and out the way. Sounds like a great idea and I am all about a "clean" look. I just couldn't make it happen. Everywhere I moved it ran I into another clearance issue. You either had to remove 5 other components to do it, or it was milimeters away from the exhaust manifold, steering intermediate shaft, you name it. These engine compartments are packed. And with the LTCC you want to try and keep as much heat, vibration, and moisture away from everything as possible. It's tough just to find a nice spot for the LTCC box itself without running into clearance issues. These brackets won't allow for it, you would have to do something very low profile/custom which I suppose wouldn't be too difficult with some flat stock and stainless all thread. I am sure you've seen all the creative stuff the F and B body crowd has come up with for coil mount solutions

Now, saying that, Tom is a pretty talented guy, and he could probably make it happen. I just didn't have the skills, patience, or determination to make it happen. If you want them on the frame rails bad enough, you will get them on the frame rails; ...my coils landed on the valve covers.

Frankly, I like the way they look. They don't bother me one bit up there. I hardly ever go to shows, this car is a driver not a beauty queen, but when I do occasionally drop by a cruise in and pop the hood it is a fun conversation piece, especially for people who once had an LT1 powered car and moved on. They notice and are intrigued. WVZR-1 really nailed it-

Brandon, in the end its really up to you however you want to do it. The coils themselves are pretty indestructible and will survive nearly anywhere. I just tried to place them in a similar environment they were born in. You can mount those brackets straight to the valve cover if you wish, certainly would work. You may end up with oil leaks that way with the composite cover? Not sure. If you see my thread I used spacers and a big flat washer to create a seal against rubber VC Bolt seals since I wouldn't be reusing the factory bolts. I appreciate you taking the time to try to make it look like mine, but every car is a little different, may not work at all for you? Every brain is different as well, you may come up with something entirely better which is why I am going to keep following this thread
I'm not a fan of their looks, but it's not that big of a problem for me. I do want the LTCC, it eliminates the high voltage passing through cap- I like that. I'm not a creative guy, I can do diagnostics and replace parts That's why I am copying your car
Oh, I know I'll have trouble with wiring. I'm gonna need my dad's help on that. Haven't started the wiring stuff, but if we can't get it, I'll just abort the project.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:08 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Sorry for these bad pics. But here goes some progress. Now, those fuel lines are super close to that coil pack.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:37 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Yup, EGR in the way big time. Just posting this for others that want to put an LTCC, and still have EGR. Props to whoever made it work.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:10 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

What I came up with. Do you guys think Taylor(plug wire company) will be able to make some plug wires to fit between the ASR?
Old 12-04-2016, 01:52 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

My wiring looks *** compared to everyone else's. How did you guys get it neat, by the coil packs? As you can see, I have no clue what I am doing. Just trying to learn.

Get notified of new replies

To LTCC guys

Old 12-04-2016, 01:54 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Old 12-04-2016, 07:09 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Couple of things:

-Do you need the AIR/EGR? Do you have emissions testing there in the big D?

-You will have interference issues with those brackets on the valve covers and all the emissions equipment. I would maybe look into having brackets made at a machine shop like Pete did.

-I folded my harness backward so it was not sticking out. Just figure out how you are going to route your wiring before you fire the car. Once the wires are heated for the first time they are pretty much like that forever.

-For the driver side bank I ran the coil harness wire up under the throttle body in a similar manner that the factory coil spark wire was ran. I later bought a LS1 Extension harness and routed the driver side harness up around and behind the engine.

Looks like you are making some progress and are starting to test out different ideas. That's all you can really do. It's trial and error mostly. Keep at it! Have fun.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:14 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

I do need the AIR and EGR in Dallas. But I won't need any of it in 2018! By interference, you mean not enough room? I agree, which sucks lol. The plug that comes with LTCC, that looks exactly like the opti test port, does that not connect to anything? Instructions on that don't seems clear to me. And yeah, I stopped by a machine shop near my dad's lot, but they were closed. I was testing the waters for location on the brain box. Found out if I put it where you and Pete have it, it gets wet in that area

Quick Reply: LTCC guys